PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Album tracklist discussion

• I just came to a realization this morning;

My daughter and I will be seeing him in Denver in late October. That means all of the songs on the setlist-which really are the ones most likely to be released over the next four months-will probably all be released by then. So we will seemingly have a very different experience than those who went to shows already, since we will already know ALL of the new songs on the setlist! That makes me even more excited, as I'm not a huge fan of going to see a concert with a bunch of material I've never heard before.

As for the album, it has been mentioned elsewhere that it's possible that the songs played on tour are basically the songs he will include on the album, and so technically we've already "heard" the album. I agree to some extent, but I think the album will basically be whatever songs he releases each full moon this year, and the album will come out in December or January.

• I just came to a realization this morning;

My daughter and I will be seeing him in Denver in late October. That means all of the songs on the setlist-which really are the ones most likely to be released over the next four months-will probably all be released by then. So we will seemingly have a very different experience than those who went to shows already, since we will already know ALL of the new songs on the setlist! That makes me even more excited, as I'm not a huge fan of going to see a concert with a bunch of material I've never heard before.

As for the album, it has been mentioned elsewhere that it's possible that the songs played on tour are basically the songs he will include on the album, and so technically we've already "heard" the album. I agree to some extent, but I think the album will basically be whatever songs he releases each full moon this year, and the album will come out in December or January.

December and January are the most unlikely two months for an album release ...

Besides that and besides the Dark Side / Bright Side mixes, I wonder whether or not he will do some extra production after the tour to improve the tracks. I can imagine that may work with Road to joy for example.

• I'm quite sure that he'll use the tour experience to rework slightly or remix some of the tracks that he thinks could be improved.

and I hope that after the dark and the bright mixes, we'll get the perfect "final mixes" for the album. :)

• December and January are the most unlikely two months for an album release ...

Besides that and besides the Dark Side / Bright Side mixes, I wonder whether or not he will do some extra production after the tour to improve the tracks. I can imagine that may work with Road to joy for example.

I think Road to Joy sounds great as it is...that's his best one yet, at least IMO. I'm interested though; what improvement are you hoping to hear for Road To Joy?

• I don't think it's this year. More likely it will come in spring 2024. Before the next tour leg starts. I am pretty sure he will finish this year's moon cycles and then decide what will be on the album.

Do we think we'll have a touring situation similar to the Up tour in 2002-04?
    Up was: No. Am. Arenas Nov-Dec 2002, Europe April 24--June 1, 2003, No. Am sheds: June-July 2003, Europe again May--July 2004.

Do we think this one will be.

*Europe: May--June 2023 ( in progress), No. Am Arenas Sep--Oct, Europe again: April--May or this exact same time next year, No. Am sheds/maybe a few arenas: Summer/Fall next year, Europe one final time: late next year (same window of time as the last leg of the Back to Front tour)/middle of the year after that (Same window of time as either 2003 or this year)?

• Do we think we'll have a touring situation similar to the Up tour in 2002-04?
    Up was: No. Am. Arenas Nov-Dec 2002, Europe April 24--June 1, 2003, No. Am sheds: June-July 2003, Europe again May--July 2004.

Do we think this one will be.

*Europe: May--June 2023 ( in progress), No. Am Arenas Sep--Oct, Europe again: April--May or this exact same time next year, No. Am sheds/maybe a few arenas: Summer/Fall next year, Europe one final time: late next year (same window of time as the last leg of the Back to Front tour)/middle of the year after that (Same window of time as either 2003 or this year)?

Some of us would like Australia. But never mind. :(

• I'm quite sure that he'll use the tour experience to rework slightly or remix some of the tracks that he thinks could be improved.

and I hope that after the dark and the bright mixes, we'll get the perfect "final mixes" for the album. :)

I don't think he's going to come back to these songs for the simple reason that the album is finished.

As we have seen, each song benefited from a fairly complex production. In addition, Oli Jacobs mentioned several times that the mastering was now complete.

The only thing we don't know is:

- The number of songs decided by Peter

- One album or two albums (depending on the mixes)

- The actual release date

For now, we have to be patient and accept this peculiar marketing plan. Admittedly, this makes it possible to talk about the artist on social networks, but it gives a puzzle side to the songs which is a little unpleasant...

Edited once, last by Ben ().

• Official Post

What I'd like to know if he'd consider doing is have all the purchases of the single tracks count towards the full album.

members of his full moon club will have a discount on releases.
    but it is still quite possible (speculation!) that the final album version will be slightly different from the bright or dark side mixes.

• members of his full moon club will have a discount on releases.
    but it is still quite possible (speculation!) that the final album version will be slightly different from the bright or dark side mixes.

True-PG is known for nothing if not (among other things) a plethora of alternate mixes for his songs!

• I think So Much is very likely to be on the album. I’ve just got back from the London gig and one of the many tour t-shirts for sale has “This edition is limited” across the front of it, which is part of the lyrics of So Much 😃

Also, the tour programme has the ‘art of i/o’ for the following songs:

Panopticom

Road To Joy

So Much

i/o
    Four Kinds Of Horses
    Love Can Heal

Playing For Time
    And Still

Olive Tree

The Court

This Is Home
    Live And Let Live

It’s curious that So Much has only been played once so far on the tour; however, I’m thinking the above will be our i/o tracklist. There’s no artwork for What Lies Ahead…

Edited 3 times, last by rjhatcher ().

• I forget exactly what it was in reference to, but at the London show Peter mentioned the possibility of o/i as a follow-up to i/o. Of course, he may have been joking. However, if it happens, I’m guessing this would be where the tracks that didn’t make it onto the i/o record would find a home…

• Official Post

He said in the Uncut interview that there is a surplus of tracks, and we will get 13 this year anyway. So I think he will continue in 2024, but i/o will also come out early next year then.

For more info about possible tracks, check our Making Of i/o special

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…he-Making-Of-IO-s161.html

• I forget exactly what it was in reference to, but at the London show Peter mentioned the possibility of o/i as a follow-up to i/o. Of course, he may have been joking. However, if it happens, I’m guessing this would be where the tracks that didn’t make it onto the i/o record would find a home…

Oi!

Abandon all reason