Recent Purchases

• Looking at the forum dashboard the letters XTC shone out like a beacon, so in I came. I agree Black Sea is one of their very best and also that Big Express is another contender. O&Ls I'm less enthused about as for me it's not as consistent as those others but it still has some great stuff. I have a real soft spot for Mummer as well.

Interesting stuff about the origins of Black Sea's title, not sure I knew that so thanks for sharing. I think they are still legally bound to not speak publicly about what happened with that manager, Ian Reid - "Reid with a silent G" as Andy Partridge once said.

Black Sea remains in my top 10 favourite albums. It might not be their absolute best but it has a special place for me.

I like Mummer too, but while both it and O&L have weak tracks, the good one's on O&L just edge it ahead for me, despite the excessive lows of President Kill and Pink Thing!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• My amazon cart.

The Who Endless Wire (+ a couple live albums from it's corresponding world tour), Hits 50, Live in Hyde Park (2015),

Pentatonix - Vol. 1 (2012) & Top Pop Vol. 1 (2018)

Josh Groban Bridges live Madison Square Garden (At least that one was a show I DID get to see)

King Baby Jim Gaffigan (comedy)

Continuum John Mayer (seeing him in August)

With the Beatles

• Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine

(A rockin' trio from Canada. I had their first four albums back in the day when I was in my teens. This 2nd release of theirs was by far my favourite).

The Lovin' Spoonful - Greatest Hits

(I had a compilation of theirs when I had cassettes, saw this CD at a bargain price in a music store last weekend and thought, 'Hey, long overdue').

EDIT: This arrived yesterday...

Robert Cray - False Accusations

(Similar story: I had his first six albums back in the day, and have slowly been reacquiring those same releases in a CD format, following in the order of my favourites. This is the fourth one I've picked up. Great combination of soulful blues).

• Two albums recently ordered and awaiting their arrival...

Mark Knopfler — Sailing To Philadelphia

(Inspired by conversation in the Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits thread)

Cat Stevens — Teaser And The Firecat

(My 3rd favourite album of Cat's behind Tea For The Tillerman and Mona Bone Jakon. Yet, another album that I have had in my collection for decades on cassette but hadn't gotten around to getting on CD)

• I was fortunate to have been able to see and hear Cat Stevens perform live on the Buddha and the Chocolate Box tour, in Anaheim, Ca. A lovely album it is too. You've inspired me to play his music tomorrow :)

• Can't wait to hear what you think of STP. As for Teaser, it's a wonderful album.

As I was awaiting the arrival of STP, which I now have, I picked up the deluxe edition of Down The Road Wherever.

Off the bat, I can say I like STP and DTRW more than Golden Heart.

But I've also had DTRW on repeat since I got it and have been really enjoying it.

At this moment, I'd say I like that one the best of the three I have, though in fairness I feel I need more time with STP to properly weigh its merits.

EDIT: One month later, STP has really grown on me, especially love the opening track ("What It Is"), some of it very reminiscent of the last Dire Straits album. I'd say it's now my favourite of the three solo albums I have. Will likely explore his solo output a little further.

Edited 2 times, last by Witchwood ().

• I had a Cat Stevens (re)discovery phase as well recently. You can't go wrong with his first six Island albums.The last two of those, Foreigner and Buddha, might take some time to sink in, but both are worth it, IMO.

• I had a Cat Stevens (re)discovery phase as well recently. You can't go wrong with his first six Island albums.The last two of those, Foreigner and Buddha, might take some time to sink in, but both are worth it, IMO.

Never heard the two latter albums though I recall reading praise for the Budha album as something of a return to form. Back in the day I had the first four Island releases with Catch Bull At Four being the most recent.

• I too was lucky enough to see Cat Stevens when he playing in Liverpool many years ago, if I recall right Leon Russell was in his backing band, though I might be wrong. You can't go wrong with any of his albums, they are all superb.

I have just picked up, on Ebay, a job lot of 14 Frank Zappa cs's, always been meaning to listen to more of his stuff, gonna have some interesting listening in the next few weeks.

I also got Soused by Scott Walker and Sunn 0)) which i love, then again I love nearly everything Scott has done.

Also got the new Rammstein cd which is growing on me, i have over the years seen Led Zep, Purple, The Stones, Motorhead, Prince etc over the last 50 years and I have to say that Rammstein's live show is the best I have ever seen.

• I also got Soused by Scott Walker and Sunn 0)) which i love, then again I love nearly everything Scott has done.

I really want to get that, having heard Brando and loved it. There's a band I'd like to see live. Close your eyes and drift in an ocean of noise.

Did you like the "difficult" post-70s albums? I have a major soft spot for them, partly for the sheer uncompromisingness of them.

I posted a tribute in the RIP thread but was disappointed no one else did!

Abandon all reason

• Just picked up Santana's latest, Africa Speaks.

Of the four I now have, I would say this one is my second favourite.

Love the opening track, "5:15 a.m." and "Our Shangri-La."

I saw him play Our Shangri-La. It isn't often I can say that! My favourite track from that album is The Trawlerman's Song.

• I saw him play Our Shangri-La. It isn't often I can say that! My favourite track from that album is The Trawlerman's Song.

It seems mellower than the others I have with not as many of those winding guitar solos that I love, but it makes up for that with some very beautiful melodies.