PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Track discussion

• Official Post

It would be nice to have a proper mix of that more experimental version of I/O on the album

I agree but I am not sure he has finished this version. The guitar solo is also … well … Rutherfordish

• I guess this does add validation to the idea that's been occasionally discussed, that PG may ultimately include different versions on his i/o album compared with the ones we've heard so far. This alternate mix proves that there are still additional mixes out there.

My guess is there'll be a standard edition, and at least one deluxe edition containing the main album plus every brightside/darkside/inside/outside/upside/downside/ironside/fungicide/insecticide mix known to humanity.

Abandon all reason

• I like this a lot! I do understand why he didn't use this approach in the end (actually, the two parts that are missing in the final mix are indeed very different from the general song melodies), but nevertheless it would be nice to hear a final version in this style.

• I agree but I am not sure he has finished this version. The guitar solo is also … well … Rutherfordish

Haha ^^ I've never been a fan of guitar solos !

The middle part has an interesting melody / harmony. Sounds a bit Genesis ?

And what I love most is all the end, with that super groovy whole band playing together. And that guitar ! It's so full of life ! It's probably a little long, but this freedom, the lack of precise structure suits the song theme quite well.

And it reminds me a bit of Talking Heads<3!

It sounds unfinished though. You can hear those 2 new parts were glued in. The sound is different.

But it's all natural, relaxed. I enjoy it.

• Il semble en entendant cette 'première' version (et la 'post band version' de Road to joy) que, décidément, pour ces nouvelles compositions, le choix de PG a été 'less is more'.

• The postband version of I/O is brilliant. I hope he saves those last 3 minutes of Dantesque instrumentation for an alternative version. If the bridge needs revising, this version is superior in every way to the single.

• Anyone else hearing the similarity in the falsetto in “i/o” to ‘Fallen Angel” (Robbie Robertson album collaboration w PG 1987)?

• Official Post

There has an officiel video been released today for i/o (the song).

Parts of it have been used for the visuals of the tour.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have listened to both songs and in my humble opinion they are different. Perhaps what makes them similar is that in Fallen Angel RR sings as if he were talking, just as PG does at the beginning of I/o.

On the other hand, although I'm going off topic, the soundtrack of Martin Scorsese's last film has music by Robie Robertson (RR).