PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Track discussion

• If you dislike something you don't like it, simple as that and absolutely fair enough but even so, I'm truly baffled by some of the negative comments and nitpicking here.

I like this a lot and am enjoying its clean, organic, unfussy sound. The chorus has really nice uplift and the shifting piano-led line under it has a great feel.

I like this track as well! A sing-along melody wasn't something I expected. Surely it will be played live.

• If you dislike something you don't like it, simple as that and absolutely fair enough but even so, I'm truly baffled by some of the negative comments and nitpicking here.

I like this a lot and am enjoying its clean, organic, unfussy sound. The chorus has really nice uplift and the shifting piano-led line under it has a great feel.

It's not a big deal. It seems the track splits opinions, yes. I'am a little disappointed with this one, yes. Being the title track, my hopes where maybe too big ?

And I thought at 70 Peter would relax and let go with the idea of trying to go in the charts ? Something seems somehow forced here.

Of course there are nice ideas / elements in there. The melody is catchy. Piano is nice also. I wouldn't say the track sounds organic. It sounds a little cold to my ears. At least on the rhythmic side (Compare the amazingly living drum sound of Sledgehammer for example) I miss maybe some Daniel Lanois touch here :).

But I understand what you mean when you say you enjoy the unfussy sound !

Many people seem to like it also ! So it must not be that wrong.8)

Anyway, the average level of what we've got until now is very high and I am as always looking forward to the next one ! (and curious about the DSM of I/O).

Cheers

• I thought at 70 Peter would relax and let go with the idea of trying to go in the charts ? Something seems somehow forced here.

Not that there would be anything wrong with someone in their 70s aiming for a chart hit, but it's moot as I highly doubt that was the intention anyway.

Always interesting how fans of the same artist react so differently. You hear this and think it's a cold, forced attempt at a chart hit. I find it warm, charming and not at all manufactured with intent.

I believe it extremely unlikely PG is thinking in terms of hit singles. I think he's doing what appeals to him, and this is one of the results.

Abandon all reason

• What I like about all the tracks at the moment is their overall lightness in the arrangements. While I do miss a little the beautiful textures present in many of his past tracks, this new approach brings a welcomed freshness.

• I agree that 'freshness' is a word that can be used to describe these songs that have come out so far. They echo various elements of his previous style; in ways reminiscent of songs like That'll Do, Down To Earth, and some of his material for movies over the last few years and from Up-but all with a new and fresh energy to them.

I really like Panopticom, IMO a classic that stands up to his previous hits. The Court (even though I don't really like it all that much) I can respect as a well put together song that has some interesting parts. Playing For Time is reminiscent of his past softer more moving songs like the piano version of Here Comes the Flood or Washing of the Water. As for i/o, although I feel the lyrics are a bit clunky, it's definitely a catchy tune-one that sticks in your mind afterwords-in a good way.

Overall, I like this material generally. I do feel that the mixes have a bit of a sterile, almost kind of cold sounding mix, with lots of treble-IMO the mixes could benefit from a warmer, richer sound with more balance from low to high.

Ultimately though I'm looking forward to what else comes out!

• The melody of the verses sounds, to my ears, very reminiscent of PG's version of The Book of Love. But that's a good thing imho.

• Official Post

The melody of the verses sounds, to my ears, very reminiscent of PG's version of The Book of Love. But that's a good thing imho.

That was also something that I thought spontaneously. I really like this i/o title track. I'm curious WHERE this will end up on the record. Maybe the last track?

• Love it. Lovely simple lyrics, sort of thing I imaging little kids singing in school, and that's the beauty of it I think. It's a shame that despite being on a 6 Music playlist it seems to have only been played once on the station at about 4:30 in the morning.

• I'm excited ! The dark side mix seems to sound so much more natural. There's a beautiful resonant drum sound. Not hyper radio compressed. Also many additional synth sounds. Looking forward to hear more than the preview tomorrow...

• Official Post

Here is the Dark-Side Mix

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Very nice! I actually like that version much better than the bright side-more characteristic of Peter's style IMO.

I'd say the contrast between dark vs. light for this song is the most different between versions of all the bright vs. dark side mixes so far.

• Heard it in Austria on the radio the other day, but I think it was the bright side mix. Anyway, nice he gets some airplay.

Still nothing "extra" on BANDCAMP yet (alternative version, demo or anything like that). I wonder why.

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

A quite unique version has been released via Full Moon club on Bandcamp. It contains a (ridiculous) guitar solo, a funky bridge and an extended ending with lots of stuff going on. Wonderful!

• A quite unique version has been released via Full Moon club on Bandcamp. It contains a (ridiculous) guitar solo, a funky bridge and an extended ending with lots of stuff going on. Wonderful!

I guess this does add validation to the idea that's been occasionally discussed, that PG may ultimately include different versions on his i/o album compared with the ones we've heard so far. This alternate mix proves that there are still additional mixes out there.