Genesis, Firth Of Fifth - A Classical Musician’s First Listen and Reaction

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Great Review.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Her final review.

• I had noticed this too and was going to post it, but you beat me too it. I thought she had some interesting perspectives, making comparisons with various classical composers. I also like her analysis of some of the chord changes.

• I had noticed this too and was going to post it, but you beat me too it. I thought she had some interesting perspectives, making comparisons with various classical composers. I also like her analysis of some of the chord changes.

I agree. You can tell that she loved the music. Hearing a breakdown of a track definitely puts another perspective how you listen to music.

• In all honesty I wasn't going to watch this, mainly as I'm a bit tired of 'reaction' videos (which is to do with me, not the videos). But I caved, watched and enjoyed it. Her reactions are clear and well-expressed.

But most of all, it was fascinating and quite moving to hear her say one particular thing. I've always liked Hackett's guitar work, especially in Genesis, for its economy, clean lines and its ability to convey a story - in fact, the way it often sounds like a voice. That on first listen to the FoF solo, one of the best things he ever did, she is prompted to say it's like an actual voice and thus articulate my own long-held thoughts was a real pleasure for me to hear. (One of the things that saddens me about Hackett's current work is his abandonment of his old clean, pencil-sketch approach - the ridiculous protracted noodling he now does at the end of Supper's Ready is the antithesis of what once distinguished him from other rock guitarists).

This reaction video does more to make me hear the song afresh than most of this type. One unfortunate thing: the off-screen bloke's stupid question at the end, "So - Beatles or Genesis?" She handles it in a dignified and fair way, more so than it deserved.

The Beatles mention refers to her having done this same process with a few of their songs as she has never listened to any before. I watched one where she does Strawberry Fields, which is similarly interesting. She had previously done She's Leaving which I haven't watched yet but will.

But I don't feel very inspired to watch many others. There's a quite a reliance on Floyd and one or two other bands I'm not very interested in so I hope she does some more Beatles and Genesis soon. The only other one that appealed to me was Rush's La Villa Strangiato but annoyingly they give her the inferior live version to analyse, not the much better, more textured and nuanced studio original.

Abandon all reason

• the ridiculous protracted noodling he now does at the end of Supper's Ready is the antithesis of what once distinguished him from other rock guitarists).

I couldn't possibly agree more. He used to be (maybe still is) the ultimate proof that great guitar isn't about notes per minute. And nowhere better than FOF of course, my favourite guitar solo, by anyone, ever.

For reasons I can't explain I got slightly choked up watching that video, especially for Steve's solo. I have heard FOF countless times of course. But watching someone ELSE see it for the first time, and enjoy it, made it hit home even more on this occasion.

• 100% spot on, both on your comments on Hackett's guitar playing and reaction vids. I am not a fan AT ALL of the guitar solo he has tacked on to the end of Supper's Ready. It is just so "un-Steve" and in my opinion detracts from the natural drama at the end of that masterpiece of a song. As for reaction videos, it struck me a while back that every reaction video I was watching was overwhelming positive, with the "reactor" gesticulating in awe over how great (fill in the blank) song is, which of course leads to the inevitable hundreds of "thumbs up" from fans of the band and pleas that the reactor do (this other song) by the same band. At least in the case of this particular video I do get the sense that the person doing the reacting is both qualified and genuine.

• For reasons I can't explain I got slightly choked up watching that video, especially for Steve's solo. I have heard FOF countless times of course. But watching someone ELSE see it for the first time, and enjoy it, made it hit home even more on this occasion.

I did too, exactly as you describe.

I am not a fan AT ALL of the guitar solo he has tacked on to the end of Supper's Ready. It is just so "un-Steve" and in my opinion detracts from the natural drama at the end of that masterpiece of a song.

Good summing-up of why I dsilike it so much. The 'Eggs' segment is exactly the length it needs to be to bring the song to its perfect conclusion. Not only does his solo over-extend the segment and therefore dilute the impact of the ending, it's doing it by means of a solo that goes against everything that has made him such a singularly good guitarist.

As for reaction videos, it struck me a while back that every reaction video I was watching was overwhelming positive, with the "reactor" gesticulating in awe over how great (fill in the blank) song is, which of course leads to the inevitable hundreds of "thumbs up" from fans of the band and pleas that the reactor do (this other song) by the same band. At least in the case of this particular video I do get the sense that the person doing the reacting is both qualified and genuine.

Interesting point. It's what I assume leads some to suspect the videos are staged, or at least partly. Maybe there are negative reaction vids, we just haven't seen them or they get hidden out of wariness of a tsunami of angry responses! You know how irate rock fans can get at the slightest criticism of their idols.

Abandon all reason

• Not only does his solo over-extend the segment and therefore dilute the impact of the ending, it's doing it by means of a solo that goes against everything that has made him such a singularly good guitarist.

In a nutshell. Maybe he thinks he has to show off for the live audience a bit, but I can't imagine many of Steve's long term fans are impressed by some shredding tacked onto (what should be) the emotional climax of SR.

I was horrified. Almost as horrified as the funky version of IKWIL! ^^

• I was horrified. Almost as horrified as the funky version of IKWIL! ^^

Not sure if I've heard that.

I'd be interested to see Amy Shafer give this treatment to any of Watcher, Moonlit Knight, Ordeal, Carpet Crawlers, Lamia, Entangled, Ripples, Blood, Inside & Out, Down & Out, Duchess, M&SJ, Gonna Get Better, Throwing, Fading.

Abandon all reason

• Not sure if I've heard that.

I'd be interested to see Amy Shafer give this treatment to any of Watcher, Moonlit Knight, Ordeal, Carpet Crawlers, Lamia, Entangled, Ripples, Blood, Inside & Out, Down & Out, Duchess, M&SJ, Gonna Get Better, Throwing, Fading.

It was on his Seconds Out last year (or year before). It was his funky reworking of IKWIL.

I get his point, it's not like IKWIL has been road tested much.

• I agree that some reaction videos seem a little, err, planned. This one seems pretty genuine. There's a moment of surprise/awe with the crescendo in the guitar solo (mellotron and bass pedals come piling in) here:

External Content youtu.be

She's in mid-sentence and you can see her react and she stops talking for a few moments to absorb the experience.