2007 setlist

• i always found the setlist for the reunion tour a bit too predictable, with few surprises. except for ripples, it looks like a summary of the live albums 'seconds out', 'three sides live' and 'the way we walk'. i know that it was a farewell tour and they made sure to play the songs that the audience wanted to listen, but still...

funnily, los endos wasn't even the main setlist closer. i mean, los endos is a pluralized and "spanishized" form of the end, but after los endos nothing ended actually, the continued with tonight tonight tonight and invisible touch. ;)

Edited once, last by chema ().

• My take on the 07 setlist was that it did the best it could, given the task in hand. It was best summed up by having the Cage medley immediately followed by Hold On My Heart - exit loads of beardy old rock heads in ill-fitting tour t-shirts who'd been very contented moments earlier. Following HOMH I actually heard women saying to each other "Ah, that was lovely". THAT'S what that setlist had to achieve.

I nevertheless agree there was an element of frustration there weren't some surprises in the set other than Ripples. The reappearance of Duke's Travels was a little unexpected. Also I too was surprised Los Endos wasn't the end of the main set, but I kind of liked that.

I found it touching they finished with Carpet Crawlers and PC introduced it by saying it was something special that they felt was kind of what Genesis was all about. Some fans thought it wasn't a good closer and was too low-key, but I thought it was perfect.

Abandon all reason

• Can totally echo what was said above. I felt they played everything they had to play and a little bit more. The little bit more being Ripples and probably Duke's Travels/End. Felt Hold on My Heart was a little out of place, but also don't really like this song, so it's more probably more bias than anything. Los Endos should have been the closing number, but that would leave a large group of fans bewildered-particularly those who were there to hear the numbers that followed...

• The one thing I thought was a shame was that Abacab, one of their most significant albums, was not represented. The story I've always heard was that they tried out the title track - the obvious choice - but Collins decided he couldn't get behind the lyrics, and it was dropped. It was always the one track off the album that worked much better live, pity it didn't make it. I've always liked the abstraction of its lyrics.

Abandon all reason

• I loved the 2007 set list. It was everything I could have hoped for as a fan. Of course, not every album could be represented but the songs they went out with were the songs that had proven to be the most road-worthy over the years.

It never bothered me that they didn't finish with Los Endos. It didn't enter my mind that they would; they've never finished a show with Los Endos! Closing the set with The Carpet Crawlers was very moving. The Lamb has been represented on every tour they've done so to close the show with a song from the high water-mark of their time as the classic five-man lineup seemed most appropriate and a very mellow way in which to bring the Genesis story to a respectful close.

• I was pretty pleased with the setlist, knowing they had to think about fans from all eras, with some greater emphasis on their more popular material since the majority of people attending would know this material and not the older stuff. Ripples was lovely. It was nice to hear a bit more of Duke's Travels and Duke's End. If I could have made the call, I would have ditched the In the Cage sequence, which they have played for many tours, and replaced it with all of Cinema Show (which they tantalizingly contemplated).

• (which they tantalizingly contemplated)

Yes, there's a lovely bit where they put the CD on during rehearsals and when it reaches the highest point in the vocals Phil says "Okaaaay". Isn't that also the moment where Mike asks if they have a twelve string and one of the roadies says "Yes" to which Mike says "Give it to Daryl!"

• Yes, there's a lovely bit where they put the CD on during rehearsals and when it reaches the highest point in the vocals Phil says "Okaaaay". Isn't that also the moment where Mike asks if they have a twelve string and one of the roadies says "Yes" to which Mike says "Give it to Daryl!"

That sounds correct. Mike has admitted he can't remember some of his alternative tunings on 12 string. Daryl would probably be able to figure them out more easily. The tuning on Cinema Show is particularly interesting as some of the pairs of strings are not tuned based on octaves but instead on fifths or sixths.

• The one thing I thought was a shame was that Abacab, one of their most significant albums, was not represented. The story I've always heard was that they tried out the title track - the obvious choice - but Collins decided he couldn't get behind the lyrics, and it was dropped. It was always the one track off the album that worked much better live, pity it didn't make it. I've always liked the abstraction of its lyrics.

if abacab had been played, i wonder where in the setlist they would have placed it. between land of confusion and in the cage? between ripples and throwing it all away? as an encore? ...

• Both your first suggestions would have worked, I reckon. Another possibility would be between the opening Duke suite and No Son. As an encore I'm not so sure, but if so, first one.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Well, I thought the setlist was pretty brave considering the fact that they played stadiums in Europe. Quite a few long tracks in it.

On the other hand, there were some things where I thought they could've done better. Blood On The Rooftops instead of Hold On my Heart, Los Endos as a REAL finale, a different thing than the TTT/IT "medley" and of course a complete old track. We know they tried Cinema Show and I still wonder why they didn't try to find a way around the high vocals.

Thinking about it, it could've been like that

Duke's Intro

Turn It On Again

No Son Of Mine

Land Of Confusion

In The Cage / In That Quiet Earth / Afterglow

Throwing It All Away

Ripples

Home By The Sea

Blood On The Rooftops

The Cinema Show

Follow You Follow Me

Firth Of Fifth

I Know What I Like

Domino

I Can't Dance

Carpet Crawlers

Tonight Tonight Tonight

Drum Duet

Los Endos

• Home by the Sea or Domino should have been One for the Vine

Throwing it all away should have been Blood on the Rooftops

And... Los endos should have been played faster! It was really too slow!

• I agree about Los Endos being too slow.

While I would have loved many older songs, I accept that they had to play mainly the songs that made them famous. If they didn't, they wouldn't have been able to fill stadiums. And if they didn't fill stadiums, the tour might not have been as financially viable. Remember how the North American part of the CAS tour ended up being cancelled because of poor sales.

• Home by the Sea or Domino should have been One for the Vine

Throwing it all away should have been Blood on the Rooftops

And... Los endos should have been played faster! It was really too slow!

No way BOTR. I love it, it pretty well singlehandedly rescues W&W for me, but it wouldn't have worked in that show and I don't think Stuermer would've been suited to it. TIAA is a terrific song and was well suited to that set. I'm not keen on Vine but always thought it worked a zillion times better live so wouldn't have minded it. But I totally get why they went with the other ones mentioned.

Abandon all reason

• Totally from a selfish standpoint I would've loved if they swapped out the In The Cage Medley for a similar classic one or Suppers Ready on shows here where they did multiple nights at the same venue, eg Philly, Chicago, LA.

Philly would've been perfect and not just because those are the ones I went to but they did three nights there and we had a lot of returning fans there each night.

I know they've never really done anything like that mid tour and once their set list was set, they kept to it and it's not really a realistic thing to wish for but it would've been great to see them swap out one classic medley for another a few times.

• I know they've never really done anything like that mid tour and once their set list was set, they kept to it and it's not really a realistic thing to wish for but it would've been great to see them swap out one classic medley for another a few times.

I always wished they'd have been more fluid with their set lists. There would be an occasional change during a tour but it was very rare. Some bands I'll go see more than once on a tour and it's enlivened by significant set changes from night to night.

With this particular show as I said earlier my main wish was that they'd at least done Abacab. It was such a significant album and a real shame it was completely omitted from this wrap-up tour.

Abandon all reason

• I made my own playlist which is what I would have played if the band let me decide the set list (hahaha). It features an even spread throughout the whole the career and at least one song from every album that featured Phil. I also tried to keep it realistic, except from some cases like Phil not wanting to sing Abacab. I think it came out pretty well.

1.     Land of Confusion

2.     Abacab

3.     The Carpet Crawlers

4.     The Musical Box [Closing]

5.     Behind the Lines

6.     Duchess

7.     No Son of Mine

8.     Firth of Fifth

9.     Hold on My Heart

10.  Home by the Sea

11.  Second Home by the Sea

12.  Follow You Follow Me

13.  I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

14.  Ripples…

15.  Mama

16.  Domino

17.  The Cinema Show

18.  Afterglow

19.  Turn it on Again

20.  Invisible Touch

21.  Dance on a Volcano

22.  Los Endos

23.  I Can’t Dance

24.  The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

25.  Watcher of the Skies [Closing]

• Good stuff but they'd have been exhausted! About 2 hrs 45 mins worth of gig there.

Abandon all reason

• I always wished they'd have been more fluid with their set lists. There would be an occasional change during a tour but it was very rare. Some bands I'll go see more than once on a tour and it's enlivened by significant set changes from night to night.

I think with a show of the size that Genesis used to put on, they were slaves to the light show. Goodness knows it was hard enough to get the lights in synch with the music in the first place on that tour, as the behind the scenes documentary shows. They had the same problem on the Dance tour; they couldn't change the set around because it would've meant coming up with a whole new set of lighting cues.

It strikes me that of all them, Phil is the one who is more open to adding and removing songs as tours progress. Changes occured throughout his But Seriously, Both Sides and Dance Into The Light tours and it was Phil who instigated the inclusion of The Carpet Crawlers when they played Southampton on the Dance tour.