The Guitar and Genesis

• :D:D:D Keep telling yourself that, sweet-chips, and eventually you might convince yourself it's true. But until you can tell the difference between Firth of Fifth, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed and The Musical Box, you'll still be a confused, bitter, pitiful little man.

Why do you do that? You are able to write interesting, informing and funny posts, And then you show up and kick some one in the balls, who is a highly appreciated person with a reasonable issue. I just don`t understand it. Do you wish to get banned from this forum or what?

I meant to report this post to the moderators but it had already been done...

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• :D:D:D Keep telling yourself that, sweet-chips, and eventually you might convince yourself it's true. But until you can tell the difference between Firth of Fifth, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed and The Musical Box, you'll still be a confused, bitter, pitiful little man.

Jeez, it took you a long time to come up with that! Was it really worth the effort? Sadly, no. Still, it's another step towards the exit door. ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Why do you do that? You are able to write interesting, informing and funny posts, And then you show up and kick some one in the balls, who is a highly appreciated person with a reasonable issue. I just don`t understand it. Do you wish to get banned from this forum or what?

I meant to report this post to the moderators but it had already been done...

And not by me, though I would have. And he didn't reach the balls, he ain't big enough!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

I can't believe you've responded so aggressively. In your introductory post, you claim to be a Buddhist. What kind of Buddhism do you practice in Liverpool? It's unlike anything I've ever come across in S.E. Asia.

• Why is this thread revolving around one off-topic comment? The old forum had an unwritten rule: morons get ignored.

I think what happened is quite egregious. People should feel free to respond accordingly and they see fit imo. Personally, I took other measures and I don't do it publicly but I cannot blame people who do.

Edited 2 times, last by Fabrizio ().

• So anyway, that Mick Barnard, eh?

i had heard that genesis played with no lead guitar during that transition when ant phillips was gone and steve hadn't joined the band yet. tony supposedly tried to replace the guitar with distorted keyboard sounds. a bit like the band keane used to do in their early works.

anyway, i'm glad to know about a touring genesis member i hadn't heard of. you learn something new everyday. ;)

• we don't know of any recordings of him with the band?

My understanding is that there are no known recordings of Mick Barnard with Genesis. If there were any, I'd be interested in hearing them just for historical interest.

Of course, his brief tenure, and the brief "no guitar" phase, are about the only phases of Genesis not represented by any recordings. Not too bad, really.

(Compare that to Renaissance, who had some 8 unrecorded lineups between 1970 & 1973.)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• i had heard that genesis played with no lead guitar during that transition when ant phillips was gone and steve hadn't joined the band yet. tony supposedly tried to replace the guitar with distorted keyboard sounds. a bit like the band keane used to do in their early works.

anyway, i'm glad to know about a touring genesis member i hadn't heard of. you learn something new everyday. ;)

I think I'd read he's still around and still working as a musician. It must be weird looking at the globally successful multi-million album selling band and thinking, I helped them out for a few months about 47 years ago.

For some reason I can't believe there isn't a single recording of him with them. But maybe that disbelief is simply the result of living in this age where it feels easy to find recordings of pretty much anything, and where so much gets recorded.

Abandon all reason

• I am quite a fan of Mick Rogers. I love both his vocals and guitar skills. He probably would have been a good replacement for Peter Gabriel in terms of vocals but I really wonder, how his blues-orientated guitar playing would have matched with Mike`s or even Steve`s style.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• I am quite a fan of Mick Rogers. I love both his vocals and guitar skills. He probably would have been a good replacement for Peter Gabriel in terms of vocals but I really wonder, how his blues-orientated guitar playing would have matched with Mike`s or even Steve`s style.

Hmmm... well MM'sEB were regarded as quite proggy in some ways and some of his guitaring was suited to that. I can imagine him fitting in vocally too. The question is, how would it have gone down to have a third guitarist in the band and, if accepted by the others, what directions could it have taken them in? Rogers did write or co-write some of the EB stuff so might have expected to contribute there. (I remember reading that Nick Lowe sent in an audition tape, but don't know if he actually got auditioned, I don't think so. A guitarist as well, of course).

I suppose that at one point there were to some extent three guitarists when you consider Banks would sometimes join in on acoustic. The only time I ever witnessed that at a gig was Supper's Ready in 1982. It was nice seeing footage of the CAS tour with him doing that again.

Abandon all reason