• Thanks Slowdancer. I have to say I lost interest in Marillion post Misplaced Childhood. Fair to say I think that there are no hidden tracks in the entire Genesis discography!

My cat is named Duchess.

• But there is a get-out clause here in the hidden track (remember them?). Example, Nirvana's Nevermind had one way after the final song, Something In The Way. So you would fast-forward on the CD player until it located it. FWIW the hidden track was rubbish though as I recall. :D

when I bought the album back in the day, I thought I had a copy of a mispressing. I told my cd-seller and he said, the pressing was okay and that there was a hidden track on the album. It was the first time, I heard, that something like hidden tracks existed.

:)

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• when I bought the album back in the day, I thought I had a copy of a mispressing. I told my cd-seller and he said, the pressing was okay and that there was a hidden track on the album. It was the first time, I heard, that something like hidden tracks existed.

:)

Yes, The Nirvana hidden track was called "Endless Nameless" and it wasn't on every pressing of the CD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind#Track_listing). I remember tooling around town with a friend listening to the CD and when it ended there was silence for several minutes before we realized the CD hadn't reset to track one. We looked at the time display and realized it was still going so we sat and waited until the hidden track played, which was, as we said forgettable. I checked my copy of Nevermind when I got home and it did not have the hidden track.

• ... lest we forget 8o

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bolt Thrower were much better at that sort of thing!

My cat is named Duchess.

• It's alright I suppose, not a great ending to the album. It seems to be telling the listener to not take everything too seriously because, after all, it's only "knock and knowall" (whatever that means).

I agree that the version on Three Sides Live is better than the studio version. Bill's drumming at the start is pretty funky and the segue into Watcher Of The Skies is pretty good.

• it's funny that the closing song of a double concept album fades out, but i kind of like that. it's like an ellipsis, it gives that story an ending open to interpretation...

as for the song itself, i like it a lot, it's upbeat and catchy. i usually include it in the genesis compilations i make from time to time. besides, disc 2 of 'the lamb' needs to be represented.

• I like the song. I've never had issues with It.

But then I like the album in its entirety.

There are tracks on sides 3 and 4, that I've occasionally seen others dismiss as filler, that I find exhilarating.

Yes, also see foxfeeder's comment earlier - I'm with you on this. Even the band have often cast sides 3 & 4 as weak. But I love them, especially side 3. As for It itself, I didn't vote as my opinion would be between the first and second options. It's okay, nowhere near my top 10 but still good. I agree that the 3SL version is light - for me, PC's voice doesn't quite work - and notable mainly for the lovely segue into Watcher.

I really like the earlier comment on it being like the album's end credits. With such a convoluted story, I'd be amazed if it had a tangible coherent ending. Though maybe the tangible ending is there, in form of In The Rapids and Rael saving himself. 'It' then becomes, as suggested, the end credits.

Abandon all reason

• It's alright I suppose, not a great ending to the album. It seems to be telling the listener to not take everything too seriously because, after all, it's only "knock and knowall" (whatever that means).

I think this is about right. The "knock and knowall" line has always amused me. I agree it's suggesting not to take it seriously and perhaps it's a sort of pre-emptive move; PG knowing that this sureally-plotted double concept album is almost certainly going to get knocked by smart-arse know-all critics, but he doesn't care - a sort of casual end-of-album shrug.

The line that really amuses me is "It is hope for the dope/ That rides a horse without a hoof"'. I never pay much attention to lyrics - I went through that phase in my teens - so don't attempt to read anything into them. But I often smile at the sheer daftness of that line. But let's face it, that's one daft line in a career liberally sprinkled with them.

Abandon all reason

• It's a reference to heroin users. Heroin is also known as "horse". To be fair, I only got the reference quite recently!

Ah right.

Similarly, it's not that long ago I finally got why 'The Reverend' is so shocked at being offered some "old-fashioned Staffordshire plate".

I'm so green! (in my 50s).

Abandon all reason

• I've always liked the song. Weirdly I think that Peter sort of starts to sing like Phil towards the end of the song, which I know wasn't intentional.