PETER GABRIEL - Four Kinds Of Horses - Track discussion

• A wonderful track - my favorite so far. And I agree, it could be played towards the end of the standard set.

I watched the deep dive video yesterday and was quite stunned - he certainly developed several interesting ideas until he found the final one and Brian Eno has once more created challenging sounds we may be able to hear in greater detail once the ATMOS mix is out.

Can't wait!

• I hope not. It'd be better if he didn't reprise the Flood opening, and as good as it is Horses wouldn't be the right opener or suitable as 2nd track.

Have to wait and see I suppose. It's funny I think that a lot of the older big openers I've seen have been very dramatic, Darkness, Intruder, On The Air, Rhythm Of The Heat. They don't sound as powerful to me, if played mid-set. I like HCTF as a pre-opener, sort of anti rock star approach to a gig, just him, piano and audience. Then it really kicks off, I like the contrast.

• Have to wait and see I suppose. It's funny I think that a lot of the older big openers I've seen have been very dramatic, Darkness, Intruder, On The Air, Rhythm Of The Heat. They don't sound as powerful to me, if played mid-set. I like HCTF as a pre-opener, sort of anti rock star approach to a gig, just him, piano and audience. Then it really kicks off, I like the contrast.

On a tangent, I'm just curious - how did you have my comment as a quote from zaar?

The Flood "pre-opener" as you put it did work well, but it'd be better for him to not repeat that - too much of a throwback. (For similar reasons I was mildly disappointed Genesis reprised the 07 tour opening last year). 20 years on, new tour new album, a different kind of curtain-raiser is needed.

Abandon all reason

• On a tangent, I'm just curious - how did you have my comment as a quote from zaar?

The Flood "pre-opener" as you put it did work well, but it'd be better for him to not repeat that - too much of a throwback. (For similar reasons I was mildly disappointed Genesis reprised the 07 tour opening last year). 20 years on, new tour new album, a different kind of curtain-raiser is needed.

Intruder would be good as an opener.

• Il a souvent commencé ses tournées par un morceau du dernier album en date

Tour 82 - The rhythm of the heat

secret world live - come talk to me

Growing up tour - Darkness (si on enlève l'ouverture par HCTF)

Pourquoi pas Panopticom?

• Intruder would be good as an opener.

I'd go with a surging opener like Panopticom, Growing Up or really slamming it to us right from the start with The Tower, then into Intruder as a starkly contrasting 2nd number. How about that for a double-salvo start? Eh? EH?

Abandon all reason

• Blimey, I'd forgotten all about Come Talk To Me, its a cracking opener, which I was lucky enough to see twice. The place went mental when he came out of the telephone box! Again, saw him do it as an encore on the Growing Up tours but didnt have the same impact, but still good!

I'm still sticking my neck out and going for Four Kinds Of Horses to kick of with, unless there is something for I/O thats not been released yet that he starts with? I'll know in 5 more sleeps!

• Four Kinds of Horses (Dark-Side Mix):

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

I prefer this mix! It's rougher, sounds better