2011 Italian "Definitive Editions" help

• Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get a definitive answer on this, but it seems hard to come by on Google, so I thought someone on here would give me the answer in 10 seconds ha ha!!! ^^

I recently got the Japanese 2009 CD of "The Way We Walk" remixed by Nick Davis. Personally, I LOVE Nick's mixes, to me they always sound full and powerful.

I thought I'd try to get the 2009 "Seconds Out" next, but a bit cheaper price than the Japanese set goes for!

Here's my question after that bit of background:

After a bit of digging at discogs, I've seen there's an Italian "Definitive Edition" boxset or individual releases from 2011:

https://www.discogs.com/label/…The-Definitive-Collection

Can someone just clarify, is the "Seconds Out" from this series Nick Davis' 2009 mix?

https://www.discogs.com/release/4520713-Genesis-Seconds-Out

I think it is, as it says on discogs "mastered by Tony Cousins" (like the '09 Walk CD), but it doesn't mention if Nick mixed it. So I thought I'd better double check before I spend some money!

Thank you for any assistance :)

• I don't have either of these items, but my understanding is that with the exception of the 2015 RSD Spot The Pigeon reissue (for some reason) all releases after Davis remixed the catalogue were those versions. For instance, the 35th anniversary vinyl edition of Seconds Out. I'd be very surprised if they'd returned to the original mixes for these, but apologies I cannot say definitively.

• I don't have either of these items, but my understanding is that with the exception of the 2015 RSD Spot The Pigeon reissue (for some reason) all releases after Davis remixed the catalogue were those versions. For instance, the 35th anniversary vinyl edition of Seconds Out. I'd be very surprised if they'd returned to the original mixes for these, but apologies I cannot say definitively.

Hi Phil (you're not that Phil are you?!! ^^)

Thanks for the basic info of how future releases after '08 should be.

I checked Tony Cousins' Discogs, and it links this Italian version and the Japanese '09 CD as one and the same thing in theory.

If anyone has this Italian 2011 release and could photograph the inside credits on who mixed and mastered it, I'd feel a LOT easier knowing I've brought the right version!

The '94 remasters seem quite common in Italy from some digging around I've done. I'd just like to get the definitive credit so I don't buy the '94 version twice!!!

• Congratulations!

The remixes of all of the live albums sounded great, but especially Seconds Out!

Definitely! :)

I was always impressed with the original mix of "The Longs" and "The Shorts", but it's great having the songs in the concert order for the 2009 remix where they're both combined! :)

Just need to get the remix of "Three Sides Live" and I'm done!! Does that sound as good as these two out of interest?

• I found the original mixes of The Longs and The Shorts to be shrill and trebly, which was in vogue as a mixing style at the time, much like the original version of Serious Hits Live. The 2009 remixes toned that down a lot, and I prefer the sound and consider the return to concert order a big upgrade. Some of the missing overdubs in the remixed versions make a few of the songs sound a little different but nothing too troublesome.

Three Sides Live sounds great to me, but perhaps less of a huge revelation compared to the rest. I thought the original mix of Three Sides Live sounded great already. There is some improvement, for sure, but I don't think it was as lacking as the others.