PETER GABRIEL - Playing For Time - track discussion

• The other interesting thing to note are the sections where he sings in a much lighter, gentler style that seems almost reminiscent of his singing in the 70s, e.g., "Never fade away" at 0:57, "Play again, play again" at 1:12.

Glad to see I wasn't completely off in spotting something unusual in the vocals, as I said though, I need to listen to it a couple of times more to elaborate.

• I like this one better than the other two, quite reminiscent of Randy Newman, some moments are Peter in top form. He sounds great, although at first listen, the voice production seems to have a demo quality to it, less polished than usual, it sounds obviously deliberate, but I need more listens to be able to put my finger on it.

For me it's very far from sounding like a demo. It's a more raw production on the voice but also more natural. Without the useless effects that we sometimes find on his voice. The sound recording is just magnificent with a very pure rendering.

• Official Post

In his deep dive video for the Bandcamp subscribers, Peter introduced another version of the song with full band and announced to add that to the subscribers exclusives soon

• For me it's very far from sounding like a demo. It's a more raw production on the voice but also more natural. Without the useless effects that we sometimes find on his voice. The sound recording is just magnificent with a very pure rendering.

As I said, I don't have a specific opinion on it yet, I said demo for lack of better words, you say ''raw production and more natural'', which could be a potato-potahto case, so I'll go along with it. I just noticed that something was different. It might be that he was in fact channeling Randy Newman, definitely a lesser vocalist than Peter, even though quite effective. Anyway, I like how he delivers the song, very subdued in the first part, it seems appropriate for the type of song and lyrics but I have to say I also like the effects he normally uses for his voice which I think he knows very well by now, he knows what works and personally I don't think he ever overdoes it.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I've not seen anyone - anywhere - comment on the similarity to Washing Of The Water when PFT moves to "part two". Just me?

It's funny. Because I hadn't listen that song for years, but its melody came back strongly in my head some time after I heard PFT. So there must be something in the vibe.

• Official Post

To do songs that way is not THAT uncommon, but yes, washing of the water is a good reference here.

I was more thinking about Father, Son and Here Comes The Flood when I first heard the track.

Still grows - such a wonderful track! I wonder how the other nix will sound

• Bright side version of Playing for time is online now. As usual beautiful mix. The ending is less dramatic, with less bass drum, but it's beautifully managed. This engineer is a master for subtlety. The strings and the voice sound amazing. I'm a fan.

I also like the dramatic option of the dark side mix, with is probably more typical Gabriel, but again I vote for the Bright option :)

I really loved the In-Side mix of Panopticon, but I'm quite disappointed with the result of The Court and PFT. When you compare, the quality of the sound is just not as good.

• Official Post

This is the Bright Side Mix

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Difficult to say which one is my favourite. The "Bright" one is... brighter, at least in the first part : more clarity, a bit more top end, each instrument apart from the orchestra seems to be more discernible (e.g. the damper noises of the piano), and the voice cuts more through the overall mix (less reverb). Perfect for today's standard (radio promo and so on).

The "Dark" one is more about the overall balance between everyone, even if the strings and the horns are more present. Also in the final part, the drums are a lot more present in this mix (especially in the low end), and there's few details in the string part there, that I can barely hear in the "Bright" one (listen at 5:13, there are some high notes in the Dark mix).

• I must say I prefer the Dark Side Mix. The Bright Side sounds much more acoustic and simplified. The vocals and piano are brought out more prominently, the drums sound softer as if brushes were used-but come thru in the mix more clearly, due to the less complex instrumentation and effects. And there are only strings-not full orchestral arrangement like the Dark Side Mix. There seems to be overall a more raw and less polished sound, Like a version one might hear live, where the Dark Side mix sounds more like a studio version in the way it was mixed.

• Official Post

I must say I prefer the Dark Side Mix. The Bright Side sounds much more acoustic and simplified. The vocals and piano are brought out more prominently, the drums sound softer as if brushes were used-but come thru in the mix more clearly, due to the less complex instrumentation and effects. And there are only strings-not full orchestral arrangement like the Dark Side Mix. There seems to be overall a more raw and less polished sound, Like a version one might hear live, where the Dark Side mix sounds more like a studio version in the way it was mixed.

Having played the BS mix several times now (and having a spontaneous slight favor for the Bright Side), I probably feel the same. The dark side mix is it.

• I do prefer the bright-side mix, actually. The last part comes in better I think. It's less "wall of sound" like.

Peter has announced a band version for the Bandcampers. THAT should be interesting.

• I do prefer the bright-side mix, actually. The last part comes in better I think. It's less "wall of sound" like.

Peter has announced a band version for the Bandcampers. THAT should be interesting.

That's something I'm looking forward to hearing as well!

Nevertheless the bandcamp thing is a good deal for fans. Undercurrents was released quite unexpectedly.

• It's a nice track, but I don't think it's something special.

I am more hoping for something straight forward for the next one, i.e. like Steam or Shock the monkey.

Steam is an average song but nothing spectacular. It's more like a Sledgehammer "pastiche".

Playing for time is a far better song in my opinion.

• Steam is an average song but nothing spectacular. It's more like a Sledgehammer "pastiche".

Playing for time is a far better song in my opinion.

Provided that the two are so different they can't possibly be compared, I agree with your assessment of Steam, good song but highly derivative. As for Playing for time, after several listen, it's a good song, it caught my fancy much more than the previous two releases, particularly in the case of Panopticon, there's nothing there, as much as I'm concerned, it borders on poor. I still hope he has something better in store.