PETER GABRIEL - Playing For Time - track discussion

• Official Post

... and now Playing For Time (Up Tempo Time) is available for all bandcamp subscribers

• Interesting, but it's still very much a work in progress version. There is quite some work to be done on the arrangement to make that version really work.

The released Dark and Bright versions are a better direction to my ears...

• Steam is an average song but nothing spectacular. It's more like a Sledgehammer "pastiche".

Playing for time is a far better song in my opinion.

Let's be honest: Steam and Kiss that Frog were blatant efforts to replicate the general sound and sexual lyrics of Steam. Peter was trying to cash in on a formula that had worked well on the previous album.

• Let's be honest: Steam and Kiss that Frog were blatant efforts to replicate the general sound and sexual lyrics of Steam. Peter was trying to cash in on a formula that had worked well on the previous album.

I agree, although personally, I would rate Steam much higher than Kiss that Frog.

• I know we're getting way off topic here, but who cares...

Steam is very derivative of Sledgehammer; it's even in the same key. Kiss That Frog is at least a bit different. I know most people really don't like it, but I don't mind his infrequent forays into whimsy. While it doesn't hold up to the stronger songs on Us, it does provide some contrast and variety.

• I know we're getting way off topic here, but who cares...

While it doesn't hold up to the stronger songs on Us, it does provide some contrast and variety.

I consider US the last, truly great Peter's album but even on great albums you'll have one or 2 fillers or weaker songs. KTF certainly falls into that category for me. I'm not outraged by it but it truly is weak.

• Official Post

I consider US the last, truly great Peter's album but even on great albums you'll have one or 2 fillers or weaker songs. KTF certainly falls into that category for me. I'm not outraged by it but it truly is weak.

funny, i like Kiss That Frog and I said to someone today that I hope the next track for i/o will be something uptempo and pushing as Kiss That Frog or Steam have been. We’ll see.
    Will put on Kiss That Frog again tomorrow …

• So apparently according to his interview (highlights posted on the main page here), PG said that he has around five "up-tempo" songs. He also mentions so far having about 16 songs locked down for the album (not sure if he'll include them all). But 5 out of 16 isn't bad in terms of uptempo verses quiet/slow ratio. It's almost a third of the material.

I guess we'll see. I don't really care how many fast or slow songs he has-as long as they're catchy/beautiful. I just hope the album isn't just full of super slow, orchestra-heavy songs like what we've heard from him most recently (scratch my back/new blood). Been there, heard that.

Bring back the BEAT!

• ... and now Playing For Time (Up Tempo Time) is available for all bandcamp subscribers

That's really interesting, isn't it?

I understand Peter that he followed another path with that song but I like this "listen to another version of that song" approach. Hope to get more of that from future releases!

• I'm enjoying his alternate releases of songs...It's a fun way to release new material! Although I will say I'm wondering how he will select songs for the album. If I were to get the album say...on vinyl, let's say he picks like 14 songs. Which versions will they be? Will he pick? Or will he release two different versions of the album, like a "bright version" and a "dark version?"

And I guess I'll throw this in there: WHEN will he release the album? He starts his tour in a little over a month...presumably he'll be including several new songs. Wouldn't he want the album to be released by then so people can buy it in tandem with his shows (which is how it's always basically been done)?

• Official Post

Italian Dusk Magazine confirms this song was played in the acoustic set of the Back To Front Tour. :)

really? Well it's no secret to be revealed exclusively by someone. It's just fact.

We "confirmed" this as well:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…me-7-March-2023-s877.html

It was called "o But" on the Encore Series CDs and "Daddy Long Legs" on the Back To Front Concert film. Quite obvious this is the "baby" version of Playing For Time, isn't it?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Agreed. I think anyone who saw him or picked up one of the Encore CDs from that tour will have recognized it's the same tune.

• All those heavy emotions this great track has ... they are all vanishing when you play the track i/o next! Really curious if those tracks will be at the end of the final album version.