What TV shows have you been watching ?

• ^ I've been contemplating this one. I vividly recall this sickening case, especially as it took place very close to where I lived at the time.

It might be interesting to see Clunes in a different sort of role. I like the guy and how he comes across in interviews and on panel shows, but haven't been much of a fan of his screen work. It was certainly interesting seeing his old MBB chum Neil Morrissey playing a sour, unlikeable part in Line of Duty, and playing it brilliantly too - he was one of my favourite things about that show.

Last night I enjoyed the drama Brexit: An Uncivil War. I'm a sucker for political dramas and saturated in brexit as I am - as I'm sure we all are in the UK - I couldn't resist it. It's an interesting take, focusing solely on Dominic Cummings and the digital assault tactics he deployed when running the Vote Leave campaign. As a remainer I found a lot of it uneasy viewing and I cringed a few times, mainly from what I instinctively felt was probably a faithful depiction of the woefully poor remain campaign. What came across strongly was the stark contrast between that, with its traditional plodding approach, and Cummings's online "war" approach. There are good performances and it was entertaining in an unsavoury sort of way.

Abandon all reason

• Last night I enjoyed the drama Brexit: An Uncivil War. I'm a sucker for political dramas and saturated in brexit as I am - as I'm sure we all are in the UK - I couldn't resist it. It's an interesting take, focusing solely on Dominic Cummings and the digital assault tactics he deployed when running the Vote Leave campaign. As a remainer I found a lot of it uneasy viewing and I cringed a few times, mainly from what I instinctively felt was probably a faithful depiction of the woefully poor remain campaign. What came across strongly was the stark contrast between that, with its traditional plodding approach, and Cummings's online "war" approach. There are good performances and it was entertaining in an unsavoury sort of way.

This was a thoroughly entertaining drama regardless of which way anyone voted. Obviously some things were altered for dramatic effect, but Benedict Cumberbatch & Rory Kinnear were both excellent (as Rory Kinnear is in every role he plays). I also thought it would be a lot more biased than it actually was: since they had to pack it all into 2 hours it was probably inevitable that some participants would only appear as caricatured cameos.

• This was a thoroughly entertaining drama regardless of which way anyone voted. Obviously some things were altered for dramatic effect, but Benedict Cumberbatch & Rory Kinnear were both excellent (as Rory Kinnear is in every role he plays). I also thought it would be a lot more biased than it actually was: since they had to pack it all into 2 hours it was probably inevitable that some participants would only appear as caricatured cameos.

Banks, Farage, Johnson and the Tory grandees were certainly shallow caricatures which maybe should've been curbed, but then the film was from Cummings's perspective so I thought those portrayals reflected that, giving us his impatient and derogatory view of them.

Yeah I like Kinnear. Going back to our Shakespeare conversation, I saw him play Angelo in Measure For Measure on stage. He went from ineffectual and meek to a snarling shouting psycho in the blink of an eye. It was brilliant.

Abandon all reason

• Manhunt, the true story of the hunt for Levi Belfield (I suppose that could be considered a spoiler, as Ep 3 is on tonight, but since he's been serving a full-term life sentence since 2006, with a further full-term added a few years later, I think it's in the public domain! :)) - Excellently done so far, and Martin Clunes adds a new, heavyweight tone to his palate. Successfully, IMO.

We watched this in one go. It was very compelling, and of course very upsetting too, based as it was on real crimes and pretty horrific ones at that. It conveyed three things very strongly: the depth and extent of Bellfield's sheer nastiness and depravity, the painstaking detail and frustrations/dead-ends involved in investigating a case like this, and the effect on an officer's home life.

The scenes with the parents of Amelie De La Grange were utterly heartbreaking, especially when they visited the site of her death. Probably the thing that most stayed with me was the case of the woman he ran over with his car, then deliberately reversed back over, which gives you an idea of what sort of monster he is. That she survived was astonishing in itself, but despite having her back torn open, her liver split in half, one collapsed and one punctured lung and multiple broken bones (including all her ribs), she dragged herself over to the kerb where her phone had fallen, and called the emergency services, giving a description of the car. She even gave evidence in court when he was on trial. That determination and strength of spirit is unbelievable, and I find it very humbling.

I agree that Clunes handled his role well, indeed I think this is his best work. It's early but I think it's going to be hard to see a better drama series this year.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I just started watching "I Am The Night" mini-series on TNT (Turner Entertainment/Turner International outside of North America). I rarely watch network television anymore, but there was too much to like here:

1) Christopher Pine is the lead actor (I know some may not like the Star Trek reboot films, but I think his updated Kirk is spot on; he also was the male lead in the new movie version of "Wonder Woman")

2) Patty Jenkins directed it (and also had directed the most recent "Wonder Woman" film - thus, these two are working together again)

3) the story in the background is a true and famous Hollywood murder mystery - the story of The Black Dahlia (for those of you living outside the US - or inside, if you are unaware of this story - can find info on this mystery here; fair warning: it's not for the faint of heart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dahlia

The first episode was yesterday and was very good. I have no idea how long it is going on for, but they are advertising it as "Series 1", which leads me to believe that there is at least one additional series planned. So, my Monday evenings are now occupied! 8)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• As an occasional follower of BuzzFeed's Unsolved series, I am aware of the case, and indeed, 2 years after they originally covered it, it has been looked at again as a result of the programme you mention:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• As an occasional follower of BuzzFeed's Unsolved series, I am aware of the case, and indeed, 2 years after they originally covered it, it has been looked at again as a result of the programme you mention:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's very cool! Thank you for posting that.

• I often come to things late. I have only just been devouring the Veep seasons 1-4 dvd boxset. It might be close to overtaking Seinfeld and the Larry Sanders Show as my favourite US sitcom. It's become an addiction, with me watching entire discs in one go. However, the discs are now 600 miles away from me for the next 4 weeks so I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I can't wait to be reunited with them.

Abandon all reason

• I often come to things late. I have only just been devouring the Veep seasons 1-4 dvd boxset. It might be close to overtaking Seinfeld and the Larry Sanders Show as my favourite US sitcom. It's become an addiction, with me watching entire discs in one go. However, the discs are now 600 miles away from me for the next 4 weeks so I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I can't wait to be reunited with them.

Never seen Veep, but used to watch the UK show it span off, The Think of It. I believe Will Smith (the Jersey/UK comedian, brother of wine critic Ollie Smith, not the fresh prince) is responsible for some of the writing (he also wrote and starred in later episodes of the UK show) so no surprise it's good. He is very funny, if you get the chance, listen to his BBC radio 4 Show "The Tao of Bergerec" 4 half hour episodes of brilliant humour, with guest appearances by John Nettles.

Ian

• Not a TV show, a film, but was on BBC2 this afternoon, the absolutely brilliant "A Matter Of Life & Death" with David Niven. Always worth watching.

Ian

• Never seen Veep, but used to watch the UK show it span off, The Think of It. I believe Will Smith (the Jersey/UK comedian, brother of wine critic Ollie Smith, not the fresh prince) is responsible for some of the writing (he also wrote and starred in later episodes of the UK show) so no surprise it's good. He is very funny, if you get the chance, listen to his BBC radio 4 Show "The Tao of Bergerec" 4 half hour episodes of brilliant humour, with guest appearances by John Nettles.

Yes Smith co-wrote some Veep eps and there is writing/directing involvement ftom other Thick Of It alumni such as Simon Blackwell, Tony Roche and Chris Addison. Another former Ianucci compatriot Christopher Morris directs some eps too.

If you enjoyed The Thick Of It you will very likely enjoy Veep, it has very much the same dynamic. I certainly loved The Thick Of It, I think it's one of the best ever British sitcoms. The two 1-hour specials The Rise of the Nutters and Spinners & Losers are its pinnacle. James Smith's performance as Glen having a meltdown is a thing of beauty. Will Smith's character Phil was very good. I'll track down the radio show you mentioned.

Abandon all reason

• Not a TV show, a film, but was on BBC2 this afternoon, the absolutely brilliant "A Matter Of Life & Death" with David Niven. Always worth watching.

It is an enjoyable film. David Niven was a likeable and watchable actor. One of my favourite moments from Parkinson was Parky's hysterical reaction to Niven's wartime story of he and a friend gatecrashing a senior officers fancy dress ball. "What's this - Trubshaw, Niven, goats? Bad show. Damn bad show!"

I like Marius Goring's Conductor character.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I am also quite thrilled by Season 2! Curious how this will all be solved to fit in the time line.

• Yes, they are giving hint after hint but the man himself could not be seen so far. I am enjoying it so far. :)

I am also quite thrilled by Season 2! Curious how this will all be solved to fit in the time line.

I am glad to hear that the current season is enjoyable so far. I still wish they would have shown it on TV as well as streaming, but c’est la vie...

I’ll buy it on BluRay as soon as it comes out, like I did with season 1. 🖖

• Episode 2 was tonight - and, during the 3rd episode next week, it looks like things will seriously get moving... :huh:

• Another interesting Bowie documentary (David Bowie: Finding Fame) on BBC2, this one about his early career, including clips from the Atomic Sunrise festival. It was pleasantly surprising to see how much footage there is of him from the 60s when he was unknown, but such a contrast with how little early Genesis footage exists.

Also good to see Endeavour back for a 6th series, this one set in 1969 ( foxfeeder – did they get the cars right? :/ ). Didn’t spot any Genesis references this time, & there wasn’t one particular dominant theme throughout the episode, although all 3 girl victims were linked via Alice in Wonderland.

• Right now I'm watching live coverage of two of my local football teams, Ross County v Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Cup. I'm supporting ICT as they are the most local. Currently Ross 0 Inverness 1 in the 38th minute.

Abandon all reason