From Genesis To Revelation

• "The Conqueror" is one of them.

Not sure what you mean by "Going Out," unless it's "Going Out To Get You" (not an FGTR track but a Mayhew-era demo from ARCHIVE 1).

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I think, that FGTR is quite an interesting debut. Magical and innocent, as someone said above. The album really shows the potential of the band. If there had been more time and money for recording and proper production, many of the songs might have come over much better, than they actually do. For me One Day and In The Wilderness are the outstanding tracks from the album.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Official Post

You may check the review on this site for the latest rerelease

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…go-Album-review-s653.html

The album with the alternative mixes is only available digitally, i.e. on iTunes

• "The Conqueror" is one of them.

Not sure what you mean by "Going Out," unless it's "Going Out To Get You" (not an FGTR track but a Mayhew-era demo from ARCHIVE 1).

Yes that's what I meant. I told you, I have a kind of mental blank with that album. I lose track of the tracks, which one was on which release etc. Ah well i got one of them though!

Abandon all reason

• Yes that's what I meant. I told you, I have a kind of mental blank with that album. I lose track of the tracks, which one was on which release etc. Ah well i got one of them though!

We had a discussion in the old forum, it seems to be a unique "quality" of that album that everybody has a hard time to keep memory of its tracks and particularly its song titles. No other Genesis album is hard to keep to remember like this one.

• This and Nursery Cryme are my least favorite Genesis albums, and I can never decide which one I prefer.

What saves From Genesis to Revelation for me are the following three tracks:

"In the Wilderness" - a truly majestic piece, and I know that Tony Banks has said that it's by far his favorite tune on the album.

"The Conqueror" - a cool, melodic hard rock song that sounds a bit like a dry run for "The Knife".

"One Day" - but only for that great chorus. The verses don't do anything for me and good god, the lyrics. Oof.

I suppose I should give "Fireside Song" a semi-nod as well, and I don't mind "The Silent Sun" either. The rest of the album bores me silly.

• Does anyone have a detailed analysis of the FGTR period in terms of when songs where recorded (including available demo versions)? I'm looking to fill the gap between their very first recording and Trespass.

• Does anyone have a detailed analysis of the FGTR period in terms of when songs where recorded (including available demo versions)? I'm looking to fill the gap between their very first recording and Trespass.

You may have this info already, but this is what I have:

The liner notes of the particular release of FGTR I have, written by Chris Welch in 2005, claim that all 13 album tracks were recorded on the same day as well as "A Winter's Tale" and "One-Eyed Hound". Given it also says that the rough mix of "Image Blown Out", as on Archive 1, was intended for FGTR, that was presumably also recorded on the same day. Is it possible "Build Me a Mountain" was also from this session? It seems extraordinary that they should have recorded these 17 songs in one day - between 9am and midnight if you believe the notes. No indication as to the precise date though.

The bonus disc on this edition includes an earlier demo version of "Image Blown Out" as well as the one intended for FGTR - this is the version where there is an extra section which I think was wisely cut. This is placed chronologically on the bonus disc between the first 1967 demos (Patricia/Try a Little Sadness/She is Beautiful) and The Silent Sun single (released Feb 1968 so recorded not long before then?). Archive 1 has the following as Autumn 1967 demos:

“Hidden in the World of Dawn”
    “Sea Bee”
    “The Mystery of the Flannan Isle Lighthouse”
    “Hair on the Arms and Legs”

And I would guess this early "Image Blown Out" demo probably fits in with them somehow?

Archive 1 apparently says "Hey!" was recorded on 13th March 1968, which puts it between the Silent Sun/That's Me single (released Feb 1968?) and the FGTR session.

I don't suppose there's any way to get precise dates for the other demos, but the date for the FGTR session (if it was indeed one date) should be somewhere, right? And maybe The Silent Sun single as well?

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he, or she?

• The liner notes of the particular release of FGTR I have, written by Chris Welch in 2005, claim that all 13 album tracks were recorded on the same day

Which is a questionable claim right off the bat since one of the 13, "Silent Sun," was recorded long before the others.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Was the single release not a different recording to the album version? (don't think I've heard the single)

The "single version" frequently used as an FGTR bonus track (with a title of "The Silent Sun") is identical to the album version (titled simply "Silent Sun"), except that the former is in mono.

• Thank you Meryman. This confirms what I have in my "ultimate Genesis song" spreadsheet.

1. Arent there notes somwhere that say Patricia was an "Easter 1967" demo, while She is Beautiful and Try a Little Sadness were Summer 1967 demos? Makes them seem like they were recorded in different sessions.

2. I'd love to get precise dates for those demos tagged as "Easter 1967", "Summer 1967", "Autumn 1967" and "Early 1968". But i'm happy to at least have those date ranges. Helps with listening in order.

3. are there two additional versions of "Image Blown Out"? I have listed a "rough mix from 1968" and a "demo' version (with no date).

4. Anyone know the actual date for the August 1968 rough mixes? I'm being greedy of course. :)

• as it stands now, here is how i'm ordering all the pre-FGTR demos/recordings. For those songs that an actual date isn't listed, I just picked one out of thin air (to help with sorting).

Song Date
    Patricia (Easter 1967 demos) 4/1/1967
    She Is Beautiful (Summer 1967 demos) 7/1/1967
    Try a Little Sadness (Summer 1967 demos) 7/1/1967
    Hair on the Arms and Legs (Autumn 1967 demos) 10/1/1967
    Hidden in the World of Dawn (Autumn 1967 demos) 10/1/1967
    Sea Bee (Autumn 1967 demos) 10/1/1967
    The Mystery of the Flannan Isle Lighthouse (Autumn 1967 demos) 10/1/1967
    Image Blown Out (rough mix 1968) 1/1/1968
    In the Beginning (early 1968 demo) 1/1/1968
    The Magic of Time (early 1968 demos) 1/1/1968
    Where the Sour Turns to Sweet (early 1968 demos) 1/1/1968
    Image Blown Out (demo) 1/15/1968
    That's Me (single B-side) 2/2/1968
    The Silent Sun (single A-side) 2/2/1968
    Hey! (13 March 1968 demo) 3/13/1968
    A Winter's Tale (single A-side) 5/10/1968
    One-Eyed Hound (single B-side) 5/10/1968
    Build Me a Mountain (Aug 1968 rough mixes) 8/1/1968
    Image Blown Out (Aug 1968 rough mixes) 8/1/1968
    In the Wilderness (August 1968 rough mix without strings) 8/1/1968
    One Day (Aug 1968 rough mixes) 8/1/1968

Am I missing anything?

• 1. Online sources seem to suggest that Archive 1 lists "She is Beautiful" and "Try a Little Sadness" as Summer 67 as opposed to Patricia being Easter, but I don't actually have that box set so cannot verify.

3. All I have come across for "Image Blown Out" is (1) the demo version from late 67/early 68, and (2) the August 68 rough mix (by which time the strange prechorus bits of the song had been axed).

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he, or she?

• The "single version" frequently used as an FGTR bonus track (with a title of "The Silent Sun") is identical to the album version (titled simply "Silent Sun"), except that the former is in mono.

Not quite true, the string arrangement differs. The album version's arrangement is a tiny little less obnoxious.

• Not quite true, the string arrangement differs. The album version's arrangement is a tiny little less obnoxious.

I don't hear any difference. If there is any, it must be too subtle to be meaningful.