Inexplicable Album Titles

• Genesis- Trespass.

Yes, even if all the songs talk about the vanity of ambitions and feelings. :/

In the post directly above yours, I gave the quotation from White Mountain which gives the album its title. Or I presume it does. So if that's the reason for the title, it's not inexplicable in the strictest sense. It's a good title.

• Well I never! Of course. I never linked that line with the album title. 🙄 . I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about things you've only just realised about Genesis music!

If you are being sarcastic, fair enough, but I responded to what seemed a genuine question from you. The only reason I did was because I happened to be playing the CD in the car, and heard the line in the song. I don't know the song that well yet for it to come instantly to mind.

• If you are being sarcastic, fair enough, but I responded to what seemed a genuine question from you. The only reason I did was because I happened to be playing the CD in the car, and heard the line in the song. I don't know the song that well yet for it to come instantly to mind.

NO . I wasn't being sarcastic..it was a genuine question and I was genuinely taken aback that I'd never noticed that at over 45 years of having that album. Sorry if it came over that way. I was just meaning to be light-hearted about it.😔

• Coldplay's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends. Apart from the awfulness it doesn't make sense at all: 'Long Live Life' or Death and All His Friends.

Viva La Vida and Death & All His Friends are both tracks on that album, so it's named after them. Despite its negative-sounding title the song Death & All His Friends has a positive tone to it, with the refrain "I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge, I don't want to follow death and all of his friends" (and has a quite Hacketty-sounding guitar line).

Abandon all reason

• Viva La Vida and Death & All His Friends are both tracks on that album, so it's named after them. Despite its negative-sounding title the song Death & All His Friends has a positive tone to it, with the refrain "I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge, I don't want to follow death and all of his friends" (and has a quite Hacketty-sounding guitar line).

The title as a whole doesn't have a coherent meaning at all. Maybe each part by itself does, but put them both together and it's a complete gibberish. As I said it doesn't make sense at all. 'Long Live Life' (its actual translation from Spanish) has meaning, Death and All His Friends too, even Or Death & All His Friends does have it. But 'Long Live Life' or Death and All His Friends? No way!

• The title as a whole doesn't have a coherent meaning at all. Maybe each part by itself does, but put them both together and it's a complete gibberish.

It isn't gibberish. The thread is inexplicable album titles, not "album titles with no coherent meaning at all" or "album titles that are complete gibberish". It's explicable, ie can be explained, in the way I explained it. Also, putting two apparently opposing things together in a title is fine. Album titles don't have to make perfect sense or only ever contain things that "go together" or are linked. And this one has an or between them. If an album was called Love Or Hate, or Fire Or Water, you wouldn't dismiss those as gibberish.

Abandon all reason

• It isn't gibberish. The thread is inexplicable album titles, not "album titles with no coherent meaning at all" or "album titles that are complete gibberish". It's explicable, ie can be explained, in the way I explained it. Also, putting two apparently opposing things together in a title is fine. Album titles don't have to make perfect sense or only ever contain things that "go together" or are linked. And this one has an or between them. If an album was called Love Or Hate, or Fire Or Water, you wouldn't dismiss those as gibberish.

Long Live Life or Death and All His Friends doesn't make any sense