2007 setlist

• Since this tour was my first (and as of yet only) opportunity to have seen them I couldn't complain about the setlist. It brought back some of the classic stuff they got away from on the WCD tour (ITC medley and Los Endos) and even an older surprising one in Ripples. The only thing I remember being disappointed about was I Can't Dance starting the encore set. But even that I was ultimately fine with. The start with BTL into Dukes End and then the lower key TIOA I thought was brilliant and an emotional moment for me to finally see them play live. Starting with BTL was perfect for me and I will always remember the experience of that first note of the song.

Leads me to a thought though: With many of the songs tuned down in a different key for Phil's voice, did anyone else enjoy any of the songs more that way? I have to say I quite like the lower key of IKWIL, something about it feels better than the original, at least in that setting. In a weird way it seemed to fit the nostalgia trip with the videos behind the band in that key.

• Leads me to a thought though: With many of the songs tuned down in a different key for Phil's voice, did anyone else enjoy any of the songs more that way? I have to say I quite like the lower key of IKWIL, something about it feels better than the original, at least in that setting. In a weird way it seemed to fit the nostalgia trip with the videos behind the band in that key.

I have perfect pitch, so changing the key alters how the song sounds to me significantly. It's hard to explain, but each key has a particular "character" and associations. It's like changing the colour of a room - it all feels very different.

Sometimes this worked. For me Dm is a more brooding and solemn key than Em, so that enhanced Mama to some extent (and also helped Phil hit the top notes better). D is sunnier, happier, less pastoral than E. So Ripples seemed a little less poignant. But it also allowed Phil to sing it with a gentleness and flow that would not have been possible in the higher key, so I went with it. Dbm is definitely darker than Ebm, so that worked for In the Cage. D worked best for Invisible Touch, with that sunny sound providing interesting juxtaposition with the bitter lyrics.

The key change worked less well for me with TIOA - B is a brighter, sharper key than A, so the song seemed to have less edge. And IKWIL seemed to lose a bit of pep going from A to G.

On a tangent, the change that bugged me the most was Tony taking the main Cinema Show melody down an octave. That changed a soaring high melody into something muddling through the middle.

• On a tangent, the change that bugged me the most was Tony taking the main Cinema Show melody down an octave. That changed a soaring high melody into something muddling through the middle.

Very interesting - I really liked that change. As soon as they launched into that bit at Old Trafford, I instantly clicked with it. Somehow it worked better, to my ears.

Abandon all reason

• Well, not really as the letters refer to sections of the song, not the keys. A clever joke nonetheless. ;)

On top of which, didn't they say the sequence suggested by ABACAB was quickly rearranged during rehearsals? So the finished song bore no resemblance to it anyway!

On a tangent - isn't that pretty much the structure lots of songs follow? Verse, chorus, verse, middle, verse, chorus. Actually, no it isn't. It's usually verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle bit, chorus chorus chorus. ABABCBBB - "doesn't really care...."

Abandon all reason

• On top of which, didn't they say the sequence suggested by ABACAB was quickly rearranged during rehearsals? So the finished song bore no resemblance to it anyway!

On a tangent - isn't that pretty much the structure lots of songs follow? Verse, chorus, verse, middle, verse, chorus. Actually, no it isn't. It's usually verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle bit, chorus chorus chorus. ABABCBBB - "doesn't really care...."

If we ignore the intro and the outro jam, then the structure is ABABCAB, so yes, that is a common structure for many songs.

• Very interesting! I found In The Cage to work in the new lower key, though it totally changed the feel to a much darker mood. Must have been a pain for Tony to relearn the middle solo! Mama also worked, but I missed the higher key on the later verse after the drums come in. Of course at that point this would have been quite a stretch for Phil's vocal cords nightly.

In regards to Cinema Show, it did feel a bit less of a climatic musical moment on the second run of the theme. Phil had also started on the ride cymbal (which I have never understood for this tour's version) rather than hi-hats which took away from the more explosive change on the second run.

• I must admit that I never really realized that the keys were changed that much. Of course it's a new live version but I am not a musician, just a listener and so I just enjoyed the performance by those "older" men.

So I will check again to see if I can hear the big difference now (like saying 'oh, that sounds less appealing than before' etc)

I wonder what they will have to do for the 2021 shows then ...

... make tomorrow today!

• I was at the 9/25/07 MSG show this tour, and it's still one of the best live experiences of my life.

My dad surprised me with front row seats after telling me all week we had the worst seats possible, so that right there was a bonus. The band was on that night. I wasn't really familiar with the PG era at that time so it was the first time I got to experience "Ripples...," "In the Cage," "Firth of Fifth," etc. I also had never seen Phil do the tambourine dance before during "I Know What I Like," and remember thinking how stupefyingly energetic he was; you couldn't tell that this tour was the start of his back and neck problems at the time.

My chubby 16 year old face was shown smiling and singing along on the jumbotron during "Throwing It All Away," a highlight of any concert I've ever been too.

I get people's disappointment with the tour in retrospect, but for me it still stands out as a really solid reunion for the band. I thought they played as well as they could and the set had a nice flow to it that gave decent representation of their history.

• The 2007 set list was quite astonishing, keeping in mind they played in stadiums and large arenas. Invisible touch probably got a little too much attention, but overall it was a great set list for the sort off “very last time” shows of the trio formation.

Well…

• Official Post

The 2007 set list was quite astonishing, keeping in mind they played in stadiums and large arenas. Invisible touch probably got a little too much attention, but overall it was a great set list for the sort off “very last time” shows of the trio formation.

Well…

similar feelings here. Would have loved to hear Abacab or something very surporising instead of Throwing it all away or Invisible touch

• Had mixed feelings about the 2007 setlist but this is just my thing. I so wanted Blood on the rooftops to be played and was tired of No son of mine and plenty of IT tracks. In the end they did a big tour in stadiums etc so that had to be played.
    but still I have this feeling they missed a chance to do special stuff. Don’t think they will now

... make tomorrow today!