TotW 03/06/2023 - 03/12/2023: GENESIS - Paperlate

• People can trash it for being too "poppy," but at least it's a song with real substance to it musically. On that measure alone I much prefer it to a song like Invisible Touch.

• Genesis at their poppiest still usually had some musical substance that demonstrated their underlying talent. Even Invisible Touch has that modulation to a G major chord in the verses before slipping back to the main key of F. Plus there is that weird bridge in Eb that would not show up in most pop songs. In I Can't Dance, most of the song is very straightforward, but that descending series of chords after the chorus is not a typical pop song thing to do. And not having any drums until 2/3 of the way in is definitely not a usual pop song move.

• Genesis at their poppiest still usually had some musical substance that demonstrated their underlying talent.

Well, yes, undoubtedly, they know their craft, they are certainly top drawer and we are reminded of that , even in their weakest songs but I must say I don't find much substance to Paperlate, there is IMO a bit more in NRAA, even though it's another one I dislike.

• Well, yes, undoubtedly, they know their craft, they are certainly top drawer and we are reminded of that , even in their weakest songs but I must say I don't find much substance to Paperlate, there is IMO a bit more in NRAA, even though it's another one I dislike.

I agree that there is more substance to No Reply at All, particularly in Tony's keyboard playing. In addition, I've always fancied the "drop down" when Phil is singing "There's no reply at all, there's no reply at all" toward the end of the song (Not being a musician I'm not sure if what I'm referencing is a cord change or a key change--or neither).

• Well, yes, undoubtedly, they know their craft, they are certainly top drawer and we are reminded of that , even in their weakest songs but I must say I don't find much substance to Paperlate, there is IMO a bit more in NRAA, even though it's another one I dislike.

I also prefer NRAA of the two, particularly for Tony's keyboards and Mike's bassline. I still like Paperlate nonetheless.

• I also prefer NRAA of the two, particularly for Tony's keyboards and Mike's bassline. I still like Paperlate nonetheless.

''Prefer'' would be too strong a word for me when talking about NRAA but I do appreciate Mike's work on the bass and the break, in the bridge, slowing down the song. Tony's keyboards are interesting too, it's just the interplay with the horns, that really doesn't work for me. Ultimately a minor detail though, because horns or less, the song per se wouldn't be amongst my favorites. that doesn't work for me, By comparison, Paperlate sounds like a filler to me.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I always found No Reply more boring. The chords never leave the diatonic scale, pretty sure Phil came up with the chords, it sounds very much like him. Paperlate has some unexpected Tony chords.

• No Reply has a simple and emotional PC-like lyrics, while Paperlate is a confusing sociopolitical text (TB?).

No Reply have a great horns and drums duets and the final special is excellent:

"Maybe deep down inside

I'm tryin' for no one else but me

Too stubborn to say, "The buck stops here"

"I'm not the one you're lookin' for"

But maybe deep down inside, I'm lyin'

To no one else but me

Oh, but my back is up. I'm on my guard

With all the exits sealed".

No Reply- Paperlate 2-0.;)

• No Reply has a simple and emotional PC-like lyrics, while Paperlate is a confusing sociopolitical text (TB?).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lyrics to "No Reply at All" are Mike's and the lyrics to "Paperlate" are Phil's.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Prefer could simply mean dislike less ;)

The language fails me sometimes ;) In the end, even though I agree that something interesting can be found even in their weakest songs, I would have a hard time extolling the virtues of either, but again, Paperlate has a clear filler quality to my ears. Even Phil's vocals, as energetic as ever, don't sound as refined and polished as on other Abacab songs.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().