9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PHIL COLLINS - The West Side
    Year: 1982
    Album: Hello, I Must be Going!
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Collins
    Lyrics: No
    Length: 4:59
    Musicians: Phil Collins, Daryl Stuermer, Phenix Horns
    Played Live: 1982, 1985, 1990, 1996, 1998
    Cover versions: ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Collins lived out his preference for fusion and jazz from the mid-70s onwards with Brand X. Brand X, however, "wore out" in the early 80s, as Collins assessed it at the time. That didn't stop him from continuing to make music in that direction anyway. The West Side is a prime example of how Collins could always write the great pop song, but is first and foremost a terrific musician. The definitive version is the live version from 1990, recorded on the Serious Hits Live DVD......

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• It's a melodic piece, I like the overall sound, and have always considered it one of my favourite tracks on the album — even despite the fact Chuck Mangione comes to mind whenever I hear it.

• I like this one, it builds nicely and the vocalese at the end melds well with the instrumental. It's on my favorite PC solo album and I'm a fan of his general sound at this stage. It had a certain evocative quality that became less prominent beyond this and especially after NJR.

• One of his best tracks ever. That justifies 15/15 pts.

This is the Berlin version :love:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.