PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Album tracklist discussion

• I thought he might do a double album , one with bright side and one with dark side mixes. I don't think that's going to happen, the more I think about it. He obviously has more material than will end up on the album, so I hope he will also release the left-overs.

Having said that, he also must have a lot of stuff from the late nineties. Baby man etc.

• I was personally thinking what he might do is release a "Dark Version" and separately a "Light Version" of i/o, and people can choose which one they would get. That may prove tough for fans, as they might like 'dark' of one song but prefer 'light' of another. But that would be a great way to get fans to get two copies!! ;)

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I don't think they will release an album with both versions on one. IMO the mixes are not distinct enough from eachother for that, and anyone other than the hardcore fan may see it as redundant.

Regarding the remaining songs, I suppose he might continue to release songs over the course of the remaining however many full moons, even after the album is released (which I predict will be in the fall sometime).

I wonder which one he'll release this Saturday?!

• I can add some details to the discussion. The german copyright organisation is the GEMA and all tracks published will have to be registered there.

Road To Joy was recently added, as was And Still, This Is Home, Olive Tree and Live And Let Live and ... So Much!

There is one unknown track, Put The Bucket Down.

Then, also "Show Yourself" was added and we first thought it's Why Don't You Show Yourself, but that was registered a decade ago already. So either a completely different version(?) or something different? We will find out ...

An important detail is that apparently all new songs were registered at the same time (you can tell by the numerical sequence in the table below), except "Road To Joy", which was registered together with "Four Kinds of Horses", which reinforces the theory that this is the song for the next Full Moon.

The fact that these songs were registered together recently also suggests that Peter has finally decided on all the songs that will make the album, or even that the album is on its way to the press plant.

SONG GEMA WORK NO. ISWC
    And Still 33636376 T-318.065.920-1
    Live and Let Live 33636379 T-318.065.922-3
    Olive Tree 33636380 T-318.065.921-2
    Put The Bucket Down 33636382 T-318.065.923-4
    Show Yourself 33636383 T-318.065.924-5
    So Much 33636384 T-318.065.925-6
    This is Home 33636385 T-318.065.926-7
    Panopticom 32645231 T-314.520.019-3
    The Court 32832076 T-315.491.729-6
    Playing For Time 32918433 T-315.683.128-2
    i/o 33135198 T-316.148.172-3
    Four Kinds of Horses 33320924 T-317.214.419-9
    Road To Joy 33320925 T-317.214.418-8
  • I’ve always thought the i/o title lends itself to a double album, but I agree that this is very unlikely. Nevertheless, if there really is to be 12 or 13 tracks, that’ll be the most of any of Peter’s studio albums, except for Scratch My Back, which had 12. Peter Gabriel 2 (Scratch) had 11. There have typically been only 9 or 10 tracks per album, but I guess i/o has been 20 years in the making!

I’m kind of sad that ‘Baby Man’ seems to have been dropped. It appeared to have been (pretty much) finished when it featured at the end of the ‘Growing Up On Tour: A Family Portrait’ DVD, and I always thought it was destined for i/o. The lyrics I’ve managed to decipher to the beautiful first live performance of ‘So Much’ have almost superseded it: “As an old man, I was born / But I’ve grown to be a baby”. If ‘Baby Man’ isn’t going to be on the album, I do hope it’s released next year along with the surplus stuff. While I love all of the new material so far, I miss the World Music influences.

A track called ‘Path of Fortune’ has been referred to quite a bit. I could be very wrong, but I know Peter changes song titles a lot, and the aforementioned name is very similar to ‘Road To Joy’ — Road/Path and Joy/Fortune. In my opinion, it’s likely to be the same song.

As ‘What Lies Ahead’ was developed from a melody that his son, Isaac, came up with — and the lyrics are inspired by his father, I imagine it’s quite a special track for Peter and that, despite it being dropped from the tour setlist for some reason, it’s likely to feature on the album.

In the Uncut magazine article, Peter stated that he’d like to put ‘The Veil’ and ‘Why Don’t You Show Yourself’ on an album someday, which indicates to me that these won’t be on i/o, despite ‘Show Yourself’ being recently Copywrite registered. It’s possible that Peter has changed his mind though…

Here’s to looking up at the sky and knowing the new full moon is coming! 🌕

• Official Post

Yes it’s obvious that pre 2011 material has been dropped from i/o, so Baby Man might come out in a different setting. He has also released some older material over the years such as I‘m Amazing. He also mentioned a different version of Nocturnal a long time ago. So that is no longer material for i/o.

Still hope we’ll get to hear Rock Paper Scissors and Radio Everyone as well. Those were rehearsed in 2016.

rjhatcher welcome to our community

• Official Post

Could really Show yourself be the same song of the 2012/14 tour? I think Why don't you show yourself must have been registered year ago, before the Back to front dvd. Or not?

that’s what I wrote several posts before.
    so it’s either a completely new version or a different song

• Interesting to see that Love Can Heal isn't on that possible tracklist above. I remember Peter specifically saying himself in his Empire magazine interview that Love Can Heal would be on the album.

• Official Post

Interesting to see that Love Can Heal isn't on that possible tracklist above. I remember Peter specifically saying himself in his Empire magazine interview that Love Can Heal would be on the album.

Love Can Heal was registered in 2016, together with Radio Everyone and Rock Paper Scissors. That's why it doesn't appear in that list above, which contains recently added tracks.

• Just a couple of extra interesting things that I’ve remembered by re-watching the Full Moon video for January. Peter refers to i/o as “a brand new record of brand new songs or slightly used items”. Could the slightly used items simply be ‘Playing For Time / Daddy Long Legs’ and ‘What Lies Ahead’, which he’d performed live some years ago? Also, he mentions Rioghnach Connolly from The Breath, who contributes backing vocals on ‘Panopticom’ — and states “there will be another track you’ll hear later in the year where she’s very audible”. From all of the live performances from the i/o Tour that I’ve seen so far, there’s not been a strong female vocal on any of the new material, so are we in for a surprise?

A PG-led studio version of ‘Downside Up’, anyone? 🙃

• Interesting to see that Love Can Heal isn't on that possible tracklist above. I remember Peter specifically saying himself in his Empire magazine interview that Love Can Heal would be on the album.

I didn't include "Love Can Heal" and "What Lies Ahead" on that list just because they were registered a long time ago.

There will be a total of 13 full moons in 2023. Which makes me wonder when this album will actually be released (whether it's an album or just singles), if there will be more songs released after 2023, if any will be left outside. Because everything indicates that we will have more than 13 new songs.

P.S.: I really wanted "Baby Man" to be in it too.

• Manu Katche said that the album will be released in 2023, but has Peter actually stated that himself? Us and Up were both released in September (1992 and 2002). I don’t think i/o will be released before all of the tracks on it have been unveiled via each full moon — there would be no point in releasing ‘singles’ after that point. So i/o will either have fewer tracks than we all think (9 or 10) and be out in September 2023, or it may not come out until 2024…

• Official Post

Manu Katche said that the album will be released in 2023, but has Peter actually stated that himself? Us and Up were both released in September (1992 and 2002). I don’t think i/o will be released before all of the tracks on it have been unveiled via each full moon — there would be no point in releasing ‘singles’ after that point. So i/o will either have fewer tracks than we all think (9 or 10) and be out in September 2023, or it may not come out until 2024…

it won’t be out by September - that would require a lot of promo activity and vinyl pressing schedules etc. impossible. And he’s on tour then.

• Manu Katche said that the album will be released in 2023, but has Peter actually stated that himself? Us and Up were both released in September (1992 and 2002). I don’t think i/o will be released before all of the tracks on it have been unveiled via each full moon — there would be no point in releasing ‘singles’ after that point. So i/o will either have fewer tracks than we all think (9 or 10) and be out in September 2023, or it may not come out until 2024…

I have more and more been thinking that i/o would be released close to the end of the year. Perhaps even after the tour is over-which IIRC is November, right? It would make sense, just in time for the holidays....But I figured he'd get thru all the full moons-and THEN release the album once that-and the tour-is complete.

• Yeah I guess it really depends how many tracks will be on i/o. He’ll release every one on a full moon and only after that will the physical album come. It’ll definitely be after the tour. If you’re right and it’s November, that makes 12 tracks (there are two full moons in August 🙂).

• Official Post

Yeah I guess it really depends how many tracks will be on i/o. He’ll release every one on a full moon and only after that will the physical album come. It’ll definitely be after the tour. If you’re right and it’s November, that makes 12 tracks (there are two full moons in August 🙂).

I don't think it's this year. More likely it will come in spring 2024. Before the next tour leg starts. I am pretty sure he will finish this year's moon cycles and then decide what will be on the album.

• Official Post

You think he'll make another European tour in 2024 to promote I/O ?

I think it was the Stick Men manager who "revealed" that Peter has blocked Tony Levin for quite some time in 2023 and 2024. Pretty sure Peter will continue in 2024.

• C'est ce qu'il a fait pour le 'Growing up tour' et pour le 'Back to front tour'. A chaque fois, il est revenu au printemps suivant en Europe pour une nouvelle salve de dates en Europe, parfois dans des villes non visitées lors du premier tour. Et c'était ainsi l'occasion (en 2004 surtout) d'inclure de nouvelles chansons (Burn you up, burn you down; White ashes) et d'autres non jouées (San Jacinto). Il n'y a pas de raison, vu le succès critique et public, qu'il ne fasse pas la même chose cette fois-ci.

• I think it was the Stick Men manager who "revealed" that Peter has blocked Tony Levin for quite some time in 2023 and 2024. Pretty sure Peter will continue in 2024.

It's not unusual for him to do multiple legs for his tours. IIRC, his Growing Up tour lasted over two years if you total all the legs together during that time.

I also wonder if he is waiting to see how well each song is received during his tour, before deciding what to put on the album-and then putting on the ones that got the most favorable reactions from the audiences as a whole. That would be a wise way of doing it really. That could also explain why literally half of the 22 song setlist is all new songs (which is a lot).