PETER GABRIEL - Road To Joy - track discussion

• Official Post

The next track is Road To Joy, available at midnight your time in the Bright-Side Mix first

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

First few vocal lines reminded me of Burn You Up, Burn You Down

• I had not spotted Burn you up burn you down, but that is true.

To me, the beginning sounds almost identical to the first chords of Kiss that Frog. When the song began in Paris, I thought he was starting that song actually

"Sharp sound swim around

Soaking into the brittle ground"

"Splash, dash, heard your call

Bring you back your golden ball"

Definitely not in the same key, but identical in many ways. Fortunately, then the song diverges into something else (I do not especially like Kiss That Frog).

PG seems to quote himself from time to time, especially in i/o... A musician only has a finite number of chords to play, I guess. Or it may also be that we old fan are looking for similarities that do not exist.

Waking up the road to frog!

• Official Post

Full moon video has arrived

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

An a Short version has also been launched

External Content youtu.be

• Official Post

We have also added a new track article for Road To Joy here

Genesis News Com [it]: Song 06: "Road To Joy" (6 June 2023) (genesis-news.com)

• Wonderful track. It's not outstanding, but surely will add nicely to the i/o stuff. And it has a groove!

... make tomorrow today!

• I like that one. Surely not one of his classics, but every album needs tacks like this. The first few lines indeed relate to Kiss that frog, but as the song develops, it's something different.

• Having heard the studio version last weekend, I even like the live version more. This won’t be the best track on i/o, but it’s nice to have some groovy / up tempo stuff on the record.

• When I first heard it, I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was too familiar (Kiss that frog phrasing) or too simple in the chorus. But after a few listens, I like it !

I don't care anymore about the kiss that frog analogy (it's also much better) and find it enjoyable. The energy, the positive vibe is so nice !

There's something that reminds me the ambiance of Shaking the tree. I don't know what exacltly...

It's not my favorite of the new tracks , but it's a good one !

I think it will fit well on the album.

• I didn't like it at first (I also think the comparisons to Kiss that frog are not THAT obvious, especially when in the chorus) but now I think it's a pretty enjoyable track and may bring some uplifted moon on the record. Curious to see where the track will end up, i.e. more at the beginning or more towards the end?

• Dark side mix sound very different from the little bit I could hear. It sounds more dynamic and there are some v nice new elements.

Parts of the verses remind me now of PG3 ? ! :)

After 6 Dark and Bright mixes, I find I like more often the dark mixes, except for the court (I love the Strings and Brass sounds of Bright mix) and PFT.

I like Tchad Blake's manipulations and ideas, his "extreme" side. Only downside, his mixes sound sometimes a bit "hard". Lots of high mediums. Probably because he uses lots of distortions.

Mark "Spike" Stent, is a bit "safe" in his balances and hides often important elements of PG's music, but his sound is marvellous.

Maybe they should mix together ! :)

https://music.apple.com/nz/artist/peter-gabriel/115433 (direct click on the link won't work. If you want to listen to it, you need to copy and paste the link in your web browser)

• The track / mix has not yet appeared in my Bandcamp

collection. Is it just me or is it generally not yet available there?

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

You are not alone …. I also can’t see it yet

• Official Post

Significant differences. The funky guitar during the verses is not there, it all sounds edgier.

• A propos du dark side mix de Road to joy de Tchad Blake
    Là, la basse de T. Levin est plus présente et impressionnante mais où est passée la guitare funky et même la partie de clavier (très 80's) qui font le sel du morceau.

Après 6 morceaux, à mon humble avis, mes préférences vont au Dark side mix de Tchad Blake pour Panopticom, The Court et Playing for time et au bright side mix de Marc 'Spike' Stent pour les 3 morceaux qui suivent : I/O, Four kinds of horses et Road to Joy.