What TV shows have you been watching ?

• Also good to see Endeavour back for a 6th series, this one set in 1969 ( foxfeeder – did they get the cars right? :/ ). Didn’t spot any Genesis references this time, & there wasn’t one particular dominant theme throughout the episode, although all 3 girl victims were linked via Alice in Wonderland.

Funnily enough, that was my only issue with the programme! :) The panda car was a BMC 1100, the reg no suggested it was pre-1964, but the badge on the bootlid was a 1967 or later model! I could be pedantic and suggest that a 1963 BMC 1100 showing so little rust in 1969 was unlikely too, but now I'm just being satirical about UK car build quality in the 1960's!

That said, a very nice episode without the distractions of outside references, just enjoyable in it's own right and using the changes invoked in the last episode of the last series, ie/ being absorbed into Thames Valley, Fred's inability to retire and demotion due to the death of one of his officers. Next week's episode will doubtless include the NASA moon landing, we're in July 1969, and the 20/21 was the date it all happened. That, and the episode is called "Apollo", so perhaps we have some Greek mythology to look forward to. Fountain of Salmacis, perhaps? ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I never watch Endeavour but have recorded the Nocturne episode which aired recently, given its Genesis connection as I was informed elsewhere here. Plus as I said before I'm a big fan of Roger Allam.

Haven't watched it yet, I might give it a go later.

Abandon all reason

• Endeavour again. The multiple murderers & motivations have been getting a bit too numerous & confusing in the past 2 episodes - I lost track of the body count during the last one - but enjoying the references. After last week’s Thunderbirds themed episode, this week it was Chigley/Trumpton/Camberwick Green & a bit of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang & Cadburys. If they screen Endeavour in the US, maybe the President Clinton reference was a tidbit for viewers there who were baffled by all the British kids’ TV nostalgia?

• I finally finished my binge-watch of my all-time favorite British drama (and semi-comedy) Ashes To Ashes. To be honest, I really consider this series parts 3, 4, and 5 of the story that is started by its 2-season predecessor (which I also love) Life On Mars. In fact, since I am already feeling withdrawal symptoms, I am going to watch Life On Mars again very soon. It really is a great show - both series. :thumbup::thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I finally finished my binge-watch of my all-time favorite British drama (and semi-comedy) Ashes To Ashes. To be honest, I really consider this series parts 3, 4, and 5 of the story that is started by its 2-season predecessor (which I also love) Life On Mars. In fact, since I am already feeling withdrawal symptoms, I am going to watch Life On Mars again very soon. It really is a great show - both series. :thumbup::thumbup:

I avidly watched Mars but for some reason I just didn't bother with Ashes. I don't know why, as I am a big fan of Keeley Hawes and had enjoyed Mars. But you say it's a semi comedy? Mars sometimes played on the culture clash aspect for laughs, do you mean in that way?

Genesis link - Philip Glenister is a fan and listed Lilywhite Lilith as one of his top 10 favourite songs.

Pre-Mars, he and John Simm were in the superb one-off drama State of Play in which their characters had a different sort of tense relationship. It's one of my favourite TV programmes and I still watch it every year. When something is such high quality one series of 6 episodes is all you need.

Meanwhile I am enjoying the latest series of Shetland and the new crime series Baptiste whose lead character previously featured in another crime mystery series The Missing.

Abandon all reason

• I avidly watched Mars but for some reason I just didn't bother with Ashes. I don't know why, as I am a big fan of Keeley Hawes and had enjoyed Mars. But you say it's a semi comedy? Mars sometimes played on the culture clash aspect for laughs, do you mean in that way?

Genesis link - Philip Glenister is a fan and listed Lilywhite Lilith as one of his top 10 favourite songs.

Pre-Mars, he and John Simm were in the superb one-off drama State of Play in which their characters had a different sort of tense relationship. It's one of my favourite TV programmes and I still watch it every year. When something is such high quality one series of 6 episodes is all you need.

I’ll answer back to front.

I’ve seen State of Play - it is really good.

If you like Life On Mars, you have to see ATA. The “Sam Tyler” element is in the background the whole series and becomes downright prominent by the end of the 3rd series. In fact, the finale of ATA is really the finale for both series, i.e., everything is explained as much as it could be explained. And it has Keeley Hawes, who is both a great actress and very easy on the eyes. Yes, the cultural aspects (and the appropriate and realistic character flaws) are the source of the humor. Finally, I did know that Phil Glenister was a fellow Genesis fan - another reason to like him.:thumbup:

ATA is intended to be a successor to LOM, at the time, it was claimed John Simm didn't continue after series 2 of LOM as he didn't want to be typecast. The final episode of ATA was a real kick in the guts at the time, it took me a day or 2 to get over it. The whole thing was brilliant, acting, writing and conception. I always feel it took the idea of the great movie "A matter of life and death" and expanded it.

Ian

• Simm & Glenister have also appeared together in Mad Dogs, with Max Beesley and Marc Warren (who appeared in Ashes) and a film called Tu£sday.

Ian

• Simm & Glenister have also appeared together in Mad Dogs, with Max Beesley and Marc Warren (who appeared in Ashes) and a film called Tu£sday.

Ah right, didn't know that.

Marc Warren also being in State of Play, as the slimy Foy, one of my favourite characters.

Abandon all reason

• ATA is intended to be a successor to LOM, at the time, it was claimed John Simm didn't continue after series 2 of LOM as he didn't want to be typecast. The final episode of ATA was a real kick in the guts at the time, it took me a day or 2 to get over it. The whole thing was brilliant, acting, writing and conception. I always feel it took the idea of the great movie "A matter of life and death" and expanded it.

Then, John Simm did what was best for him and, IMHO, what was best for the story to continue. Had the show continued in the original LOM-vein, I don't think they could have continued beyond one more series (two, if they were very creative). Having a different DI (which in turn led to needing a replacement for WPC Cartwright) and moving the whole thing to London were invigorating to the general concept of the show, not to mention the shift in decades. Retaining DCI Hunt, DS Carling, and DC Skelton was also ideal - things were both new and familiar at the same time.

Fully agreed about the final episode and your assessment of the shows in general - about as close to perfection as TV shows get. I haven't seen the movie you mentioned, but I have definitely noted it! :thumbup:

• The BBC reshowed that old TOTP2 programme with a compilation of filmed performances of hits from Genesis & its individual members. I’d seen it before but had forgotten what a range of hairstyles Mike sported over a 20-year period! ;)

• Line of Duty series 5, two episodes in and so far just as gripping as ever.

6 years late, I've finally started watching Broadchurch, series 1 on dvd. I can absolutely see why it was so talked about at the time, it's brilliant and for me could be David Tennant's finest hour.

Abandon all reason

• Line of Duty series 5, two episodes in and so far just as gripping as ever.

6 years late, I've finally started watching Broadchurch, series 1 on dvd. I can absolutely see why it was so talked about at the time, it's brilliant and for me could be David Tennant's finest hour.

Loving Line Of Duty. I think there is going to lots of twists and turns as usual.

You will not be disappointed with Broadchurch - excellent!!!!!

“Without music, life would be a mistake”