What TV shows have you been watching ?

• The Mash Report on BBC2. Possibly the most nauseatingly smug, preachy “comedy” show I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch some of before switching over. Avoid it like the plague!

Dr Who "Arachnids in the UK" episode on BBC1 earlier wasn't bad though, although probably unwatchable for anyone who hates spiders.

Luckily, I've missed the Mash Report (Or not, depending on your point of view! ;)) but Nish Kumar comes across like that all the time to me, so no surprise. Dr Who recorded, will watch it soon.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The Mash Report on BBC2. Possibly the most nauseatingly smug, preachy “comedy” show I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch some of before switching over. Avoid it like the plague!

Dr Who "Arachnids in the UK" episode on BBC1 earlier wasn't bad though, although probably unwatchable for anyone who hates spiders.

Your advice to avoid The Mash Report like the plague has made me want to seek it out specially! No reflection on you, I hasten to add. But I'm sure I'm not alone in hearing someone say to avoid a show and thinking, I'll have to give it a go.

Dr Who was good. I had to watch it alone for the very reason you gave, as Mrs Backdrifter is so intensely arachnophobic she can barely bring herself to even say the word "spider" let alone see one.

I'm enjoying the new series so far. It's not brilliant - after an excellent opening episode it's settled down into a "pretty good" sort of feel, that first one so far remains the outstanding one for me. "Tim Shaw?" - still makes me chuckle.

Abandon all reason

• I have started watching The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on amazon prime. It is a serial created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, who also created Gilmore Girls. Though the plot is completely different, you find quite a few parallels to GG. The music, the endless talking of the protagonists at top speed, etc. If you liked Gilmore Girls, you will probably like MMM as well, if you didn't, well, I don't know. The story kicks off in the fifties of the last century and describes the life of a young woman, who starts a career as a stand-up comedian out of nothing supported by Lenny Bruce (declaring a truce^^).

Great actors on there, especially Tony Shalhoub (Monk) and Marin Hinkle (Two And A Half Men).

Check it out....

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Your advice to avoid The Mash Report like the plague has made me want to seek it out specially! No reflection on you, I hasten to add. But I'm sure I'm not alone in hearing someone say to avoid a show and thinking, I'll have to give it a go.

Dr Who was good. I had to watch it alone for the very reason you gave, as Mrs Backdrifter is so intensely arachnophobic she can barely bring herself to even say the word "spider" let alone see one.

Oops, I’ll stop mentioning programmes I don’t like if it gives them undeserved publicity! ;)

I thought the most off-putting thing about this Dr Who episode wasn’t the spiders or even the trigger-happy Trump wannabe, it was the ear-splitting burst of grime towards the end.

• Been watching this series over the past week or so... Roger Moore and Tony Curtis.

It's a shame Tony became a drug addict!.. :(.... Apparently he was difficult to work with.

• I have started watching the first season of Downton Abbey today. Very nice. I feel reminded of Upstairs Downstairs, which I loved watching, when I was a kid.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Been watching this series over the past week or so... Roger Moore and Tony Curtis.

I still think this had one of the best opening sequences ever. In about 1 minute, it told you everything you needed to know about the two lead characters. Plus it had a good theme tune.

Abandon all reason

• We finished our re-watching of State of Play on dvd. All these years later, it's still so compelling. I never get tired of it.

Also on dvd, The Trip To Spain which I enjoyed very much.

I'm now up to episode 3 of Le Carre adaptation The Little Drummer Girl on the iPlayer.

And making my way through Gotham season 3 on dvd before diving into season 4 which I have recorded.

Abandon all reason

• (He wasn't my favorite president, but no one can doubt that he was a substantial and historically important person.)

R.I.P., George H.W. Bush

Agreed. My political views lean away from Republicanism, plus he ended his term at a time the US felt the need to go down a different road after 12 red years. But he always seemed a very decent man.

Abandon all reason

• Well that was very weird. My above post was me directly responding to OFTV's post in the RIP thread, hence his quote. But it's ended up here! How can that happen?

Abandon all reason

• Just finished episode 4 and still don't know if I like it or not (I still find it a little confusing)

Let's see if this ends up in the RIP thread....

I know what you mean about being unsure if you like it. So far I feel I want to stick with it. I admit it's partly that I quite fancy her and really like her voice.

Abandon all reason

• Well that was very weird. My above post was me directly responding to OFTV's post in the RIP thread, hence his quote. But it's ended up here! How can that happen?

I don't know, but it has happened before, to me, and it was you, I believe, who reacted to it. It was the post about listening to the superior sound of Elton John, which appeared in the body parts thread.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I don't know, but it has happened before, to me, and it was you, I believe, who reacted to it. It was the post about listening to the superior sound of Elton John, which appeared in the body parts thread.

Got it, I remember. An odd occasional quirk I suppose.

Abandon all reason

• I agree the new Doctor herself is working out well so far. I'm less sure about the companions and the quality of some of the stories. Yes today's was good, way better than last week's disappointment.

Abandon all reason