In The Air Tonight ('88 Remix)

• Official Post

Apparently the single was released 35 years ago today. Just heard this again - and still don't think this remix was a good idea.

What do you think?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• 35 years ...

I also have my poblems with that remix. I thought the extended Liebrand mix is quite interesting, as it takes the track in a different direction, but this single mix takes away the atmosphere of the original song . The additional drums are not good, imo.

• Don't even ask?...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah, I'm not a fan of the extra drums. I'm also not sure if radio really ever adopted it, in spite of it seemingly being made specifically for radio. I think of the hundreds of times I've heard In The Air Tonight on the radio I've heard that remix twice, maybe three times...in 35 years?!?

• The problem with this remix is that it misses the whole point of the original arrangement. The dramatic shift with the drum entry is set up by having the minutes preceding being quiet and understated, with only the subtle drum machine providing the rhythm. Adding a backbeat earlier really takes away from this thrilling transition.

• Sounds just like the original 1981 UK (and presumably everywhere else) single version, which could be also known as the "Ahmet Ertegunn thinks he knows best mix"! Utterly pointless extra drums thrown on top of it, because some guy in America thinks they should be. As Dr. John says, it ruins the song, and is seldom heard these days, even the "......Hits" album has the original album version on it. Is this really a remix? What's changed?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I actually like the '88 remix, although I will admit I can do without the extra drums at the beginning.

I like that the different guitar effects allow the tone to come thru more clearly, and the backing vocals are more clear and full. Also the drums at the end have a noticeably looser and more powerful gated reverb setting which I prefer.

Lastly the tom sound in the drum machine pattern on this version isn't distorted on every other hit, due to the feedback of the bass drum that hits simultaneously-every tom hit of the drum machine in this version comes thru clearly.

I would've loved to have a remastered version of this one...perhaps without the drums at the beginning!

• It was daft to remix that song; it detracts from the original instead of offering something fresh and exciting. However this is from back in the day when clumsy remixing efforts of tracks which didn't lend themselves to it were de jour. Land of Confusion was another.

• It was daft to remix that song; it detracts from the original instead of offering something fresh and exciting. However this is from back in the day when clumsy remixing efforts of tracks which didn't lend themselves to it were de jour. Land of Confusion was another.

I kind of liked the Land of Confusion one.

Thanks to shuffle and a jumbo playlist of my favorite 5 bands playing in the car, I just recently became aware of the nearly 6 minute version of Invisible Touch with all echoey vocals. Not good.