STEVE HACKETT - Guitar Noir (album thread - and 30th anniversary)

• Official Post

30 years ago today, STEVE HACKETT released his album Guitar Noir, which eventually became a comeback album - and the starting point for what many fans call his "later period".

Our review was done in 1993, first published in German in our old it-Magazine #8 (September 1993) and quite a few years later translater and put online here:

Genesis News Com [it]: Steve Hackett - Guitar Noir - CD review (genesis-news.com)

So what do you think about this album?

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Guitar Noir marks the beginning of what I consider to be Hackett's renaissance — a period of mostly great albums which included Darktown and To Watch The Storms.

At the time of this release, post-80s, I had become accustomed to disappointment with albums like Cured and GTR and wasn't feeling all that enthusiastic about going out and buying the album. I was feeling that way about a few of my musical heroes at the time.

But after a co-worker who was a fellow Genesis fan praised the album and recommended it, I thought I'd pick it up. As it turned out, the opening track "Sierra Quemada" caught me off guard and completely wowed me.

• Apparently one of my favorite of all Hackett-albums. Love the atmosphere, the melodies, the general mood of this album. Standout tracks are Sierra quemada, There are many sides to the night, Dark as the grave and In the heart of the city (for me)

• I too had been a bit disappointed with Hackett's output in the 80s. I only found out about Guitar Noir when I was browsing in one of the big music stores, and something made me decide to give it a chance.
    As soon as I heard Sierra Quemada I knew I'd made a good decision. Walking Away From Rainbows and There Are Many Sides To The Night also stand out.

Really hoping his next album will be a 'Guitar Noir' moment, to make up for some of his more recent studio albums.

• NOIR just might be the Hackett album with his best singing.

My favorite track is "In the Heart of the City."

BTW, I've never had the "revised" version with all the bonus tracks; I only have the U.S. original (with "Cassandra" as a hidden track).

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Always loved this album, easily in my top ten Hackett albums. I too love the atmosphere and Steve's harmonies are fantastic here. Great melodies and some stunningly melodic guitar work make this a great album, imo.