Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

epoch-making

Trespass was like that, coming from FGTR.

And I don't want to be provocative towards some people here, but this is also what Abacab, for exemple, was meant to be...

And it was. A drastic change, that anyone is free to appreciate or not. Appreciation may change too, over time.

I didn't like it at all, at first. Now, I understand it.

People evolve. Music evolves. Miles Davis in the 50's was not the same as Miles Davis in the 70's. The same for Mozart, Debussy, and literally every great musician.

It is just a matter of taste, nothing more. If you like Who Dunnit more than Supper's Ready, it's fine, even better, it's interesting, and we can have a conversation, find what we have in common, etc...

• Well, it shouldn't be, but since you insist (3 last messages), it's you who is putting pressure on...

And why not ? If people can't stand such mild heat, they probably should join a cult and leave this discussion forum.

Backdrifter and thewatcher, you need to watch your blood pressure... and your integrity - because the (very) personal attacks all come from YOU.

Finally, yes, I do love the prog albums to bits. They've been part of my life for almost fifty years, after all. And they do tower miles above the rest of the production, standing at the top of the prog mountain, so to speak, with a few other masterpieces (Crimson's Red, Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory, Camel's Moonmadness, etc.) - a thing only an indiscriminating fan will not see ;)

• mild heat

You are the most abusive poster on the forum by a distance.

discussion

In which you have absolutely no interest. All you want is this. Which I am indulging you in. And will stop now.

the (very) personal attacks all come from YOU.

😂

Count to 10 dude. Deeeeeeep breaths. Maybe cast a critical eye over your bilious contributions to this thread.

<Collini out>

(A Californication reference)

• Lamb

Duke

Foxtrot

In 1980 i heard Turn it on again on the radio over n over and thought “I like the sound of this Genesis, ill buy this Duke and see what i think”. So begun my life long love of, imo, one of the best Bands on Earth.
    I played Duke to death on my turntable and headed back to my record shop to see what else they had - unfortunately there was only 2 choices : Seconds Out & And then there were Three. Id heard Follow me Follow You and liked that plus the fact Seconds was quite pricey for a 16yr old on £23 a week - so Three it was. Id be lying if i said i didnt love Three, it takes a few listens but you get sucked into these stories.
    I then headed to my library where music tapes were available to hire - amongst the varied collection was Lamb , I didn’t hesitate to take it home and i have to say i was disappointed, apart from Carpet Crawlers everything else seemed just a mess ( hard to believe now).

Anyway for the next few years i would acquire the next studio albums and they were all ok but it wouldn’t be till ‘92 when a work colleague and huge Genesis fan lent me Seconds Out on tape. It was a huge revelation to hear all this Pre-Duke material that i had never heard before and the masterpiece that was “Suppers Ready”.

So needless to say i went back and bought all the earlier material and reignited my love of Genesis like never before.

Ive only seen them 3 times Live. ‘98 Calling all Stations tour, Old Trafford’07 and Glasgow 7-10-21.

Its incredible to think of the journey ive had with the band. Rediscovering The Lamb album and finally realising that its their Masterwork ( to me anyway)

Be good to hear other people’s discovery of the band and the journey they have had with them…

• Be good to hear other people’s discovery of the band and the journey they have had with them…

There's probably a thread and I'm sure I've shared mine before. But here are the cliff notes...

I remember going on a family holiday to France by car when I was 7 or so. My parents had Invisible Touch on cassette playing in the car and it would automatically flip to the opposite reel (if that's the right terminology) so it played over and over whole we drove. I vividly remember The Brazilian and second Domino.

Skip forward a few years and WCD came out and was huge. No Son of Mine, I Can't Dance on MTV etc. I bought WCD on cassette and was obsessed. The darkness of NSoM and Dreaming While You Sleep, the epic Driving the Last Spike with it's fiery galloping crescendo. Through the Shorts and Longs I discovered some of their older material. Dance on a Volcano from the old medley seemed incendiary and I love Home By the Sea.

From there I bought cassettes from the local music shop of whatever they had. An early memory is buying Live and thinking 'that cover looks funny' and then being somewhat blown by the music. The end of Hogweed, the Knife...

I got into vinyl then and remember getting Duke and loving it. And at some stage, a vinyl bootleg Live from the Monsters Mouth (I think the 1978 tour) that was awesome.

CAS was my first album as a fully fledged obsessive fan and I loved it too, saw them in concert. Hence it being one of my favorite albums.

They are a great, great band. I discriminate between my very favorite albums and ones I like less. But there are probably 6 albums in the former group! Honestly if you jumbled their albums in a hat and I picked out 3, I'd show you 3 of my all time favorite albums (except FGTR).

• I’ve been a fan of the Hackett era for years and years. I ‘like’ pop Era Genesis when I’m in the mood for easy listening. I got the Duke album on CD recently. I was blown away by how bad it was. It just didn’t do a thing for me!!! I’ll now suck and prepare to get egged…😂😂😜😜

• I’ve been a fan of the Hackett era for years and years. I ‘like’ pop Era Genesis when I’m in the mood for easy listening. I got the Duke album on CD recently. I was blown away by how bad it was. It just didn’t do a thing for me!!! I’ll now suck and prepare to get egged…😂😂😜😜

I'm confident if somebody told Steve there was a Hackett era in Genesis he'd be flabbergasted. No egging here anyway, sorry you didn't appreciate it, it is IMO to this day, the best thing the trio ever produced.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I'm confident if somebody told Steve there was a Hackett era in Genesis he'd be flabbergasted. No egging here anyway, sorry you didn't appreciate it, it is IMO to this day, the best thing the trio ever produced.

There's a Nik Kershaw song: "Loud, confident and Wrong! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I'm confident if somebody told Steve there was a Hackett era in Genesis he'd be flabbergasted. No egging here anyway, sorry you didn't appreciate it, it is IMO to this day, the best thing the trio ever produced.

There was a Hackett era.

Nursery Cryme

Foxtrot

Selling England

Lamb

Trick

Wind & W

• There's a whole thread on this "Hackett era" notion/hypothesis/thing.

I just read through it. When I said, “Hackett era,” I was simply referring to the tenure/time period where Hackett was the guitarist. I meant nothing deep and heady, just as a time period. The reason I say I like the Hackett Era is because I don’t much care for Genesis prior to Nursery Cryme and I’m tempted to call it the Gabriel era, but I adore W&W and Trick/Tail, which lacked Peter but had Steve still.

• can you really compare different albums from different era's?...there is no way you can compare IT with NC, but it shows how the band evolved and also how fans have different tastes.

I spent most of my younger years immersed in the PG albums, but my go to albums now are probably Duke and Abacab...tastes change!

I also probably listen to Trepass a lot more than ever used too and the Lamb doesn't get much airtime at all!...don't think there's a right or wrong, just enjoy what works for you🙂

• Trick

Lamb

Selling England

As a 14 year old school boy back in 1977 I was looking for a band that I could like. My friends were into such band as The Who , Led Zep, Rush etc. I didn’t want to buy their records and be accused of following the pack , so I bought Seconds Out after it had been reviewed on the Magpie TV programme.
    I bought the album without knowing anything about the band or their songs. But after hearing the likes of Squonk and Suppers Ready I was hooked.
    I saw them live for the first time on the Duke tour in 1980. I paid £16 for a £3 ticket from a tout but it was the best £16 I have ever spent. It was a magical night.
    And after seeing them twice in 2021 they still don’t disappoint.

• I bought Seconds Out after it had been reviewed on the Magpie TV programme.

I saw them live for the first time on the Duke tour in 1980. I paid £16 for a £3 ticket from a tout but it was the best £16 I have ever spent. It was a magical night.

SO was reviewed on Magpie?! Blimey.

The Duke tour was my live initiation too. Which show(s) did you see?

I make that the equivalent of around £70 for a £13 ticket. Imagine a high-profile band playing a small theatre and charging £13! You'd actually expect to be paying the £70 anyway, face value.

Abandon all reason

• It was the Manchester Apollo, April 1980. The ticket was £3 face value, I paid £16 . It was all the money I had 🤣. Worth every penny.
    The second encore they did was the knife.

Hammersmith and the now-legendary London Lyceum 7 May for me, £2.50 and £3.

Yes they did that truncated Knife at the Lyceum but not at the first two Hammersmiths. I queued overnight for my Lyceum ticket.

Abandon all reason

• many people (including myself) name 'a trick of the tail' among their favourite genesis albums. however, the singles from this album -the title track and entangled- charted very poorly, if at all. it's a pity, because 'a trick of the tail' includes a few songs that could have worked well as singles, the same way that i know what i like did.

Edited once, last by chema ().