Genesis: Oldest rock band with all founding members still living?

• I don't know what made me think of this, but here it is.

As of right now every one of the founding members of Genesis is still alive: Peter, Ant, Tony, Mike & Chris. The band was formed in early 1967.

Can any rock band that was formed earlier than Genesis make the same claim? Or does Genesis currently hold the record?

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

A soldier survived mustard gas in combat, and then pepper spray from the police. He's now a seasoned veteran.

• Interesting one. My first thought was The Shadows, but that turns out to be wrong as there were pre-Marvin/Welch members who are no longer with us. My next thought was 10cc whose founder members were active in various guises in the mid-60s but the band didn't officially form until around 1972. They are all still "above grass" (as Rutherford put it) though.

I'm drawing a blank after that so far.

Abandon all reason

• Great question. I think all of the original line up of the Hollies from 1963/4 are alive. I’ve had a quick check add will double check later.

But they are not really a rock band so may not count

• Great question. I think all of the original line up of the Hollies from 1963/4 are alive. I’ve had a quick check add will double check later.

But they are not really a rock band so may not count

I would count them as a "rock band," but according to what I see in Wikipedia, their original bassist died in 2019.

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

A soldier survived mustard gas in combat, and then pepper spray from the police. He's now a seasoned veteran.

• Just to add to this, of all the members who have ever been in Genesis, only one (John Mayhew) has passed.

Yep. It's hard to name any major band from the '60s or '70s with that good of a "survival rate."

For example, both the Doobie Brothers (founded 1970) and Traffic (founded 1967) have had 14 members of which 7 are deceased. (And in the case of Traffic, the surviving members include 3 guys who didn't join until the 1994 reunion tour. So, from the band's original 1967-74 run, only 4 out of 11 guys are still around.)

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Supertramp

Formed around 1970 so after Genesis.....but all original members alive.....and funny enough my wife went to a Rod Stewart Tribute show last week and the drummer for the band was the original Supertramp drummer (Keith Baker)....so for sure he was still alive last week!!! :)

• Slade, 1966, albeit with band name changes, but that applies to Genesis too (FGTR not attributed to Genesis at the time) - at least 2 of them still active, Jim Lea and Don Powell, together and separately.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!