Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

• Foxtrot, Selling England, Abacab.

The first two are what got me into Genesis, I absolutely adore the pastoral British sound mixed with some hard rocking and surrealism. But after recently giving Genesis's 80's output a listen, I became enthralled with Abacab and how it threw away with the "rules" of Genesis songs, the group even admitting such.

The theme of abstraction is perfectly conveyed through the nonsensical lyrics and jamming nature of some tracks. This aspect of it gives the album a timeless nature, with each new listen granting a new perspective.

Another one who likes Abacab :)

Welcome to out forum!

cheers

Christian

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Deutsch? Check our German Website

----------------------------------------------------------------------

• It would be interesting to compare the ages of members with their choices. I can't bear Abacab (it was the first album I didn't buy). I am 62 and see Abacab as their moment as when Fish left Marillion. I was fine with Peter leaving, Steve hurt more, and then with Abacab they completely changed direction.

• It would be interesting to compare the ages of members with their choices. I can't bear Abacab (it was the first album I didn't buy). I am 62 and see Abacab as their moment as when Fish left Marillion. I was fine with Peter leaving, Steve hurt more, and then with Abacab they completely changed direction.

I'm 57 and love Abacab, placing it second to The Lamb as my favourite. Selling, Duke and NC will be interchangeably 3rd.

Abacab was certainly different in many ways but I disagree it was a complete change of direction. Given the more direct, generally shorter material of the previous 2 albums it was for me more or less the same direction but accelerated.

The trio, often already at the core of PG-era stuff, now had more space musically, their own studio, and seriously hit their stride on stage where they were reaching their peak and also made a huge visual innovation. While the varilites came after the album, they nevertheless had an adrenaline surge and I feel it was very evident in the energy of Abacab.

Abandon all reason

I'm 41 and Abacab is among my favorite 6, which share equal status for me (trespass, NC, trick, duke and cas are the other 5). If I had to rank them, Abacab would come second or third after trick and possibly cas.

• I'm 54 and while Abacab is not one of my top 3 albums, I have a very healthy respect for it. All of my favourite artists branched into new territory with each album. Abacab is a great example of this, sounding quite different than Duke and being light years away from Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering just a few years before. I'm not sure I would have cared much if Abacab had simply been Wind and Wuthering version 4.0.

• I'm 61 and my favourite by far is Selling England By The Pound. This album was my first album I listened to while I was sick in bed and borrowed from my brother that introduced me to Prog music back in the early 70s. I was already a big fan of Supertramp before then and now considered a prog type genre.