Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

• Im a massive fan of genesis old and new, so theres no pairing of any of them.

Selling is musicially my favourite, i think in a prog sense the pinnacle of what they ever did

Invisible touch is the most uplifting. It really is my go to album when i just want to enjoy good songs (for me the best album of the 80s)

Duke. Its just brilliant isnt it. Kind of mix of those two styles.

• Trick, Selling and Foxtrot

My definition of a great album is the lack of weak tracks, or fillers, and the above fill that criteria.

As an old Prog Rocker, I obviously veer towards the older stuff, but I did not stop listening after PG left. I think anyone who did missed out on two or three terrific albums just after that, of course being TOTT, W&W and ATTWT. I can’t honestly say that any album after that did not come into the equation for me as a choice for the top three. There is obviously some good stuff in them, notably Dodo/Lurker, Home by the Sea, Domino, and a few others, but there are too many tracks that could be from a PC solo album, IMO.
    The period from Trespass to ATTWT is far and away the highlight of Genesis for me.

• Official Post

@ all new members

You may want to participate in this poll ;)

• @ all new members

You may want to participate in this poll ;)

Christian, though the responders to your poll are certainly not "representative" show goers necessarily, it's nonetheless interesting to see how disconnected preferences (the top 4 albums are '70s stuff) are to the actual current setlist. Maybe we can send your poll results to Phil, Mike and Tony lol (yes, that's a joke). Thanks for doing this.

• Official Post

Christian, though the responders to your poll are certainly not "representative" show goers necessarily, it's nonetheless interesting to see how disconnected preferences (the top 4 albums are '70s stuff) are to the actual current setlist. Maybe we can send your poll results to Phil, Mike and Tony lol (yes, that's a joke). Thanks for doing this.

the poll in our German forum is a bit different:

• Christian, though the responders to your poll are certainly not "representative" show goers necessarily, it's nonetheless interesting to see how disconnected preferences (the top 4 albums are '70s stuff) are to the actual current setlist. Maybe we can send your poll results to Phil, Mike and Tony lol (yes, that's a joke). Thanks for doing this.

I mean, there's a reasonable amount of stuff there. And 'favourite' doesn't really capture a range value. Some people love all the albums almost equally and others only like certain ones. I think a ranked choice vote would probably be the best way to see, but you can't do that on this forum software.

More generally, I was hoping to see more love for the Self-Titled album, as it was one of my picks (along with Trick and Duke).

--------------------------------------

'When you wake in the morning

Wake and find you're covered in cellophane

Well, there's a hole in there somewhere'

• I mean, there's a reasonable amount of stuff there. And 'favourite' doesn't really capture a range value. Some people love all the albums almost equally and others only like certain ones. I think a ranked choice vote would probably be the best way to see, but you can't do that on this forum software.

More generally, I was hoping to see more love for the Self-Titled album, as it was one of my picks (along with Trick and Duke).

I suspect that rank ordering would reveal roughly the same top 3. It's just interesting to me to see the "era divide" pop up yet again. This isn't meant as bait for arguing. If you like Invisible Touch, go for it. In my mind, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance if you equally enjoy Foxtrot and Invisible Touch, for example. But hey, that could be my problem lol. Peace.

• I suspect that rank ordering would reveal roughly the same top 3. It's just interesting to me to see the "era divide" pop up yet again. This isn't meant as bait for arguing. If you like Invisible Touch, go for it. In my mind, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance if you equally enjoy Foxtrot and Invisible Touch, for example. But hey, that could be my problem lol. Peace.

I think most of the people going to the upcoming gigs are not necessarily the same who have voted for Trick, Lamb and SEBTP, incidentally my favorites no matter the order. I'm just guessing but judging by the comments, some of the fans interested in the gigs are generally younger, got on board with the latest albums and perhaps never had the chance to see the band live. I´m generalizing of course but I'd submit the majority of earlier fans are not that interested and as such I think the choice of material is about right.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I think most of the people going to the upcoming gigs are not necessarily the same who have voted for Trick, Lamb and SEBTP, incidentally my favorites no matter the order. I'm just guessing but judging by the comments, some of the fans interested in the gigs are generally younger, got on board with the latest albums and perhaps never had the chance to see the band live. I´m generalizing of course but I'd submit the majority of earlier fans are not that interested and as such I think the choice of material is about right.

You may very well be right Fabrizio. But as a 45+ year fan, I am/was hoping for 1-2 surprises as this is definitely the last hurrah for them. And I would venture to say that there's still a sizable portion of older fans in attendance. My guess is that the current setlist was entirely based on what Phil could handle vocally (even transposed). I can hardly imagine him singing ATOTT or Gabriel-era material, for example.

• You may very well be right Fabrizio. But as a 45+ year fan, I am/was hoping for 1-2 surprises as this is definitely the last hurrah for them. And I would venture to say that there's still a sizable portion of older fans in attendance. My guess is that the current setlist was entirely based on what Phil could handle vocally (even transposed). I can hardly imagine him singing ATOTT or Gabriel-era material, for example.

Yes, I made it a point to specify I was generalizing, I'm sure some older fans would like a last dance, I believe however, it's predominantly newer fans. I don't know whether Phil current vocal limitations were a factor in deciding the setlist. Older material is sometimes not necessarily more demanding vocally than stuff like Mama and from what I heard, keys have been dropped generously, the same could have been done for older songs. Who knows, perhaps there was no appetite within the band for older stuff and ultimately it's not only about what Phil can but also what he wants to sing.

• I get that ranked choice may not change the top three, but I do think it would help to place the rest. I think some of the lower ranked ones may find themselves climbing a bit higher. There are albums that everyone likes, but few would choose as a favourite, and they get their due when ranked choice is used.

In the end, it's all opinions :)

'When you wake in the morning

Wake and find you're covered in cellophane

Well, there's a hole in there somewhere'

• In my mind, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance if you equally enjoy Foxtrot and Invisible Touch, for example. But hey, that could be my problem lol. Peace.

As someone who enjoys those albums roughly equally (neither would be in my top tier of favorite Genesis albums), I am genuinely curious why you think this. I enjoy Watcher and Can Utility about as much as Tonight Tonight Tonight and the Brazilian. Not too gone on IT title track or In Too Deep, and I find Time Table is a bit shallow and twee.

Big part of the reason I love Genesis - the depth across their catalogue. And yes, very much peace.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's about 'new' fans or 'old'. I would expect new fans to be totally agnostic about the material era. They'll have decided by themselves if they prefer the old music, or the really old music, or the ancient music. I'll say no more as we're not in the spoilers thread.

• As someone who enjoys those albums roughly equally (neither would be in my top tier of favorite Genesis albums), I am genuinely curious why you think this. I enjoy Watcher and Can Utility about as much as Tonight Tonight Tonight and the Brazilian. Not too gone on IT title track or In Too Deep, and I find Time Table is a bit shallow and twee.

Big part of the reason I love Genesis - the depth across their catalogue. And yes, very much peace.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's about 'new' fans or 'old'. I would expect new fans to be totally agnostic about the material era. They'll have decided by themselves if they prefer the old music, or the really old music, or the ancient music. I'll say no more as we're not in the spoilers thread.

Hi Watcher. To put is simply and bluntly, those are 2 different bands to me. Having said that, there are songs here and there that I like in their '80s material but it tends to be 1-2 songs per record as opposed to entire '70s albums. There's just no comparison to me. When I listen to IT, I hear a soundtrack to Miami Vice; that cheesy synth pop/electronic drum stuff that was all over the airwaves at that time. We can be diametrically opposed in our viewpoints, that's fine, but I did want to candidly answer your question.

• Hi Watcher. To put is simply and bluntly, those are 2 different bands to me. Having said that, there are songs here and there that I like in their '80s material but it tends to be 1-2 songs per record as opposed to entire '70s albums. There's just no comparison to me. When I listen to IT, I hear a soundtrack to Miami Vice; that cheesy synth pop/electronic drum stuff that was all over the airwaves at that time. We can be diametrically opposed in our viewpoints, that's fine, but I did want to candidly answer your question.

It's far from unknown for fans to strongly prefer 70s over 80s/90s or vice versa, I've rarely known other bands or artists inspire such division of preference.

But it is the same band - not the same line-up of course but certainly the same trio that played a huge part in creating pieces such as Apocalypse and Cinema Show. When I listen to the 80s stuff I hear the same band with the same talent, skill and creativity but applying it in different ways. Ways that some fans don't like, which is fair enough. To suggest there may be some cognitive dissonance is a little extreme but if there is some, I'd say it's travelling in the opposite direction that you seem to be suggesting.

I do share your dislike of the shiny clattery 80s sound that found its way on to IT.

Abandon all reason

• It's far from unknown for fans to strongly prefer 70s over 80s/90s or vice versa, I've rarely known other bands or artists inspire such division of preference.

But it is the same band - not the same line-up of course but certainly the same trio that played a huge part in creating pieces such as Apocalypse and Cinema Show. When I listen to the 80s stuff I hear the same band with the same talent, skill and creativity but applying it in different ways. Ways that some fans don't like, which is fair enough. To suggest there may be some cognitive dissonance is a little extreme but if there is some, I'd say it's travelling in the opposite direction that you seem to be suggesting.

I do share your dislike of the shiny clattery 80s sound that found its way on to IT.

Yup, I do agree with the two-way nature of any potential cognitive dissonance, i.e., '80s/'90s fan not at all getting the '70s stuff. When I express these opinions, I try to be considerate (and not demeaning) of any viewpoint that might be diametrically opposed to mine. And yes, the core trio did write things like 9/8, Cinema Show, etc. I don't begrudge them for changing; many prog bands (ELP, Gentle Giant) died a quick death in the early '80s. Gabriel changed drastically too but it still feels quite innovative. Anyway, some random quick thoughts....

• Hi Watcher. To put is simply and bluntly, those are 2 different bands to me. Having said that, there are songs here and there that I like in their '80s material but it tends to be 1-2 songs per record as opposed to entire '70s albums. There's just no comparison to me. When I listen to IT, I hear a soundtrack to Miami Vice; that cheesy synth pop/electronic drum stuff that was all over the airwaves at that time. We can be diametrically opposed in our viewpoints, that's fine, but I did want to candidly answer your question.

Yes, I understand your preferences. I was asking about your cognitive dissonance comment in relation to someone else's preferences. It stood out simply because I happen to rate Foxtrot and IT pretty closely. I like them about the same - yet I feel no hint of internal struggle about that. I guess I'm contesting your point that a person can't genuinely like both without invoking some inconsistency in that person's tastes.

To stick with the topic, I rank Foxtrot below NC and the Lamb from the PG era, and I personally enjoy Trespass more too. That puts it down in 4th place among the Gabriel era albums for me, though SEBTP could be above it some days. I rank IT below Trick, Abacab and Duke certainly. That would put it 4th in the PC albums. Though wind, self-titled and WCD could each be above it on certain days. Now, do I put the PC albums that are above IT (Trick/Abacab/Duke) above Foxtrot? Definitely. 100%. Any time. That leaves Foxtrot and IT bobbing about together roughly somewhere in the middle, 7th to 10th or so, below Trespass/NC/lamb/trick/Abacab/Duke. Oh and they're also below CAS. I love that album.

I'm not trying to diss Foxtrot or IT, I like both albums very much. Long TTT is probably a top 10 Genesis song for me. I just prefer the other albums listed which kind of makes these two albums default down to comparable positions on my preference list.

• Selling England By The Pound

A Trick Of The Tail

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

An unashamed child of the seventies, I just can’t warm to the ‘poppier’ material and confess to losing interest after the ‘Genesis’ album. I enjoyed Phil’s early solo material but my musical tastes went in a different direction in the mid-eighties.