Calling All Stations - '97 or '07 mix?

• What mix of Calling All Stations is better to listen to for the first time? 7

1. 2007 mix (4) 57%
    2. 1997 mix (3) 43%

Hi everyone,

So I'm gradually going to buy the Red, Green & Blue sets in various denominations (as cheap as I can find full sets, or buy the boxes and discs separately).

I'll buy Calling All Stations more for the 2007 interviews, but my main question is:

What mix of the album is better to listen to as a first listen, the original 1997 CD, or the 2007 CD?

I've never heard it and I'm interested to hear it, but I know that the 1991 CD (and vinyl) of We Can't Dance sounds MILES better than the 2007 mix from what samples I've heard online. I was just wondering if that is the same case here?

Maybe Nick Davis struggles to re-mix his own work?

I've added a poll too if that helps!!! :)

• To be honest, I'm not sure why anybody would want to listen in anything other than chronological order. Then you can hear how the changes have, hopefully, improved the final result and assess Nick's mixing credentials.

• I've not done an A/B listen in years, but at the time I didn't notice much of a difference between the original mix and the 2007 mix of Calling All Stations.

I didn't notice a difference in We Can't Dance either. Both of those albums were recorded and mixed in the same studio by the same guy using the same equipment and being the most recent albums already had (imo) pretty much flawless production the first time around.

I'm assuming we're talking about the stereo mixes. The surround mixes of both were nice and put a little more air and separation into the sound that brought a fresh take to albums that I nearly wore out when they were first released.

Of the four red box albums both Genesis and (especially) Invisible Touch were the most noticeably and dramatically improved.

• The surround mixes of both were nice and put a little more air and separation into the sound that brought a fresh take to albums that I nearly wore out when they were first released.

Agreed - the 5.1 mixes by Nick Davis were really well done. The mastering, on the other hand..... !

• Agreed - the 5.1 mixes by Nick Davis were really well done. The mastering, on the other hand..... !

If we're talking about the compression issues, I really only hear that in the stereo mixes of the blue box albums. The red box and green box albums didn't suffer to nearly the same degree.