Genesis: "Tales from the Night Ride" (by Jonathan Dann)

• Official Post

indeed a great piece! Thanks.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Thoughts after looking at this:

The line-up of Genesis that recorded the Night Ride session.

I guess the bearded guy on the right is John Mayhew? This doesn't resemble any other photo I've seen of him.

Each of us had to go and be interviewed and introduce a track... I just panicked and thought "I can't do this!"... Each guy went up and was interviewed and I just disappeared. They just introduced each track in a very simple way.

It would be interesting to hear these introductions, even though Ant excluded himself from them.

being released officially for the first time.[4]

There's no actual footnote #4. There's not even a "[3]" anywhere in the text. Oh well.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Thanks for the kind comments about the feature.

being released officially for the first time.[4]

There's no actual footnote #4. There's not even a "[3]" anywhere in the text. Oh well.

There were footnotes 3 & 4 but I decided to take them out. I'll remove the [4] from the text which was left in by mistake - thanks for spotting it.

• Thanks for the kind comments about the feature.

Thank you Jonathan for your work on this feature. It's a nice history lesson about Genesis in their early days that we don't hear much about. I was interested in the back story about the loss of that early version of Dusk, even though we got an earlier version on the first Archive release.

Also interesting is the fact that the band never officially released Looking For Someone from the Night Ride session. I've heard bootleg versions and to me that version is better than the one that appeared on Trespass. I think it sounds better because of the raw feeling the BBC Sessions give it. I would have thought Genesis would have released it on the latest BBC box set, but unfortunately there was a lot more material that was left off.

• About those lost demo tapes - when was the last time Ant combed through his attic?

That would have been in around 2009 just prior to the attic being cleared to make way for a loft conversion. He gave me the all the remaining tapes that had been stored up there and I went through everything - there was no sign of any Genesis recordings.

• Many thanks Jonathan for your very informative and comprehensing article.

That BBC session is a very important piece of Genesis history and you made it justice gathering all the possible details surrounding it.

Can i ask you, if possible, to share a better quality pic of the Radio Times billing for the (then) forthcoming Night Ride broadcast?