Conforums Archive

• OK folks, here it is!

First, you will have to download the zip file from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kqrc6264im79bv7/index6f3c.zip

Next, you will have to unpack it on your machine, I think most windows versions from 7 on will be able to do this without use of winzip.

Now, you need to find the file called simply “index.htm” - There are lists of files called indexsomething.htm, but you need the one I mentioned as this is the main page from which you can navigate to where you want. You can open the others, but you won't know what you will get until it opens!

Some points worth bearing in mind:

1/ You can't log in! There is no remote server to send you a cookie to say you are logged on. Thus you are viewing as a guest, and “private” boards, like Hand in Hand, It's Gonna Get Better (Which was a forum management board, and thus no longer valid anyway) and the Moderators board cannot be opened. You will get the “You are not authorised to view this board” message, simply hit “Back” to get out of it.

2/ I didn't save those boards anyway, as the software used wasn't logged in, so I'd have to have done it manually, I didn't have time.

3/ Embedded link to pictures, etc, may work, they may not, some will be out of date anyway, it is what it is, a “best we could do at short notice” backup of a huge forum.

I hope you find what you are looking for in the backup, if you don't, feel free to ask, I'll see what I can dig up, for there is more, but filesize was a consideration in what I have zipped.

Ian

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Hello!

Just signed again to say thank you for this. I look forward to reading it and re-living the memories of our discussions.

As I promised in that "goodbye" thread I made, I'll drop by this forum two or three times a year to say hello.

:)

- NSOV

• I downloaded the zip file and unpacked the contents. There are over 25k files and I was able to find the one entitled "index". I clicked on it and it took me to a webpage where the forum reappeared.

Two questions:

1. Can I now delete all of these files as it appears I can navigate from the web page with all of the contents available?

2. Can you search the forum for topics or is that feature no longer available?

thanks

Paul

• No you can't delete them, as they are what you are accessing, there is no webpage, you are accessing the files you have downloaded.

The search feature does not work, it was part of the original host software. You can use the search feature in Windows Explorer to find words within the files, that's as good as it gets, I'm afraid.

Ian

• Ok, it just seemed like a webpage but when I looked at the address bar it says "file:///C:/Users/pcont/Downloads/index-2.html". That obviously is accessing those files I've downloaded. I would like to put these in a separate folder though and it is taking forever to copy them over. Is that possible and do I have to do anything different?

Thanks Ian!

Paul

• If you've unzipped it in the downloads folder, I guess you have no option but to copy them over. Might be quicker to isolate the files that were already in the download folder and then copy everything over.

Ian

• Finally been taking time to browse a little deeper through this. Fine we got this :) However, in "The Forum of the last resort", when I go past page 1 I cannot open any threads, all it says is site not found. I guess it was too much to dig all the hundreds of threads in this forum?

• To be honest, it was all done in a hurry, as the site was closing soon. I didn't have time to check what was downloaded, and it was done with a tool, so I guess it might have lost connection at times, or maybe some other issue. As you say, it was a lot of threads!

Ian