What TV shows have you been watching ?

• Yes I mostly like the Trek tv shows, TNG being probably my favourite. I didn't like Voyager at first but warmed to it, although it was largely despite Kate Mulgrew's largely poor performance as the captain. Like you OneForTheVine I never clicked with DS9 or Enterprise. I've seen two episodes of Discovery so far and don't feel any urge to continue with it.

I'm interested to see Picard, I liked that character in TNG and the associated films, and I like Patrick Stewart.

I really like the 'reboot' films to date, I think they've been quite affectionate with regard to the original tv show. The 4th in the series is apparently now back on track with the main cast in place, with release in the next 2 years.D

DS9 my favourite and then OS with Voyager

• May I please entreat you to go beyond the first two episodes of "Discovery"? It seriously gets better as it goes. There were really interesting plot twists that I simply did not see coming. I'm willing to bet you would get into it the further you went.

I haven't seen the first two episodes, I'm not sure where in its timeline I entered but can tell you the first one I watched featured Mudd in a much nastier incarnation than that of the classic series. The other one I saw, possibly the next episode in sequence, I can't remember anything about.

Abandon all reason

• I haven't seen the first two episodes, I'm not sure where in its timeline I entered but can tell you the first one I watched featured Mudd in a much nastier incarnation than that of the classic series. The other one I saw, possibly the next episode in sequence, I can't remember anything about.

Ah...then I have a new recommendation! ^^

Start from the beginning. There is a continuous storyline in that first season. It really is well done.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Ah...then I have a new recommendation! ^^

Start from the beginning.

Blimey, make your mind up! 😜

The Freeview channel airing it in the UK is well into season 1 - from looking it up, based on the Mudd story I saw, I picked it up at S1 ep7. Unless they start again I won't have the chance to start at ep1 any time soon. I might return to it maybe having read a synopsis to that point if I can find one. I've got the general gist of it being placed 10yrs before the classic series.

I think one issue I had was that I found the lead character Michael Thingy quite bland and uninteresting.

Abandon all reason

• I'm halfway through crime drama Deadwater Fell. I wasn't sure at first but am getting into it more after the first two episodes.

It features a small community shocked by a house fire and its aftermath. We are starting to learn unexpected things about the fire, the events surrounding it and the people involved.

A big factor in my committing to it is that it's only 4 episodes long. I wish more series were as compact as this, too often they are given 6,8 or more episodes and they get stretched beyond reason.

I'm enjoying the latest series of Doctor Who, an improvement on the previous one.

I'm gorging on Elementary, the US Sherlock Holmes series which I find superior to the BBC's Sherlock. On dvd I've been binge-watching Seinfeld and Will & Grace.

Abandon all reason

• McDonald and Dodds, a new Detective drama, set in Bath. Only 2 episodes in this first series, but ep.1 was good, and Jason Watkins was excellent as usual, but there was something more, a favourable flavour about the whole thing.

The explanation came at the very end of the credits, it was a Mammoth Production! Same company as Endeavour.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I haven't seen this, or even heard of it, but love Watkins so might have to give it a go.

The Inside No.9 episode featuring him, currently on the iplayer (The Bill), is excellent and he's characteristically good in it.

Abandon all reason

• I'm struggling badly with Star Trek Discovery. I'm going to have to abandon it. The lead characters are so bland and uninteresting, especially Burnham.

You have to see this series from the very beginning or else the Michael Burnham plotline won't make any sense - her relevance is revealed in the first few episodes, and the later episodes are dependent on the earlier ones (obviously).

Hopefully, Freeview will rebroadcast it from the very beginning someday.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• You have to see this series from the very beginning or else the Michael Burnham plotline won't make any sense - her relevance is revealed in the first few episodes, and the later episodes are dependent on the earlier ones (obviously).

Hopefully, Freeview will rebroadcast it from the very beginning someday.

But I don't think my problem is with plotlines, it's with the actual people. I find Burnham annoying and bland, I don't like the actor or her performance. Pretty much everyone else feels quite characterless. I'm a Jason Issacs fan but it feels to me this show sucks the life out of him. How am I suddenly going to like Burnham just because I've seen her story from the start when the actor herself irritates me?

Probably my favourite show right now is Elementary and I picked that up in season 3. Even though I subsequently went back when Freeview started it again, I still missed the first few episodes which I know contain key exposition but it doesn't make a difference as I'm (appropriately enough) addicted.

I think that's the difference - with Elementary I had a strong urge to go back to the start when I could, even though I fluffed that when I had the chance. Same with TNG and Voyager. With Discovery I feel no compulsion to go either backwards or forwards! I totally get that you're a fan and want me to see the positives but there's just no spark there for me.

Abandon all reason

• Decks Dark off Moon Shaped Pool.

Would have been a great Bond theme

Ah, I love that song. It makes me chuckle as the lyric would confirm everything Radiohead haters think about them, being miserable and depressing etc - into your life comes a darkness, nowhere to hide, helpless to resist, in our darkest hour, etc - almost like they were playing to that image. Great song!

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Currently watching MARS on Netflix.

And yes, PICARD as well

• Finally taking time to watch The Wire. Just finished season 3. Superb TV

Oh man, good for you! It's remarkable isn't it.

I'm a huge devotee of season 2 but apparently I'm a bit out of step with most fans on that. But I don't care, I've done two complete 1 to 5 run-throughs and it's still the one that most gets me. The underrated Amy Ryan's performance as an emotional Beadie trying to get Frank to do the right thing - "You're better than the people you've fallen in with..." - heart rending.

Big shock in season 3 eh? Sadly I knew it beforehand as I read an interview that mentioned it, before I'd managed to get that far in the show. I was furious and actually tried to forget I'd read it!

Abandon all reason

• Oh man, good for you! It's remarkable isn't it.

I'm a huge devotee of season 2 but apparently I'm a bit out of step with most fans on that. But I don't care, I've done two complete 1 to 5 run-throughs and it's still the one that most gets me. The underrated Amy Ryan's performance as an emotional Beadie trying to get Frank to do the right thing - "You're better than the people you've fallen in with..." - heart rending.

Big shock in season 3 eh? Sadly I knew it beforehand as I read an interview that mentioned it, before I'd managed to get that far in the show. I was furious and actually tried to forget I'd read it!

Its gripping and the acting first class. Highlights the corruption at the top of police and local government and any empathy goes to those living without hope and emeshed into the spiral of drug taking and selling as the only way of life known. What happened to Frank's son at the end of season 2? Hope some loose ends are covered in next 2 seasons.