9. 07 points - satisfactory - (3) 11%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (1) 4%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - Get'em Out By Friday
    Year: 1972
    Album: Foxtrot
    Working title:
    Credits: Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 8:35
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: 1972, 1973
    Cover versions: Steve Hackett, among others

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ]

Notes: Get'em Out By Friday from the album Foxtrot is a classic long song by Genesis with a playing time of over eight minutes, which differs somewhat from many others in its style. It lacks the sprawling instrumental part. Interestingly, the song never became a live classic, yet the performance by the Canadian band The Musical Box has repeatedly caused storms of enthusiasm since 2002 and also Steve Hackett has played this live during some of his Genesis Revisited tours.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• It's a very classic or typical example of Genesis at it's proggiest. 13. I like it, I think the more effective parts are the emotional bits from the point of view of the tenants. However, the whole thing feels just a little forced somehow to me, and as a result I always preferred Hogweed (I find the tracks analogous to one another, but I prefer NC to Foxtrot for being freer and Hogweed vs Friday is a nice representation of the differences).

• Hmm. Comfortably my least favourite track on the album. In fact probably one of my least favourite PG era songs, full stop.

I appreciate it's very popular, and I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't resonate with me. I think it's probably the actual "Get em out by Friday" sections.

I've heard it said that this was much better when heard live, but I wasn't around for that.

I'll take Timetable over this any day of the week, including friday.

• My least favorite track on FOXTROT. Musically there's nothing much to complain about. Lyrically, I'd say that Peter's reach exceeded his grasp. I now know what he was trying to say and why; but before I had that information the song didn't make much sense to me. It's also the kind of song that's hard to follow without the printed lyrics, which make it clear who's saying what, etc.; and I didn't originally have those available to me. (I had similar issues with "All in a Mouse's Night" when first hearing it.)

Trivia (which most of you probably know by now): John Hackett makes an uncredited contribution to the music.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited 3 times, last by DecomposingMan ().

• 13 from me. It’s a cracker. Very complicated and possibly only works because Phil’s arranging skills rescued it. The sort of stop/start chopping and changing suits the little playlet style of the lyrics and different characters so it doesn’t become clever for its own sake. My intro to Genesis came from a hand me down copy of Genesis Live and it does pack more of a punch there than on Foxtrot. Likewise, Steve’s recent live version is excellent. Great playing and vocal performance, a complex structure needing tight playing and a vocal tour de force from Gabriel. I really like the flute as well!

• My intro to Genesis came from a hand me down copy of Genesis Live and it does pack more of a punch there than on Foxtrot.

I do like Peter's added emphasis on the LIVE version: "...restriction on humanoid HEIGHT!" When first hearing the studio original, I thought he was saying something about "humanoid hide."

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I adore this verse:

"After all this time, they ask us to leave

And I told them we could pay double the rent

I don't know why it seemed so funny

Seeing as how they'd take more money".

There's emotion, humor, poetry... 8)

• In my teens I thought it was really clever and oh look it's got different characters and stuff. Now, 40 years later I wouldn't even consider playing it. I agree with the above comment re Time Table, not a track I like either but I'd choose it over this one. Both are Foxtrot's low point for me.

If I were to give it a listen I'd go for the Genesis Live one for the better energy. About 12 (?) years ago I went to a Hackett gig, 1st half solo material and 2nd half Genesis which kicked off with Friday. It was a very uninspiring opening and did nothing to improve the song in my estimation.

Abandon all reason

• I like it. I gave it a 13. But I can appreciate, it’s not for everyone. It’s a quirky, character-filled story song with changing tempos. Not every listener wants to go on that musical ride.

I would compare it to The Battle of Epping Forest which, I think has similar qualities and both songs seem to be a source of contention for some fans.

I also agree with those who much prefer the live version of GEOBF. But then I’d also say that about Supper’s Ready and Watcher of the Skies. All three, IMO, are just much more powerful live.

• Odd thing. I was going to change my score from 13 to 11 after giving it more thought, but I actually listened to it and the downgrade is only to 12. The reason for this is the quality of the band's playing, they're tighter and have a more confident sound than I remember. I still think the story aspect is clunky (although I have to acknowledge the ambition of telling a big dystopian tale in a song), it drags too much in the middle, and I still prefer Hogweed. But Friday I can listen to, whereas Epping Forest by comparison is awful dross to my ears.

• 9 from me. I think all other tracks on Foxtrot are better than this one. It sometimes takes off (the start is really stunning), but then it stumbles and isas chaotic as Battle of Epping Forest on the next album

• 12/15 pts

I like the crazy story and most of the track's arrangement. I agree it could have been arranged better in some places, but overall a great track.

... make tomorrow today!

• 13/15 for me. I quite enjoy the story, and the music is classic prog. What holds it back a little for me is there is a lot crammed in at times vocally. It reminds me of Mike's criticism of some of those early songs being too busy in parts (He has said that for example about certain bits in Watcher as well as sections of Epping Forest).