Phil: I’m Open to Genesis Reunion With Son on Drums -- Rolling Stone article

• Here's the Rolling Stone article dated August 15, 2018

Quote:

Collins spoke to Banks and Rutherford when they saw his solo show in London last summer. “They both were raving about Nic,” says Collins. “Mike made the appropriate comment of, ‘He just gets it. He just gets what is needed and what is required and why you’re doing this for that song.’ I thought that was a wonderful thing to say. He was 16 at that point. I think that, yeah, if we did anything I think it would have to be with Nic on drums because I don’t think I’m capable of it. I think their opinion of Nic is high enough for them to take him onboard as part of the band.”

... Probably won't happen, but never say never huh?

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'd rather stick to my memories of a great, powerful and healthy band than having to witness the downfall of aging rockers (and in one case an handicapped musician) trying to take back the stage with a young teenager, as talented and skilled he may be. Very, very bad idea.

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'd rather stick to my memories of a great, powerful and healthy band than having to witness the downfall of aging rockers (and in one case an handicapped musician) trying to take back the stage with a young teenager, as talented and skilled he may be. Very, very bad idea.

Ridiculous comment. Nic is carrying the weight of Phil's show on his shoulders alongside some very seasoned and well-respected musicians. You think that's easy? It would be great to see Nic playing alongside the others in Genesis. It's no different to when Oliver Wakeman played with Yes for a period.

Oh, and leave your prejudice about "handicapped" musicians at the door because such comments are way out of order.

Handicapped musicians comment aside, I'm with you. As George said: All things must pass and I for one never enjoyed this kind of things, perhaps with the only exception of Bonham playing with Led Zeppelin. I hope Nicholas has a brilliant career, he seems to deserve it and I think it would be extremely important for him to do something unrelated to his father but as far as I am concerned I have no appetite for this and I truly miss the point.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• Ha! I don't hate the idea but I don't think it's going to happen. I think Phil's comments are great though. “I wouldn’t say there isn’t not a possibility,” "I did mention to Tony very quietly if we did anything again it would be with Nic on drums. He kind of didn’t say no. But I’m not sure if he heard me or not.” ^^^^^^

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he, or she?

• Ha! I don't hate the idea but I don't think it's going to happen. I think Phil's comments are great though. “I wouldn’t say there isn’t not a possibility,” "I did mention to Tony very quietly if we did anything again it would be with Nic on drums. He kind of didn’t say no. But I’m not sure if he heard me or not.” ^^^^^^

:D:D:D

• Nic on drums is an excellent idea! I have watched videos on Youtube of Phil's current tour and I'm amazed of Nic's performance. As long as the inspiration and the emotion is there I support every Genesis project. Nic will simply be the fifth session/live drummer since Phil took over the vocals. No big deal. However, no matter how good Nic is, I will miss Chester, but he seems to be out of the picture for obscure reasons.

• I agree that the drummer wouldn't be an issue. They had them before, they would simply get another one. Now, who's singing? Phil's voice can hardly cope with his own material and Genesis' is far more demanding.

• Phil's voice can hardly cope with his own material and Genesis' is far more demanding.

That's sadly true. But they played most of their hits and important songs in 2007 and they don't have to do the exact same thing again. That means they could do a completely different project: play an unplugged show with selected songs, or (my dream) record an album with newly written songs.

• That's sadly true. But they played most of their hits and important songs in 2007 and they don't have to do the exact same thing again. That means they could do a completely different project: play an unplugged show with selected songs, or (my dream) record an album with newly written songs

Phil struggled considerably with several songs whose keys were lowered a bit too much for my taste back in 2007 and as we all know his voice hasn't gotten any better. I love the fact that he was out there touring, he went through some really rough times with the divorce, drinking and health issues and I am happy he is doing something he loves and with his son beside him on top. I not only have an immense respect for Phil the musician, I am thankful for all he has given me for so many years, I also love the guy. I think he is a fairly decent bloke and he carried himself very well, that said and considering that I don't care for over 60-70% of his solo output, his voice is gone. A sad fact but a fact nonetheless. I think it would be great if HE would release a solo album and this is totally selfless of me, as I wouldn't probably be interested but a Genesis album? I don't know, I really don't like his voice anymore, power issues aside, that nasal tone he developed grates me a bit. I really prefer to wallow in nostalgia and remembering for the singer he was.

• I didn’t go see Genesis in 2007 and I don’t have a hankering to go see them now.

But I also like having the option of changing my mind.

Maybe if they went on tour, there’d be something in the setlist or the manner in which they’re performing the songs that would surprise me or pique my interest.

I would never wish an artist stop performing, recording or touring - even if I feel their abilities have diminished.

If they wanted to tour, I might not go see them, but I would certainly cheer them on from afar.

And it wouldn't rob me of any joy I have listening to their music or my memories of seeing them years ago.

• Well said - I agree with the bit I quoted (although I did see 4 shows in 2007 ;) ).

It's not my top priority for any given tour to happen; however, I would certainly be intrigued if they decided to go through with it.

I am a bit amazed the ways the stars seem to be aligning over the idea of such a possibility. It was always the bog-standard "never say never" comment whenever the topic was addressed for years and years; now, it seems like there is interest among the principals in actually doing it, or at least exploring the possibility that everything could come together. I know they wouldn't commit to doing a tour unless they were confident that it sounded valid (as they define validity, which may or may not be the same as many fans/critics might define it).

My intuition tells me I would probably go if it happened.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Maybe if they went on tour, there’d be something in the setlist or the manner in which they’re performing the songs that would surprise me or pique my interest.

I too like that idea but it would require a right-angled turn by them. Apart from some visual aspects, they were a relatively unadventurous live act with rigid and generally unsurprising setlists. I can't see them suddenly embracing a new or significantly different way of performing or doing some kind of radical setlist.

Abandon all reason

• It was always the bog-standard "never say never" comment whenever the topic was addressed for years and years; now, it seems like there is interest among the principals in actually doing it, or at least exploring the possibility that everything could come together.

Really - the others are expressing interest? I hadn't heard that.

Abandon all reason

• Really - the others are expressing interest? I hadn't heard that.

Peter has, so he proposed a meeting in Kuala Lumpur to decide whether they are going to do it or not. He said he's be up to it but only after the release of his next studio album and subsequent tour. He dangled the idea of playing the entire Lamb album but no instruments, only percussions and vocals. Tony was understandably thrilled.

• Peter has, so he proposed a meeting in Kuala Lumpur to decide whether they are going to do it or not. He said he's be up to it but only after the release of his next studio album and subsequent tour. He dangled the idea of playing the entire Lamb album but no instruments, only percussions and vocals. Tony was understandably thrilled.

^^^^

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Peter has, so he proposed a meeting in Kuala Lumpur to decide whether they are going to do it or not. He said he's be up to it but only after the release of his next studio album and subsequent tour. He dangled the idea of playing the entire Lamb album but no instruments, only percussions and vocals. Tony was understandably thrilled.

This probably says a lot about me but I genuinely can't work out whether or not that entire post is some sort of elaborate satire.

:/

Abandon all reason

• I too like that idea but it would require a right-angled turn by them. Apart from some visual aspects, they were a relatively unadventurous live act with rigid and generally unsurprising setlists. I can't see them suddenly embracing a new or significantly different way of performing or doing some kind of radical setlist.

If they announced a tour where each night there was going to be a lengthy acoustic set featuring just the three of them alone on stage, Phil on light percussion and vocals, that would be an automatic in for me.

In that instance, the setlist wouldn't matter to me because I would be so intrigued to hear their treatment of those songs.

• If they announced a tour where each night there was going to be a lengthy acoustic set featuring just the three of them alone on stage, Phil on light percussion and vocals, that would be an automatic in for me.

In that instance, the setlist wouldn't matter to me because I would be so intrigued to hear their treatment of those songs.

It sounds intriguing but this is what I meant; that sort of thing will always remain pure fantasy. They're not the type of band, love them as I do, to do something like that so removed from their usual MO.

Abandon all reason