Alternatives to the box set.

• A little while back I came across some CDs by doing the old fashioned method of popping in to HMV. I found number of CDs of complete shows from several tours that were broadcast that I don't think I would have known about otherwise. I've been waiting for the box set though before buying. Now it's out I'm can't say I'm keen, ( the first time I've not been keen to get a Genesis release), so I've bought a couple of others to start off with.

genesis-news.com/forum/dashboard/index.php?attachment/4583/

So I have this. The complete show.

And this.

genesis-news.com/forum/dashboard/index.php?attachment/4584/

Haven't played them yet so don't know the quality, but actually hoping they sound as broadcast.

There are other broadcast shows a available and I found a recording of the Six of The Best rehearsal.

• I got Page Not Found for those links. Can you tell us what they are?

If one of them is Chicago 78 'Windy City' I can say it's pretty good.

I also have the Six Of rehearsal, recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, which is also not bad.

Abandon all reason

• Oh and I too got mine at HMV. The Inverness branch was one saved from closure due to its location. They have a whole section given over to radio broadcasts of various bands.

Abandon all reason

• All you need in replacement of the box set is:

Genesis The Complete BBC Sessions

1980 Lyceum Show TM Remaster

1987 Wembley Live In The City Of Light

These sets trump the official BBC Broadcasts and are complete.

• The links didn't work. I'll admit my ignorance here and inquire about where you can purchase those types of CDs. I keep finding listings of bootleg concert CDs online, but every site I come across makes a big deal out of trading CDs instead of selling them for cash (despite the fact we all know that cash, cash, cash can do anything well :))

• Don't necessarily accept what these grey market releases claim themselves to be. Many are described incorrectly as radio broadcasts to get around copyright loopholes in certain countries and give them some dubious legality so they can be sold through legitimate outlets. The 1982 reunion rehearsal is typical - it's a soundboard recording of a behind-closed-doors rehearsal in Hammersmith Odeon and was of course never broadcast. The CD claims it to be in front of a small audience at Hammersmit Palais which subsequently went out on the radio, how do they make up this crap? It's not even the full thing, dropping several tracks to fit it onto a single CD.

I think it's very much a case of buyer beware with these kind of releases. The labels that put them out are rarely dilligent in searching out the best sources - the Ultimate Lyceum has tracks missing tracks, muddy sound and is mono, when there are several top quality versions in circulation that they could have easily downloaded instead of whatever source they used.

These things are 100 % unauthorised and no royalties will ever find themselves to the band or their record label, so just download them off the Movement instead, at least you know what version you're getting.

• Don't necessarily accept what these grey market releases claim themselves to be. Many are described incorrectly as radio broadcasts to get around copyright loopholes in certain countries and give them some dubious legality so they can be sold through legitimate outlets. The 1982 reunion rehearsal is typical - it's a soundboard recording of a behind-closed-doors rehearsal in Hammersmith Odeon and was of course never broadcast. The CD claims it to be in front of a small audience at Hammersmit Palais which subsequently went out on the radio, how do they make up this crap? It's not even the full thing, dropping several tracks to fit it onto a single CD.

I think it's very much a case of buyer beware with these kind of releases. The labels that put them out are rarely dilligent in searching out the best sources - the Ultimate Lyceum has tracks missing tracks, muddy sound and is mono, when there are several top quality versions in circulation that they could have easily downloaded instead of whatever source they used.

These things are 100 % unauthorised and no royalties will ever find themselves to the band or their record label, so just download them off the Movement instead, at least you know what version you're getting.

Ok, so here is the single most stupid question undoubtedly ever asked on this forum: how does one download something from The Movement website? I am a techno-idiot of epic proportions, and every time I go on that site (numerous times over the last few years) I'm always left flummoxed, unable to figure how to download a concert. I'm counting on the understanding and sympathy of my fellow fans to shield me from the slings and arrows of well-deserved mockery over my computer illiteracy.:)

• I am similarly placed. Would love to do this but have never been able to follow the various layers of instructions. I suspect this is partly because a tech manager where I used to work advised against it as you leave your PC open to threat whilst downloading and uploading. Now I may have misunderstood him and/or he may be wrong but it was enough to put me off, alongside my technical incompetence. Any enlightenment gratefully received!

• Someone else can step in and correct me here, but my memory of downloading from that site (it has been a good while), was that I downloaded BitTorrent, set it up, and then just selected the concert I wanted. Someone has to be seeding it of course, otherwise it just hangs in purgatory. If there are several seeders the download is faster.

• Someone else can step in and correct me here, but my memory of downloading from that site (it has been a good while), was that I downloaded BitTorrent, set it up, and then just selected the concert I wanted. Someone has to be seeding it of course, otherwise it just hangs in purgatory. If there are several seeders the download is faster.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe it's called uTorrent and it's a free download.

I recall being very hesitant at first, having limited knowledge of its use, thinking it might be complicated and too much trouble.

But once I downloaded the program, I would click on whatever recordings I wanted and they would download onto my computer.

I was pleasantly surprised how simple it was to use.

I was like a kid in a candy store for a while.

Thanks for the help. Mind if if I ask what “seeding” means?

• Sounds cool. I’ll give it a try.

• Thanks for the help. Mind if if I ask what “seeding” means?

If you download something using torrents, as you download it to your computer, you are also sharing it with others by uploading it. Once it's fully downloaded, as long as you leave the torrent program running on your computer, you will be "seeding" it, so if someone else comes long to download it they will, at least partially, be downloading it from you. If there are 100 people seeding it, if someone comes along to download it (which if I recall used to be called "leeching") they'll download it very fast. If there's one person seeding a concert and 100 people trying to download it, it will be very very slow.

Witchwood is correct, I think the one I used was uTorrent too, but there used to be several of these torrent servers to choose from. Torrentz was another one I think. It is a little daunting if it's completely new to you, but pretty easy to get up and running. Also, leaving it running and uploading after you've downloaded something used to be considered good form, but in the earlier days i ran foul of the old data limits internet companies used to impose if I accidentally left something uploading for days, so I'd be screwed and left with terribly slow internet for the rest of the month 😆

Edit: I assume leaving it seeding for a while is still considered good form, it's how the community shares.

• If you download something using torrents, as you download it to your computer, you are also sharing it with others by uploading it. Once it's fully downloaded, as long as you leave the torrent program running on your computer, you will be "seeding" it, so if someone else comes long to download it they will, at least partially, be downloading it from you. If there are 100 people seeding it, if someone comes along to download it (which if I recall used to be called "leeching") they'll download it very fast. If there's one person seeding a concert and 100 people trying to download it, it will be very very slow.

Witchwood is correct, I think the one I used was uTorrent too, but there used to be several of these torrent servers to choose from. Torrentz was another one I think. It is a little daunting if it's completely new to you, but pretty easy to get up and running. Also, leaving it running and uploading after you've downloaded something used to be considered good form, but in the earlier days i ran foul of the old data limits internet companies used to impose if I accidentally left something uploading for days, so I'd be screwed and left with terribly slow internet for the rest of the month 😆

Edit: I assume leaving it seeding for a while is still considered good form, it's how the community shares.

Sounds pretty easy. Thanks :)