Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

• ^

MR adds "and I know Tony's going to disagree with this" (about W&W) but in fact TB doesn't mention it at all.

Don't forget this was in 1997 and C&V was published 2002-ish? In the Q interview, after saying he isn't keen on Duke or SEBTP, he does say there are good tracks on both and was surprised how much he liked them on a recent re-listen to both. So yes, it looks like he did change his mind.

I'm sure in other interviews MR has said side 1 of Genesis is his favourite.

Abandon all reason

• People change their minds all the time. Steve Hackett, for example, once negatively criticised Wind And Wuthering for being full of "endless, swirling dynamics" and yet what album did he choose to highlight on tour last year?

• People change their minds all the time. Steve Hackett, for example, once negatively criticised Wind And Wuthering for being full of "endless, swirling dynamics" and yet what album did he choose to highlight on tour last year?

Surely he highlighted it because it was the 40th anniversary of it as well as the last album he played on.

• Surely he highlighted it because it was the 40th anniversary of it as well as the last album he played on.

Well, he's not in Genesis anymore so I don't know why he toured it. As far as I'm aware he hasn't toured Nursery Cryme (the first Genesis album upon which he played) or Selling England By The Pound (which he has often cited as his favourite Genesis album). I just find it curious that he would tour the album which was the result of so much rancour from him, given that he wasn't getting the "lion's share" of the writing credits that he felt he was somehow owed.

• Maybe he's decided he now likes it, but I think ultimately it was his latest way of extending the Genesis Revisited theme. I don't blame him, I'm sure he's done well out of it and why not. Maybe he will do a Nursery Cryme 50th tour in 2021.

Abandon all reason

• Maybe he's decided he now likes it, but I think ultimately it was his latest way of extending the Genesis Revisited theme. I don't blame him, I'm sure he's done well out of it and why not. Maybe he will do a Nursery Cryme 50th tour in 2021.

I thought it was a good idea as well - I liked that tour, the ones before it, the one following it, and I would continue seeing any Genesis-themed tours he chose to put on.

I think his bone of contention at the time is that he preferred a couple of tracks (Inside and Out, and a Genesis version of "Please Don't Touch") versus tracks that made it onto the album, like" Wot Gorilla". I wouldn't have minded if those songs had made the album instead; it's still my favorite album as it was originally released.

Also, I don't think he can properly be begrudged for doing all the tours either. The other three haven't toured with the Genesis catalogue since 2007, he liked the songs he played on, he felt like playing them live again, so he did so - what exactly is the problem? Every time I have seen him on these tours, the reception has been rapturous, virtually every show sells out, and the band and he are clearly having a great time every show. Why would he stop? I, for one, hope he doesn't - the eras of Genesis he played in are my very favorite of the band, and those songs haven't been played live en masse and in full since the late-70s (early 80s for certain tracks).

These tours filled a want and need that many Genesis fans had, i.e., live Genesis consisting of the songs from 1971-1977 with the added bonus of the actual guitarist from the band at the time. The Musical Box (and others) do a great version of keeping the Gabriel-era Genesis music alive (since the days of a potential full 5-man reunion are long past); there are many cover bands that I have seen, both in the US and the UK, who do a great job of doing career-spanning shows; I wish the other three could get together and play Genesis music again (maybe it will happen again - who knows?; if so, I'd be the first in line for tickets - I think there should be more tribute bands for the 3-man group's music as well); however, since the 4-man era is my personal favorite, I hope Steve goes as long as he chooses with these "Genesis Revisited" shows. I'll go every time. I know very many feel exactly the same way.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• On one hand I respect that SH is the only one who seems to want to keep the flame burning, for all the reasons you said. For me personally though, having seen 3 of these tours, that's me done. The W&W show last year put the lid on it for me, especially the crashing disappointment that was Inside & Out. And I really can't stand Nad Sylvan. But yes I understand the appeal of these shows and while I'd rather he returned to proper solo tours, I totally get that many love the Revisited tours.

Abandon all reason

• On one hand I respect that SH is the only one who seems to want to keep the flame burning, for all the reasons you said. For me personally though, having seen 3 of these tours, that's me done. The W&W show last year put the lid on it for me, especially the crashing disappointment that was Inside & Out. And I really can't stand Nad Sylvan. But yes I understand the appeal of these shows and while I'd rather he returned to proper solo tours, I totally get that many love the Revisited tours.

I do actually feel for those who are big fans of his solo albums and would like him to do more solo-centric tours. Those fans of Hackett's solo work are being under-satisfied on his recent tours (although on his last two, he has played more of a mixed show - solo and Genesis). I also agree that Nad's vocals are better suited for the Gabriel-era material; my love of the 4-man era songs' music gets me by on the vocals.

I'm sorry that "Inside and Out" was bad for you; it was great at the shows I saw. Was it a duff performance that night or did the vocals just grate your ears too much?

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I do actually feel for those who are big fans of his solo albums and would like him to do more solo-centric tours. Those fans of Hackett's solo work are being under-satisfied on his recent tours (although on his last two, he has played more of a mixed show - solo and Genesis). I also agree that Nad's vocals are better suited for the Gabriel-era material; my love of the 4-man era songs' music gets me by on the vocals.

I'm sorry that "Inside and Out" was bad for you; it was great at the shows I saw. Was it a duff performance that night or did the vocals just grate your ears too much?

That's a good question and prompts me to qualify my previous post a bit more.

In a way, it was silly of me to have gone to that gig, maybe even unfair, as W&W is down there among my absolute least favourite Genesis albums. So it was a bit daft to go to a gig that I knew would be showcasing that album, and with vocals from someone I already knew I didn't like. With NS, for me it's not so much a case of his style better suiting the PG-era, it's in fact everything about him. He's an okay singer, nothing special, but somehow manages to combine being a bit creepy with having absolutely no presence or charisma (all puns intended) of any kind. When he slowly pads on stage in that way of his, I find it's like a vacuum sucking in most of the energy around him.

So, why did I bother going? It was partly the thing we talked about above - despite my misgivings, I was still drawn by the fact it's someone from Genesis, doing Genesis material, and with the band no longer performing that's all we have to cling on to. That feeling had sustained me through two previous Revisited gigs. But in a way it was useful to go to this one as it made me realise that (for me, anyway) those feelings are a red herring and i should just leave it now. The songs are being sung by an at-best average vocalist, and played by perfectly good musicians who nevertheless can't play them in the same way and I find it leaves the songs wanting. Roger King is a perfectly competent keyboardist but what this gig really brought home to me more than any previous ones is that there is something about the way Banks plays those trademark big chords that no-one else seems able to do. I don't know what it is, but what I did know was that they are a major part of my enjoyment of the music and it just wasn't there.

Another low point was having to again sit through the seemingly interminable Hierophant and Gary O'Toole's tedious drum freak-out. Even in a solo-only show, it would be an inhibiting factor if I knew they were still doing that one.

As for Inside & Out, it was another big attraction for me that they were doing that one, so allowing myself to have got quite psyched up about it didn't help. But to be fair, I should point out I loved the first half of it. I thought it was beautifully and delicately performed, and a joy to hear. Which made it all the worse that the second half, always one of my absolute favourite pieces of Genesis (or any band's) music, was so disappointing. It had no impact, it was as though the rug had somehow been pulled from under it, and the ridiculous inclusion of a tootling flute killed it stone dead. The original has both shimmering sparkling instrumentation but also oomph, power and gravitas, a brilliant and unique combination, but the live one felt to me like its backbone had been removed.

I saw it at the London Palladium, but whether it was just a duff show I doubt, I'm sure the arrangement was the same for the tour so it's unlikely seeing it at a different performance would've made any difference. But as I say, it served its purpose and made me realise that if i go to a Hackett gig again it can only be a solo-only one... that preferably doesn't feature Hierophant!

Abandon all reason

• I know we're getting off topic now, but... GENESIS REVISITED II is the only Hackett studio album I don't have. I listened to it once and never wanted to hear it again. I was especially bothered by the versions of certain 4-man era songs. It's not so much that I thought the singers were bad; it's just that the magic Phil brought to those songs just can't be replaced. There are reasons that my top 2 Genesis albums (getting back on topic) are Trick & Wind.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• It's not so much that I thought the singers were bad; it's just that the magic Phil brought to those songs just can't be replaced.

I personally feel that the choice of the singer is crucial in this kind of projects and you are right, Phil's shoes are hard to fill and in most of the cases no other singer will do. With that in mind, I strongly believe Steve could have done better than Nad. There are loads of unknown kids out there, with amazing voices, who would die to have the chance to sing those songs on a stage with Steve. Nad's voice is really anonymous and that is strictly my opinion, what is however a fact is that his singing is rather pitchy, his voice too weak for most of the songs and he fails to hit the notes on more than one occasion. Phil would be missed anyway, we all have his versions in mind but Nad is simply too much to take for me.

• Sorry to hear you guys don't like Nad Sylvan's persona or vocal style. I've grown to appreciate the man and his many talents. Have any of you heard his Unifaun album where he and one other artist, Bonamici, play every instrument? It's a tribute to all eras of Genesis via Nad's own compositions. Fabulous stuff. He was recruited by Roine Stolt of Flower Kings fame to be the vocalist in Agents Of Mercy. They released a few good albums. Nad's two solo albums are very good as well. I met Nad at an Agents Of Mercy gig. He was staying at the same hotel my wife and I were staying at. We talked over breakfast the day after the gig. The man is very timid, but very intelligent as well. He loves Genesis' music as much as we do, even more since he has dedicated a big chunk of his life to re-creating it with none other than Steve Hackett himself. I don't believe Steve would have chosen Nad out of who knows how many potential Gabriel/Collins sound-alikes to go on tour with him if he didn't think he was up to the task. Even Collins and Gabriel found it difficult to sing live without straining their voices each night. Regarding the Wind And Wuthering album - I'm not sure of you guys' ages, but for those of us who bought the album when it first came out, it was a special time in our lives and a special album. Anyway, that's my bit of a rant. Carry on...;):thumbup:

• Sorry to hear you guys don't like Nad Sylvan's persona or vocal style. I've grown to appreciate the man and his many talents. Have any of you heard his Unifaun album where he and one other artist, Bonamici, play every instrument? It's a tribute to all eras of Genesis via Nad's own compositions. Fabulous stuff. He was recruited by Roine Stolt of Flower Kings fame to be the vocalist in Agents Of Mercy. They released a few good albums. Nad's two solo albums are very good as well. I met Nad at an Agents Of Mercy gig. He was staying at the same hotel my wife and I were staying at. We talked over breakfast the day after the gig. The man is very timid, but very intelligent as well. He loves Genesis' music as much as we do, even more since he has dedicated a big chunk of his life to re-creating it with none other than Steve Hackett himself. I don't believe Steve would have chosen Nad out of who knows how many potential Gabriel/Collins sound-alikes to go on tour with him if he didn't think he was up to the task. Even Collins and Gabriel found it difficult to sing live without straining their voices each night. Regarding the Wind And Wuthering album - I'm not sure of you guys' ages, but for those of us who bought the album when it first came out, it was a special time in our lives and a special album. Anyway, that's my bit of a rant. Carry on...;):thumbup:

To be clear: I personally don't care about the persona, I realize that I am in the minority but I really don't care much for instance about showmanship. As an artist you can wear whatever you want, have back-up dancers or less, an amazing lightshow but I truly only focus on the music. I don't know Nad's work and I am sure he is talented and delivers his songs extremely well. I find Genesis' songs simply too big for him.