What TV shows have you been watching ?

• https://www.quora.com/Why-does…nstead-of-In-the-hospital

The use of 'the' indicates a reference to a particular, specific hospital. It's a status or condition rather than a location. As an Australian, I also say 'at hospital' and I find 'the hospital' awkward.

• Official Post

Might be the same reason they say “going on holiday” instead of going on a holiday. Maybe our friend Backdrifter can weigh in on this.

• This got me thinking and I will try to express what I thought.

Being 'in' hospital means I have been hospitalized. It's a state of being. Being 'at the' hospital means I'm visiting there. 'in the' hospital would mean the same thing I believe but sounds less right than "at the". So the operating room tech while he is at work is 'in the' hospital but he is not 'in' hospital.

We would never say someone is 'in' library because you can't be libraryized (or whatever the word for being made resident of a library would be). A person would always be 'at the' library.

Be interested in Backdrifter's thoughts here too. There's probably a technical answer I don't know.

• I agree that it's taken more as a reference to a state or situation to say "going to hospital" or "she's in hospital" etc. If the conversation somehow involved referring to a specific hospital then you might say "We had to take him to the hospital", or if you knew the people you were addressing were aware of your local hospital and that they'd assume that's where he was taken. But yes the more usual UK form of "in hospital" is in the same constituency as in prison, at school, at university and going to bed - you wouldn't usually put an article in any of those.

Might be the same reason they say “going on holiday” instead of going on a holiday. Maybe our friend Backdrifter can weigh in on this.

But while you chaps would probably say 'vacation' wouldn't you normally say "He's on vacation"?

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I agree that it's taken more as a reference to a state or situation to say "going to hospital" or "she's in hospital" etc. If the conversation somehow involved referring to a specific hospital then you might say "We had to take him to the hospital", or if you knew the people you were addressing were aware of your local hospital and that they'd assume that's where he was taken. But yes the more usual UK form of "in hospital" is in the same constituency as in prison, at school, at university and going to bed - you wouldn't usually put an article in any of those.

But while you chaps would probably say 'vacation' wouldn't you normally say "He's on vacation"?

Yes that’s true! I don’t know what point I was trying to make actually. Ha. It’s been a long few weeks! 😂

• I understand Backdrifter lives in the Scotland whereas I live in the Midlands but hail from the west firstly the Bristol then that Cheltenham . Our English is not always the same but he has been proper right.

Edited once, last by Mr.Farmer: Checking grammar. ().

• Well, Backdrifter has clearly abandoned London, as every answer there has to start with "So," - Probably where Peter Gabriel got the idea! ^^

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Well, Backdrifter has clearly abandoned London, as every answer there has to start with "So,"

Bit unfair to pin that on London! It's pretty widespread beyond there but that said, I don't hear it very much around these parts, similarly the rising interrogative inflection? Two irritating verbal tropes that seemingly haven't penetrated much into Scotland, thankfully.

Abandon all reason

• https://www.quora.com/Why-does…nstead-of-In-the-hospital

The use of 'the' indicates a reference to a particular, specific hospital. It's a status or condition rather than a location. As an Australian, I also say 'at hospital' and I find 'the hospital' awkward.

so unless I name a specific zoo, I should say I’m going to zoo. Unless I specify which concert I’m attending, I say I’m going to concert? Sounds mega awkward!!!

• So my wife just said “She is hospitalized” in ‘Murcan English is akin to “in hospital?”

You give a good explanation overall.

• This video had me in stitches!!! At 0:33

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

This video had me in stitches!!! At 0:33

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

hahahaha. Love Gaffigan.

• This video had me in stitches!!! At 0:33

On a tangent - and let's face it, the last couple of pages have been one big tangent anyway - this reminds me that people who put together title cards for videos so often have a knack of making them as off-putting as possible. It's quite a skill.

Abandon all reason

• I've watched the first 2 eps of series 2 of Baptiste. It's going to be the final series to feature the Julien Baptiste character who originally appeared in The Missing. Pretty compelling so far.

Abandon all reason