Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

• I'm happy with No Reply [...] of course the horns cause a certain amount of automatic door-slamming from some fans regardless of what else is going on in the song.

I remember well how I felt when listening to it for the first time. I had found the LP in a vinyl record store. Until then, speaking of studio recordings, I only knew the 1970-1980 period... And Face Value.

It was a bit of a shock. First, I already knew the live version of Abacab because my Mum had Three Sides Lives, and I was kind of disappointed by the early fade-out of the song in the album, compared to the "rocking out" final of the live version...

And then, this. "Horns !? WTF ? What are they doing ? Mhh, not their best..."

Of course, I hadn't listened to the second side...

When "Who Dunnit" came, I was like "No.. No No No... NOOOO !" :D

It took me a few years to accept it...

Now I'm fine with it, haha !

• When "Who Dunnit" came, I was like "No.. No No No... NOOOO !"

A friend heard the album before I did and was incredulous about some of it, particularly the "meanwhile lurking...." bit followed by the chirpy synth line, and Who Dunnit though he wasn't especially peeved by NRAA. I picked up on a general disbelief and dismay about WD among fans but from the start I never much minded it. I get people's dislike of it but it's never bothered me.

Rutherford's bass playing is superb on NR, also on You Might Recall. Overall it's a well put-together song with an especially nice middle eight. I've always really liked it. Yes it's got the horns on but as a song it's 100% Genesis.

Abandon all reason

• Rutherford's bass playing is superb on NR, also on You Might Recall.

Yes it is, that's why I tend to like it over the years. Collins' groove is great too, and surprisingly, Chester never seemed to capture it on the live versions.

If you take a song like Duchess, Phil's and Chester's grooves are quite different, but Chester adds his own thing that I really like (Duchess live is probably in my top 5 Genesis song list).

• Yes it is, that's why I tend to like it over the years. Collins' groove is great too, and surprisingly, Chester never seemed to capture it on the live versions.

If you take a song like Duchess, Phil's and Chester's grooves are quite different, but Chester adds his own thing that I really like (Duchess live is probably in my top 5 Genesis song list).

I thought NR live didn't cut it in any way at all. You're right about the drumming on the original, deceptively tricksy but laying down a terrific groove.

I know some fans prefer live Duchess but for me it simply can't measure up to the original. They achieved such a distinctive almost other-worldly feel that never occurred anywhere else in their work and also a rich layering and overall soundscape that can only ever be a studio creation. In that sense their live renditions did the best they could with it. The intro section was wonderful on the recent tour but it was a slight come-down that the lovely gradual conclusion of the original, like layers smoothly unpeeling, was replaced by a big old traditional live rock ending. But never mind, I was just so pleased they brought it out for this final tour.

While CT is obviously a terrific drummer I often thought his very different, more open sort of groove didn't suit the songs. An example is Dodo in which I much prefer the more taut, stark feel of the drumming in the original. But don't get me wrong, he was generally a great addition to their live sound and the duets were great to see.

Abandon all reason