9. 07 points - satisfactory - (1) 3%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (1) 3%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (2) 6%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - Misunderstanding

Year: 1980
    Album: Duke
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Collins
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 3:13
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford
    Played live: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 2021
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: The first Collins composition for Genesis was immediately released as a single and became the first hit to scratch the Top 10 (#14 at the time). The song was written as part of the Face Value Sessions, but the basic feeling is more of a funky pop song, albeit with a theme of emotional pain. In 2004, Collins even played ‘his song’ with horns during his First Final Farewell Tour in the USA, then Genesis revisited the track briefly in Chicago during their The Last Domino? Tour...

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Assume the chart position is US, as Follow You Follow Me made no 7 in the UK?

8 from me, it's OK, but clearly "Phil solo" stitched onto the band.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The pop songs I tend to enjoy (I'm thinking of Smokey Robinson, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Elton John) have strong or catchy melodies, interesting arrangements or just something that hooks me and reels me in.

Misunderstanding has about as much swing to it as a metronome.

Most of the time when I put on Duke, I will listen through and won't press skip but it is, for me, by far the lowpoint on what is otherwise a very good album.

• It's derided by many fans, certainly on here but while it's not in my top 20 I've never had a problem with it. It's not the perfect pop song, particularly lacking a well-constructed middle but it's a decent pop nugget and I agree the keyboards sound nice. It's well-placed in the album track sequence, following the richness and drama of the preceding songs and giving a light interlude that works effectively.

The live versions were a mixed bag. It showed DS's flair for painting in some colour with his ascending phrases in the "never thought..." segments. But the extended vocal nonsense at the end was pretty dire.

As I've mentioned before, I'll never forget the smart bit of setlist business in 82 when they ran this straight after the full Supper's Ready. You could almost sense the ripple of culture shock running through the crowd.

Abandon all reason

• What first got me into Genesis was hearing "Turn It On Again" on the radio in 1980, but hearing "Misunderstanding" on the radio as well also contributed to that. Both were influential in getting me to check out DUKE, even if the latter didn't end up being one of my favorites from the album.

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

A soldier survived mustard gas in combat, and then pepper spray from the police. He's now a seasoned veteran.

• When I first heard this song, I couldn't get past that it was a (likely inadvertent) ripoff of the much superior Hot Fun in the Summertime. I usually hit Skip as I just find it boring.

• 11 from me. It’s a classy little pop song. Interestingly - and I hadn’t thought much about it until I read this comment

Misunderstanding has about as much swing to it as a metronome.

..when I play along to Duke on my drum kit I always enjoy Misunderstanding because it’s nice and easy and it does swing a little bit on the fills, e.g. just before ‘well I’ve been waiting’, which is classic Phil (no pun intended) - starts simply and has a little flash at the very end. However, I’ve realised that I’m unconsciously trying to swing that even more, and it’s very easy to do - which makes me think he deliberately held it back and kept it simple. I’m sure he’s got it right and not me! Chester also played it straight, whereas he tended to swing things little bit when he could.

I agree with Backdrifter that the live versions were lacking and that added vocal bit seemed to miss the point. Why write a nice simple pop song and the extend it with needless clutter? - that was certainly not classy.

I really like the backing vocals as well.

I generally like my Genesis long and complicated- but if they are going to do short pop songs, this is pretty good.

• It's a great pop song, though it's not normally my cup of tea, I enjoy it for what it is. It also slightly predates their mega-stardom so there's something more charming in it for me than any of the singles from IT for example. 12 as it's not my favorite type of song, which is a bit unfair.

• the live versions were lacking and that added vocal bit seemed to miss the point. Why write a nice simple pop song and the extend it with needless clutter? - that was certainly not classy.

I agree. This is high on the list of Genesis songs that were worse when played live.

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

A soldier survived mustard gas in combat, and then pepper spray from the police. He's now a seasoned veteran.

• 10 from my side

Was actually happy Phil did this on his 204 tour., when I saw him in New York and Milwaukee.

I then I was happy Genesis did NOT do this in 2022, after they tried it in Chicago in 2021

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• It's a good song, I just don't think of it as a Genesis song. It would have worked perfectly on Face Value - and could have ended up there of course - but for me it's too straight down the line for the Genesis moniker. Definitely a good pop song though. I also agree that the vocal gymnastics of the live version left a bit to be desired. The studio version is best.

• It's a good song, I just don't think of it as a Genesis song. It would have worked perfectly on Face Value - and could have ended up there of course - but for me it's too straight down the line for the Genesis moniker. Definitely a good pop song though. I also agree that the vocal gymnastics of the live version left a bit to be desired. The studio version is best.

Misunderstanding wouldn't have worked on Face Value in my opinion. Despite the lyrics, the song is too upbeat and it comes across as a fictional story, whereas the vast majority of FV deals with Phil's personal experiences. He would have had to slow it down & just do it with the piano,

• Good song, and one of the first Genesis songs I remember hearing on the radio.

Phil has noted he was inspired by Toto's "Hold the Line" and that song's triplet pulse. The verse's ascending chord progression is also strikingly similar to Led Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain" - pretty much the same chords & bassline, but different rhythm. I often wondered if Phil may have been influenced by Zep on this one, but if I have the timelines right, Genesis started recording Duke before the release of "In Through the Out Door". It's also noted that Phil had already written "Misunderstanding" and "Please Don't Ask" before the group got together for writing & recording in the fall of 1979, so I guess it's just a very interesting synchronicity. Also a "curious feeling" that Polar Studios was where both ITtOD and Duke were recorded!