9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PETER GABRIEL - Digging In The Dirt
    Year: 1992
    Album: US
    Working title:
    Credits: Gabriel
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:18
    Musicians: Peter Gabriel, David Rhodes, Katie May, Manu Katché, Brian Eno, Melanie Gabriel
    Played live: 1993, 1994, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2023
    Cover versions:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: The first single from the US album was once again a contrasting programme. Instead of producing a "beautiful" video, Gabriel created something aggressive and disturbing. In addition, the song hardly had any straightforward sound elements, but instead wobbled and pumped forward with rather unusual sounds. Digging In The Dirt soon became a live classic - the song probably had its best live version on the Growing Up Tour, as the greatest energy and force was transported there. Visually, the Secret World Tour was the highlight for this song. It has, unsurprisingly, returned to the set during the i/o tour in 2023.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I never got too much into Gabriel's solo career but this song and video is connected with memories. It was on MTV at the same time with Genesis and I Can't Dance. I just loved this creative video, it was outstanding, there was nothing else like it. My dad would tell me then about Sledgehammer.

• Tour spoiler in the first post!!! Please remove!

I love this song. I remember when it came out, and it was on one of those Now! collections. At the time, the usual poppier hits sat alongside darker club music and the odd grunge track in the charts. Digging in the dirt leaned heavily into the darker, almost unsettling vibe that came from the dance music of the time, but it obviously wasn't a dance song. The 90s were good for these kinds of off-kilter sounds - I think of other tracks like 7 Seconds or Right Beside You in the same context. With Peter's track there was the added contrast of beauty in the chorus to counter the menacing verse. A terrifically textured and well-crafted song. I feel like he tried to recreate this on Darkness with a little less success (though I love Darkness too). 14 for me, but it's really 14.5.

• Absolute classic, but mainly for the lyrics rather than the sound. "This time you've gone too far'.... etc. I will have it in my head for the whole day now. Strangely I didn't like the video that much.

• 14 from me.

I really enjoyed the new live version, but this track has always been a great one, no matter in what setting.

... make tomorrow today!

• Tour spoiler in the first post!!!

Then again after your msg. This is why I decided to avoid all PG threads until after I'd been to my first gig!

This isn't among my favourite PG tracks but I do like the dark intensity of it.

Re the video, I don't remember much about it other than thinking it was a bit gratuitous having an apple conveniently in the car to look good as it got smashed in slo-mo, and that the brunette was nice-looking.

Abandon all reason