PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Album tracklist discussion

• After the first show of the tour and Peter performing 12 new tracks, I was wandering if we still don't know it, but in truth we have heard the new album performed in full. Apart from speculations and rumors I hear here and there, but without an evidence or confirmation, the views of:

- 20 tracks album

- 12/13 tracks double album with bright and dark mixes (and maybe a standard edition with a selection of all the tracks, each one in the favorite PG mix)

- triple album

are still something uncertain.

But my thoughts are simple: if we have 13 full moons in 2023, and Peter's just performed 12 tracks, we can suggest all the album tracklist are unveiled (and maybe track 13 - we have double full moon in August - is a sort of hidden/ghost/bonus track).

Could I be right?

Here's the probable tracklist at this point (in alphabetical order):

The news that truly shocks is the empty, empty page

Edited 2 times, last by Blukaos ().

• Blukaos

Changed the title of the thread from “i/o - Album tracklist discussion” to “PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Album tracklist discussion”.
    • Official Post

I wonder what will happen t those tracks

• I wonder what will happen t those tracks

Great question.

Obviously the fact some of these tracks never appeared even on the huge "Float" collection, makes me leave a small hope.

Maybe there's a track which will be the 13th full moon

I say this because I've already seen it appearing somewhere as title on https://genius.com/albums/Peter-gabriel/I-o for example. And they usually have released other titles before the official releasing, usually revealed truth.

But there are other stuff I'm wondering about. For example the track about aging he quotes often in the last years:

• Official Post

About your assumption regarding the 13th full moon.

I know this title is being discussed bit has anybody really seen this in one of the videos? I checked this a couple of times and can't find the sequence.

Peter said anyway that there will be a surplus. So I won't be surprised in case he just continues ...

• Maybe there will be a second album (a year) after I/O ? Who knows ? I bet Peter won't promise anything with the UP - I/O experience 8o But a quick 2nd release Is a possibility with all those tracks that won't end up on I/O. In the uncut interview PG also says that tracks like The veil and Why don't you show yourself should some day find a place on an album ....

• Official Post

Maybe there will be a second album (a year) after I/O ? Who knows ? I bet Peter won't promise anything with the UP - I/O experience 8o But a quick 2nd release Is a possibility with all those tracks that won't end up on I/O. In the uncut interview PG also says that tracks like The veil and Why don't you show yourself should some day find a place on an album ....

obviously the tracks that were originally meant to be on i/o (from the late nineties / early 2000 sessions) will no longer be. So what will happen to them?

• that's another good question ! He doesn't talk about those. It seems he lost faith in these tracks. He seems to be willing to express himself in a more simple / direct way these days.

I hope Why don't you show yourself will be released someday as I quite love it...

• Official Post

Yesterday they rehearsed another completely unknown / new track in Verona. So that could also find its way onto the album. Let’s wait what kind of song this is (and what it’s name is)

Blukaos - have you heard this one during soundcheck?

• Yesterday they rehearsed another completely unknown / new track in Verona. So that could also find its way onto the album. Let’s wait what kind of song this is (and what it’s name is)

I wasn’t sure but had the same impression. That must have been a new track they rehearsed. Maybe tonight in Milan …

... make tomorrow today!

• Peter has mentioned having some 20 or so songs from his work on this album. Really, if he releases the 12 already heard on the concert, he could easily have enough for a whole nother album if he chose to release it maybe a year later-there could easily be some 10 songs for that one.

Unlikely, but he could do it.

• Official Post

He said he may keep on releasing stuff on Bandcamp as there is a surplus

• Official Post

I thought I understood he would go on with the full moon releases. Have you heard it would only be Bandcamp ?

no sorry, of course I meant Full Moon releases. Whether or not that will be limited to Bandcamp then, I don't know. We'll see

• Maybe there will be a second album (a year) after I/O ? Who knows ? I bet Peter won't promise anything with the UP - I/O experience 8o But a quick 2nd release Is a possibility with all those tracks that won't end up on I/O. In the uncut interview PG also says that tracks like The veil and Why don't you show yourself should some day find a place on an album ....

He could call it O/I, aka "The Scottish Album". :D

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I guess we'll know when we know... but my prediction is that i/o will be 13 songs in total.

The 12 songs performed live so far, plus 'So Much', which was on the Verona printed setlist, but not played.

EDIT - Though on second thought, maybe it'll just be 12. If the "one song per new moon" cycle continues, a 13th song wouldn't be out until January 2024.

Keeping it at 12 songs, would give us a final new song on December 12, 2023 and can then release a physical version just before Christmas.

Edited once, last by rlj1010 ().

• Official Post

I guess we'll know when we know... but my prediction is that i/o will be 13 songs in total.

The 12 songs performed live so far, plus 'So Much', which was on the Verona printed setlist, but not played.

EDIT - Though on second thought, maybe it'll just be 12. If the "one song per new moon" cycle continues, a 13th song wouldn't be out until January 2024.

Keeping it at 12 songs, would give us a final new song on December 12, 2023 and can then release a physical version just before Christmas.

There are 13 full moons in 2023 ;)

• Yesterday they rehearsed another completely unknown / new track in Verona. So that could also find its way onto the album. Let’s wait what kind of song this is (and what it’s name is)

Christian I confirm. I was there during soundcheck in Verona. They've rehearsed loudly in the early afternoon some "Sledgehammer" repetitions without PG. Probably just for checking the PA in the Arena. Then they came back with PG in the late afternoon (I think it was 5 or 5.30 p.m.) and they've rehearsed again without the PA on. So you can't hear very clear because they were using only the sound from their monitors onstage (it was barely audible only staying very close to the stage). At this point they've tried out 2 or 3 times different portions of a new song not in the final setlist, and I'm sure about the song title because the incipit of the chorus is the title of the track repeated twice. It seemed a full band, mid-tempo slightly melancholic track, close to "Live and Let Live" or "Olive Tree" style for the little I can hear. The title of the song is down here to not spoil:

• Official Post

I can add some details to the discussion. The german copyright organisation is the GEMA and all tracks published will have to be registered there.

Road To Joy was recently added, as was And Still, This Is Home, Olive Tree and Live And Let Live and ... So Much!

There is one unknown track, Put The Bucket Down.

Then, also "Show Yourself" was added and we first thought it's Why Don't You Show Yourself, but that was registered a decade ago already. So either a completely different version(?) or something different? We will find out ...