Forum user interaction: DO NOT get personal

• Oh, it's certainly not Steve's band, I agree. But he was an important and integral part of it, which some seem to want to deny.

I was obviously pulling your leg , as I am sure you know perfectly well and as you equally know full well, I never underestimated Steve's contribution, in fact I wish he had been given more space as a player. That is another thing that stuns me sometimes about excessive ''fandom'': deforming facts and reality to adjust them to personal preferences. There is no Steve's era in Genesis, unless we are referring to his tenure with the band but it is ludicrous to put him on the same level as Daryl, as some have said or implied. That's literally rewriting history and something worth vehemently argue against. Again, always civilly. Facts luckily, speak for themselves.

• I do think the the old Forum was a bit lenient at least for my taste, personally I believe if you harass or insult somebody you have no business being on a Forum and that happened. The abovementioned pesterer got away with it over and over, for years and throughout various incarnations of the forum, I might add.

I would never complain about moderators being too absent, they volunteer the service and it is not something I pay for, bearing in mind that I don't want to moderate myself, I don't feel I have the right to complain. However, when formal complaints are filed AND backed up, actions need to be taken imo. I understand what you say, when you talk about some members being too ''earnest'' and lacking social graces but those are in my mind two different things. I wouldn't blame anybody for the former, I have no tolerance for the latter. I particularly despise those so-called keyboard-lions, hiding behind the net, distance and relative anonymity. People who I bet would never dare take a certain tone in a conversation face to face but feel free and safe to unleash on the internet just because they can get away with it. So far I haven't reported anyone. I blocked one and I am so very happy the option is given, I tried to reason with two but that for me is a yellow card and I agree, people rarely change so I believe, it's possible the red card will soon follow.

Ultimately, I think a Genesis Forum, in particular, lends itself to conflicts as there are quite divided camps. Generally and I want to stress this, I am generalizing, Phil's fans are quite aggressive and feel compelled to defend their idol when they feel he is being treated unfairly which in their mind seems to be always. I remember an argument and I am being serious with a member of the previous Forum that couldn't stomach the Lamb but would listen to it just for the backing vocals. That was funny. Peter's era fans are, again generally speaking a bit more relaxed and perhaps snobbish but in the end I will never understand why getting angry and personal over who was the best or stuff like that.

I don't disagree that the old forum was a tad lenient with certain people, it's often a fine line you walk as a mod, but on the whole, action happened most of the time it needed to. It was also massively harsh in one case, when Down & Out was ejected after provocation. I never got the satisfaction of kicking anyone off, I was going to, after issuing a final warning, but he PM'd me to call me a xxxx and then quit.

Ian

Works with chess - Not with life

• I don't disagree that the old forum was a tad lenient with certain people, it's often a fine line you walk as a mod, but on the whole, action happened most of the time it needed to. It was also massively harsh in one case, when Down & Out was ejected after provocation. I never got the satisfaction of kicking anyone off, I was going to, after issuing a final warning, but he PM'd me to call me a xxxx and then quit.

I didn't know about Down& Out, I guess it was during my hiatus. Personally, kicking anybody off wouldn't give me any satisfaction but I'd do it without blinking.

I remember Keltic on the old-old forum, he was fun but a handful and then the guy I keep mentioning, a mystery how he survived. I would have given a lot for 15 minutes quality time with him.

• I don't disagree that the old forum was a tad lenient with certain people, it's often a fine line you walk as a mod, but on the whole, action happened most of the time it needed to. It was also massively harsh in one case, when Down & Out was ejected after provocation. I never got the satisfaction of kicking anyone off, I was going to, after issuing a final warning, but he PM'd me to call me a xxxx and then quit.

I certainly missed Down & Out's contribributions. It was sad the way he left!....:(

Believe in fairness a member should be given 3 strikes!....

I pressed the like button by mistake, meant to press the quote button.

I remember the situation with D & O quite vividly, especially the evil attack against ericm. I guess, D & O must have been in an extraordinary situation at the time, because this kind of behaviour wasn`t typical for him. I still miss him.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• I certainly missed Down & Out's contribributions. It was sad the way he left!....:(

Believe in fairness a member should be given 3 strikes!....

Depending in the strikes I guess. You can tell how somebody gets frustrated and his temper gets the best of him, he lets himself go a bit and commits the equivalent of a misdemeanor: heavy sarcasm or personal remarks. It can happen. Direct insults and worse threats are imo felonies. One warning is more than enough.

• Depending in the strikes I guess. You can tell how some people gets frustrated and his temper gets the best of him, they let himself go a bit and commits the equivalent of a misdemeanor: heavy sarcasm or personal remarks. It can happen. Direct insults and worse threats are imo felonies. One warning is more than enough.

Suppose it all depends on the context of the post and the comments made. ;)

• I found the wonderful feature of blocking the member in question this forum provides to be a good deterrent. Your and his comments are not visible, unless somebody quotes them to reply, so trouble is avoided.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. Blocking someone simply means you can't see any of his/her posts. S/he continues to see all of your posts and is free to continue with whatever abuse or ridicule prompted you to block him/her in the first place. It's the online equivalent of burying your head in the sand like an ostrich. :(

• Unfortunately, this isn't true. Blocking someone simply means you can't see any of his/her posts. S/he continues to see all of your posts and is free to continue with whatever abuse or ridicule prompted you to block him/her in the first place. It's the online equivalent of burying your head in the sand like an ostrich. :(

Not my experience, as I said the person in question can see your posts only if someone replies to you and quotes you and in this case he has to copy and paste to reply. It is possible, I guess, to an extent but it makes it more difficult and, if I maty point out, it's the height of pettiness. To go to the trouble just to be obnoxious? Really, some people should get a life.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• Not my experience, as I said the person in question can see your posts only if someone replies to you and quotes you and in this case he has to copy and paste to reply. It is possible, I guess, to an extent but it makes it more difficult and, if I maty point out, it's the height of pettiness. To go to the trouble just to be obnoxious? Really, some people should get a life.

Ok, I'm now gonna block you and then make another post and request you to reply. If I'm right, you'll see the post but I won't see your reply until I unblock you. It really isn't much of a solution as any troll could ostensibly continue behind my back.

• Fabrizio, you're now blocked. Can you still see this?

I can. I assure you though that the forum, in a thread, notifies me of a post of member I chose to block but I can't read it, nor can I reply to it. Unless the option has been disabled, we will have to ask Christian.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I am a Peter Gabriel era Genesis fan and although I have all their albums, not very often do I listen to anything post TOTT but now and again I read something on here that makes me listen to a later album and I might hear something I missed.

Although I am a PG era fan I would never dream of berating someone for liking only the later albums, we are all different and that is what makes this forum interesting to me.

We all discovered Genesis at different times and that affects which Genesis we like and isnt it great that we all love a group that can change so much and still be popular after all these years :)

It comes down to one thing, respect, I respect other peoples point of view, even if I do not agree with it, and expect the same from them.

• I am a Peter Gabriel era Genesis fan and although I have all their albums, not very often do I listen to anything post TOTT but now and again I read something on here that makes me listen to a later album and I might hear something I missed.

Although I am a PG era fan I would never dream of berating someone for liking only the later albums, we are all different and that is what makes this forum interesting to me.

We all discovered Genesis at different times and that affects which Genesis we like and isnt it great that we all love a group that can change so much and still be popular after all these years :)

It comes down to one thing, respect, I respect other peoples point of view, even if I do not agree with it, and expect the same from them.

That's a good attitude regarding the "eras". It baffles me how overheated and vitriolic some people can get about the different eras, probably more so the post-Duke phase. Sometimes it's as though they feel personally slighted by the band's direction and material. I'm just happy I appreciate their entire output. I love that their work is so wide-ranging. The comparatively unvarying work of some other rock/"progressive" acts has no interest for me at all.

Abandon all reason

My opinion is similar to yours!... :):thumbup: