PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Track discussion

• Official Post

6 April - the tiitle track, i/o (Bright-Side Mix)

Details here

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…the-title-track-n872.html

• i/o - CREDITS:

Words and Music Peter Gabriel

Engineering by Oli Jacobs, Katie May

Additional engineering by Dom Shaw

Assistant engineering by Faye Dolle, Dom Shaw

Pre-production engineering by Richard Chappell

Produced by Peter Gabriel

Mixed by Mark 'Spike' Stent

Mastered by Matt Colton at Metropolis

Recorded at Real World Studios, Bath, The Beehive, High Seas Studios, South Africa

Cover image: Colour experiment no. 114, 2022 by Olafur Eliasson

Oil on canvas, ø Diameter 80 cm

Courtesy of the artist; Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York / Los Angeles; neugerriemschneider, Berlin

Photo: Jens Ziehe

Drums: Manu Katché

Rhythm Programming: Peter Gabriel, Oli Jacobs

Percussion: Katie May

Bass: Tony Levin

Electric Guitars: David Rhodes

Rickenbacker Guitar: Katie May

Acoustic Guitar: Katie May

Piano: Peter Gabriel

Synths: Peter Gabriel

Additional Synths: Katie May, Oli Jacobs

D Whistle: Richard Evans

BVs: David Rhodes, Peter Gabriel

Choir: Soweto Gospel Choir

Soprano: Linda Sambo, Nobuhle Dhlamini, Phello Jiyane, Victoria Sithole

Alto Maserame Ndindwa, Phumla Nkhumeleni, Zanele Ngwenya, Duduzile Ngomane

Tenor: George Kaudi, Vusimuzi Shabalala, Xolani Ntombela, Victor Makhathini

Bass: Thabang Mkhwanazi, Goodwill Modawu, Warren Mahlangu, Fanizile Nzuza

Musical Director / Vocal Arranger: Bongani (Honey) Ncube

Choir Engineer: Jacques Du Plessis

LVs: Peter Gabriel

• Official Post

Just heard the complete track. A wonderful song, beautifully arranged ... catchy melody

• Official Post

Full moon video also available

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

The track

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

It's a beautiful track but I'm a little bit frustrated that the song ends a little dry.

That was my very first impression, but hearing this again it makes sense to stop and not make it longer.

by the way, this track was obviously intended for the June Full Moon. At least according to Bandcamp.

• The verses a bit too long and monotonous, however saved by the drums and the lyrics. The chorus I/O I/O exciting because it reminds me of the best Cars PG. 8)

• I'm trying hard to like it, but this song doesn't do anything to me. It average to my ears. 1000 times already heard on radios.

And although I like the idea he's expressing, the lyrics lack some poetry .

He's trying too hard on this one imho

• I'm trying hard to like it, but this song doesn't do anything to me. It average to my ears. 1000 times already heard on radios.

And although I like the idea he's expressing, the lyrics lack some poetry .

He's trying too hard on this one imho

That was my first impression, but now it's my favorite so far. He doesn't try hard, it's a simple tune you can sing along to. And I believe it will be a big number live!

Quite stunning, how happy he sounds when he sings about his own obituary, isn't it?

• Good for you ! :)

It's nice he's making light / happy songs I find. I quite liked Panopticom.

Also nice he's doing something different than before (although I would love some tracks that are more moody, emotional or with some textures …:)

As that song is so simple, I don't think it will grow on me. But in the middle of an album, the track won't hurt if it has some nice neighborhood !;)

• I quite like this song. I think Panopticom is still my favorite so far, but this one is close. So far the only one I'm not a huge fan of really is The Court. But i/o has a really catchy and memorable melody. There's a LOT of lyrics he has to get thru, and the phrase i/o is a bit awkward for a repeating refrain but he makes it work still.

Great song.

• Although on the other 3 tracks I love the bright side mixes, I really hope the dark side mix will bring something extra to the track. I really really dislike the drum sound here, with that super thin and compressed kick drum...

• If you dislike something you don't like it, simple as that and absolutely fair enough but even so, I'm truly baffled by some of the negative comments and nitpicking here.

I like this a lot and am enjoying its clean, organic, unfussy sound. The chorus has really nice uplift and the shifting piano-led line under it has a great feel.

Abandon all reason