Phil: I’m Open to Genesis Reunion With Son on Drums -- Rolling Stone article

• This probably says a lot about me but I genuinely can't work out whether or not that entire post is some sort of elaborate satire.

:/

I suspect who started the thread was being serious, I was just taking the piss out Peter and the stunt he pulled last time with the meeting in Scotland.

The silliness of my post is directly proportional to the unlikelihood of any reunion happening imo.

• I suspect who started the thread was being serious, I was just taking the piss out Peter and the stunt he pulled last time with the meeting in Scotland.

The silliness of my post is directly proportional to the unlikelihood of any reunion happening imo.

The reason I hesitated is that PG once claimed to be pursuing a project to do a sparse stripped-down album and tour of just piano, drums, bass and vocal. So the spartan take suggested in your joke kind of resonated with that! (Of course it went the way of the supposed album that even got as far as having the title I/O, ie it never happened. In fact, a new PG album looks less likely than the Genesis reunion where they play entirely b-sides on cello, harmonium and Javanese temple blocks).

Abandon all reason

• Really - the others are expressing interest? I hadn't heard that.

Well, there's the initial post, quoted below:

...and then there was this from January:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com…-collins-genesis-reunion/

The idea is doing the rounds...

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• If they announced a tour where each night there was going to be a lengthy acoustic set featuring just the three of them alone on stage, Phil on light percussion and vocals, that would be an automatic in for me.

In that instance, the setlist wouldn't matter to me because I would be so intrigued to hear their treatment of those songs.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com

They really, really should have released their unplugged record when it was fashionable. I would have loved too to listen what they would have done with the songs but I admit for me it would also depend on which songs.

• They really, really should have released their unplugged record when it was fashionable.

I'm glad they didn't. The 'unplugged' thing seemed to be ubiquitous at one point and it kind of got a bit "who's next". I'd have been a bit miffed to see them jump on that train with everyone else.

Abandon all reason

• I'm glad they didn't. The 'unplugged' thing seemed to be ubiquitous at one point and it kind of got a bit "who's next". I'd have been a bit miffed to see them jump on that train with everyone else.

Good point but I would have expected them to be original and unique about it, they are after all my favorite band;-)

• I'm glad they didn't. The 'unplugged' thing seemed to be ubiquitous at one point and it kind of got a bit "who's next". I'd have been a bit miffed to see them jump on that train with everyone else.

As solo artist Phil did an unplugged show for MTV. It was in late 1993 or in 1994. A date and time was announced for broadcast, but then for some reason it wasn't broadcast after all. I was very disappointed at the time. Of course it's available now, but I don't remember since when. It's available on Youtube and I have a bootleg of it.

• Ha! I don't hate the idea but I don't think it's going to happen. I think Phil's comments are great though. “I wouldn’t say there isn’t not a possibility,” "I did mention to Tony very quietly if we did anything again it would be with Nic on drums. He kind of didn’t say no. But I’m not sure if he heard me or not.” ^^^^^^

so many double negatives make me dizzy, lol. ^^

• I heard there was some kind of PC-CT falling-out but have never heard any details.

I've not heard of any falling out between them. Like the one-time claim on some other Genesis forum that Phil was angry that the band carried on without him after he left, I believe this is just something made up by a disgruntled fan and has no factual grounding.

• The only episode I've ever read about and actually heard was after Phil left and Chester got word Tony and Mike were working on an album and he volunteered his services but was turned down, specifically by Mike.

• The only episode I've ever read about and actually heard was after Phil left and Chester got word Tony and Mike were working on an album and he volunteered his services but was turned down, specifically by Mike.

I recall on one of the forums someone claiming they had been given confidential information in regards to a falling out between PC and CT, but was unwilling to expand on that point. Beyond that I haven't seen anything to substantiate that.

The thing with Chester and CAS, he didn't want to come in as a session drummer, he wanted input as a band member but was turned down.

• The thing with Chester and CAS, he didn't want to come in as a session drummer, he wanted input as a band member but was turned down.

Yes, he definitely wanted to drum on the album, he had this idea they were somehow going back to their roots which, as he said to Nick D'Virgilio during an interview turned out not to be the case at all with CAS.

• The thing with Chester and CAS, he didn't want to come in as a session drummer, he wanted input as a band member but was turned down.

Yes, he wanted to be a full-time member rather than just a touring musician. I suppose he felt, given his history with the band, that maybe the job was his for the taking. I don't think it was a personal slight against Chester that they didn't take him up on his offer; I think Mike and Tony felt that it was their job to make the album work, that the continued survival of Genesis was their responsibility and nobody else's.