"Small" songs that made a big impression

• Ant has released a lot of songs that we'll probably never see as "Tracks of the Week." He's made a lot of solo albums, and a lot of those have large numbers of tracks on them, many of which are quite short.

I just wanted to comment on a few of those "small" songs that are buried in the middle of long track listings, but which have really stood out for me.

"Bubble and Squeak" (PP&P VII: Slow Waves, Soft Stars / Archive Collection II) - As I mentioned in another thread, this catchy 1-minute number was the only thing I really liked from PP&P VII when I listened to it for the first time. (For years afterwards, the availability of a basically identical version on ARCHIVE COLLECTION II was enough to convince me not to bother checking out PP&P VII again.)

"Siesta" (Archive Collection II) - For me this has a quality that's hard to describe -- oddly familiar and a bit haunting. It doesn't really sound like an Ant piece to me, but it seems to remind me of some long-forgotten, non-rock piece I might have heard as a kid.

"Tuscan Wedding" (PP&P XI: City of Dreams) - This is longer than the other ones but still just one of 31 short pieces on its disc. When I listened to the album for what must have been at least the 5th time, this one stopped me in my tracks and made my jaw drop. It doesn't make me a picture a wedding, and it's hard to say what it does make me picture; but I found it stunningly haunting and timeless.

Does anyone else have any "small" songs by Ant that have stood out for them?

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• I am not an expert when it comes to Ant's catalogue but I always thought "She'll be waiting" is a beautiful song. I re-discovered this after the Ant Band had also recorded it.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Could list lots of lovely Ant stuff but for a little song I’ve always liked Wind Tales at the start of The Geese and the Ghost. About a minute long but there’s a lot going on and it draws your attention as it sounds so different. Good opener for the album

• I love bonsai songs, unfortunately the only one I know from Ant is Ocho Pomelos Con Pimienta...Prestame Un Mango, Pibe! from The Meadows of Englewood. :S

• for a little song I’ve always liked Wind Tales at the start of The Geese and the Ghost.

You realize that "Wind Tales" is actually a snippet of "Sleepfall: The Geese Fly West" played backwards, right?

I love bonsai songs, unfortunately the only one I know from Ant is Ocho Pomelos Con Pimienta...Prestame Un Mango, Pibe! from The Meadows of Englewood. :S

I'd call that more of a fictitious song!

• Sometimes the smallest - or shortest - songs/pieces have the longest names: e. g. 'The burnt-out cattle truck hits the road' or 'Will the last man off te ice-rink (turn off the lights, please)' or even 'Ocho pomelos con pimienta - prestame un mango, pibe!' If I remember those titles correctly ...

• I guess I'll add "Walpurgis Night" from the "Scottish Suite II" on ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME II -- Ant's brief foray into musique concrète!