Phil: I’m Open to Genesis Reunion With Son on Drums -- Rolling Stone article

• listening to 'calling all stations', i have the intuition that tony and mike tried to reeinvent genesis and give it a "grunge" feel. and that's why the started from scratch, with new musicians for the album recording and the tour.

• listening to 'calling all stations', i have the intuition that tony and mike tried to reeinvent genesis and give it a "grunge" feel. and that's why the started from scratch, with new musicians for the album recording and the tour.

Certainly the opening track is pretty heavy but it's by no means indicative of the rest of the album. The direction that Mike had announced they were going in was heavy and dark. But the album doesn't really deliver on that promise, with ballads and suchlike. I think the most promising new member was Nir Z while the guitarist they used on the tour was largely forgettable in my opinion.

What you say is completely plausible, I think Mike's guitar sound is partially responsible for that, I remember that was the first thing the stuck out for me, in terms of sound. I sort of like the album but I'm under the impression Tony wasn't exactly in his best of forms on it. I like as usual his sound, chords progression, the melodies he builds upon them and there are some good moments but he is not as strong as on other albums. We don't get to blame Ray either, the song were mostly written when he came in, vocal lines included.

• We don't get to blame Ray either, the song were mostly written when he came in, vocal lines included.

It was ever thus. We Can't Dance was the only Genesis album where the vocalist wrote all the own vocal lines, not just the vocal lines for the lyrics they wrote.

As for the guitar sound, I think it was far too clean to ever be compared to grunge. And I don't know if it's the remix, but the music seems much more layered than I ever before realised. I actually think that both Mike and Tony tried their very best with the arrangements and some of their best musical moments can be found on Calling All Stations.

• It was ever thus. We Can't Dance was the only Genesis album where the vocalist wrote all the own vocal lines, not just the vocal lines for the lyrics they wrote.

As for the guitar sound, I think it was far too clean to ever be compared to grunge. And I don't know if it's the remix, but the music seems much more layered than I ever before realised. I actually think that both Mike and Tony tried their very best with the arrangements and some of their best musical moments can be found on Calling All Stations.

It was a mix of both, depending on the songs. Sometimes it was Phil singing gibberish on whatever Mike and in particular Tony threw at him in terms of chords or melodies and then they would see what stood out or start digging for gold listening to the session. Form that vocal lines developed and then lyrics. Sometimes, again Tony in particular, would come in with the whole thing ready, lyrics and all like with Home by The Sea. As for the guitar sound on CAS, obviously we can't ask a Grunge sound for Mike, as you point out his playing is far too clean for that but it is a bit reminiscent and for my money I truly like what Mike did on the record.

• It was a mix of both, depending on the songs. Sometimes it was Phil singing gibberish on whatever Mike and in particular Tony threw at him in terms of chords or melodies and then they would see what stood out or start digging for gold listening to the session. Form that vocal lines developed and then lyrics. Sometimes, again Tony in particular, would come in with the whole thing ready, lyrics and all like with Home by The Sea. As for the guitar sound on CAS, obviously we can't ask a Grunge sound for Mike, as you point out his playing is far too clean for that but it is a bit reminiscent and for my money I truly like what Mike did on the record.

According to Phil, in an interview with the late Geoff Parkyn for the Genesis fanclub magazine, We Can't Dance was the first album for which he had written the vocal lines for all the songs, not just the ones he wrote. Mike and Tony wrote vocal lines that were, on occasion, notoriously difficult to sing (Squonk and Watcher Of The Skies come immediately to mind). Home By The Sea is an interesting one because it was Phil who came up with the line "home by the sea" during rehearsals for the Mama album. The line inspired Tony to write the classic lyric which we all know and love.

Oh, and I like what Mike did on CAS too! As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I love the album now :thumbup:

• We've strayed on to the subject of CAS which has its own thread but it's always a topic I'm happy to indulge wherever it pops up.

I said in that thread that CAS feels to me like a bridge to an album that of course never got made. I wish they'd stepped back and had a think, let the line-up settle in, and built on that album. There were the makings of a sparser, darker sound that could've been interesting had it been given time to develop.

I too get that Banks and Rutherford chose to make a fresh re-start so not involve Stuermer and Thompson, who had such an intrinsic connection and with Stuermer continuing to tour with Collins; I also heard that Paul Carrack knocked on the door but his Mechanics history made him too close a connection.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I also heard that Paul Carrack knocked on the door but his Mechanics history made him too close a connection.

I am glad they didn't go that way. Excellent singer and I truly love his voice but imo not a good fit for Genesis. I was quite OK with Ray until I heard that it came down to him and David Longdon. Listening to Big Big Train I think, David would have been just perfect.

• According to Phil, in an interview with the late Geoff Parkyn for the Genesis fanclub magazine, We Can't Dance was the first album for which he had written the vocal lines for all the songs, not just the ones he wrote. Mike and Tony wrote vocal lines that were, on occasion, notoriously difficult to sing (Squonk and Watcher Of The Skies come immediately to mind). Home By The Sea is an interesting one because it was Phil who came up with the line "home by the sea" during rehearsals for the Mama album. The line inspired Tony to write the classic lyric which we all know and love.

Oh, and I like what Mike did on CAS too! As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I love the album now :thumbup:

Hard to draw an exact line when things are so collaborative and dynamic but I believe, despite the fact, that Phil did come up with Home by Sea line that it is pretty much Tony's baby. Surprising, considering the similarity to Silent Running.

• I understand all the reluctance of "re-forming" the band, but I must say that I think it's a shame that nothing will be done for the band's 50th anniversary. I saw the Yes 50th anniversary tour and I really enjoyed it, even if there are relatively new faces onboard. I would love to see Genesis do something similar, maybe with rotating singers/guitarists, to take us through their history one last time.

On the other hand, since they essentially dissolved in 1998, is it even possible to celebrate a 50th "anniversary"? That implies being together or at least active for 50 years! ;)

• Official Post

Not sure they ever dissolved officially ;)

Speaking of anniversaries, they made it clear they don’t bother with dates. Speaking of dates - which one would it be?

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I've been wondering and marveling about the fact that I have absolutely no appetite for this and I know I'm the overwhelming minority here. I've been trying to figure out why that is and the next best hypothesis I can come up with, is that I don't think anything they could do would be remotely as good as they actually were. Again, I'm not sure that's the real reason but it might be. Sure, I'm saddened the band is no more but let's face it: it's been a while now and I had time to get used to that but no, it wouldn't thrill me as much as having time, being in the mood and listening to one of their fantastic albums and simply let those memories and feelings come back to me.

Their music has given a lot and have been very important to me and I guess I still have that.

No criticism obviously towards those who would like to see band members' sons or cousins playing instruments, or listen to songs being a bit mortified by two-tones lower keys, I can't understand that either though, nor am I able to guess why but no, it simply isn't for me. Does anyone feel the same and why?

• I've been wondering and marveling about the fact that I have absolutely no appetite for this and I know I'm the overwhelming minority here. I've been trying to figure out why that is and the next best hypothesis I can come up with, is that I don't think anything they could do would be remotely as good as they actually were. Again, I'm not sure that's the real reason but it might be. Sure, I'm saddened the band is no more but let's face it: it's been a while now and I had time to get used to that but no, it wouldn't thrill me as much as having time, being in the mood and listening to one of their fantastic albums and simply let those memories and feelings come back to me.

Their music has given a lot and have been very important to me and I guess I still have that.

No criticism obviously towards those who would like to see band members' sons or cousins playing instruments, or listen to songs being a bit mortified by two-tones lower keys, I can't understand that either though, nor am I able to guess why but no, it simply isn't for me. Does anyone feel the same and why?

It's quite obvious everybody has different excpectations. Since it is highly unlilely anything will ever happen again, it's also a strante discussion.

Let's imagine they decide to do something together again. They are older men now - so why do we always compare to times when they were younger? It doesn't make sense and it's also some kind of unfair. If there was a reunion of any form in the foreseeable future, I would surely go. If only to see them on stage together again. I don't expect them to run around on stage like when they were 30.

• It's quite obvious everybody has different excpectations. Since it is highly unlilely anything will ever happen again, it's also a strante discussion.

Let's imagine they decide to do something together again. They are older men now - so why do we always compare to times when they were younger? It doesn't make sense and it's also some kind of unfair. If there was a reunion of any form in the foreseeable future, I would surely go. If only to see them on stage together again. I don't expect them to run around on stage like when they were 30.

It IS a futile discussion considering it won't happen but that's one of the reasons why I am always surprised to see ho many fans don't come to terms with that.

The question of why comparing is a valid one: I for one, while not suggesting others should do the same, can't avoid doing it. I hold those songs dear.

When you go to a tribute band's gig , comparisons are unavoidable. How a song is delivered and performed has a massive relevance. I understand we are all inclined to cut our heroes some slack, they are not a tribute band, they are the real thing and there is a nostalgia element no tribute band can ever hope to satisfy but it doesn't diminish the importance of the performance. When you hear McCartney singing Beatles songs these days, comparisons are unavoidable. Genesis, at least for me, are not exempt from that but as I said, nothing against those who would enjoy it. I just don't get it, as well as I don't get while I can't.

• i don't think they did, but the wikipedia article for genesis refers to them in past: "genesis were an english band...".

Yes, that's a problem for encyclopedists when the band in question never dissolved and always said "never say never" and so on, while being apparently inactive for years.

There have been discussions about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…)/Archive_3#Status_active???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…chive_3#2006-2007_Reunion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…/Archive_3#Active_or_not_?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…#Disestablishment_in_2012?

As far as I have gathered there is now a consensus on Wikipedia regarding old bands that are inactive to the extent that renewed activity is regarded as a temporary reunion. But we should always listen to the band members themselves, however much kremlinology we need.

• Wikipedia is not always as accurate as it could be.

The band never officially called it a day. As long as they say never say never, there is a band. Although they don't do anything.

• I'm 100% behind Nic on drums, especially since Phil says this is the only way he will do it.

I've never understood the logistical problems some people can't seem to work out. You just bring out the appropriate people for the appropriate numbers at the appropriate time, like Steve does with his current show.