What TV shows have you been watching ?

• I identify as a period and find your flaunting of the '?' symbol oppressive and demeaning.

I also hate that John Cleese is in the firing line. Faulty Towers, c'mon?! Can no level of humor transcend being a relic of the time? And I think they were self aware anyway, it's like a nascent South Park, it was funny because it was wrong,

Exactly, Cleese/Booth were making fun of the characters suing the non-PC language.

Remember "Love Thy Neighbour"? That would never get aired now, but Jack Smethurst's character was always the one who came out as the loser in the end.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• War of the Worlds on BBC a few months ago. They changed the story beyond recognition to make it all about a man trying to get a divorce from his wife so he could marry Demelza from Poldark while the Martian invasion that was the whole point of the book just happened quietly in the background. I’m sure the Edwardian divorce laws were unfair, but I rather suspect that’s not what most of the viewers tuned in to see! :/

Also, in a similar vein, Dr Who, though it had lost the plot somewhat anyway, has in the last couple of series or so become so "preachy" it's now completely intolerable.

Ian

• Don’t even suggest it! ^^ Being Genesis fans, the makers might read this & given that all musicians are currently unemployed & TV is desparate for new programmes, it’ll be dragged out into an hour-long concert performance on BBC2 next month, with each band member on his individual Skype screen …. & I bet they won’t even credit you. ;)

Yes it can get pretty dull working from home & the company is in no hurry to return us to a crowded office. At least you can miss the odd meeting by pretending the internet connection’s failed - not that you need to pretend when Virgin Media does it for you anyway :rolleyes:

I'll sue anyway!

Ian

• Also, in a similar vein, Dr Who, though it had lost the plot somewhat anyway, has in the last couple of series or so become so "preachy" it's now completely intolerable.

Well it was never above doing a bit of "messaging". In the Pertwee era it had storylines based on eg environmentalism, colonialism and other socio-political stuff. I'm less bothered by that kind of thing than I am about whether the show is enjoyable and for me it mostly is. After a shaky first series with Whittaker I thought the 2nd one was better. But it hasn't reattained the heights of the Tennant/Smith phase.

As to the Fawlty Towers issue and similar, I think it's a pity we can't just accept times were different and move on, without demonising sitcoms and culling episodes. As you say, it isn't even FT that's among the worst offenders anyway. Love Thy Neighbours and its use of derogatory racial terms reflected the language of the time, sadly, but we're more enlightened on that score now - that show's main problem was just being bloody unfunny.

Abandon all reason

• I believe art can't help but be seen in context of a constantly evolving present, which is why for example I'm fine with Shakespeare stage adaptations being done with modern dress and settings etc, which some people object to. But ultimately it has to work. 19th/early 20th century pieces with a modern filter are fine in theory but like anything it can't be a shotgun marriage.

Updated Shakespeare can be okay but it has to be believable. Anthony Hopkins as King Lear dressed as a tramp pushing a trolley around a grotty shopping precinct was just ludicrous. (Apparently they had to stop filming mid-scene when a helpful passer-by butted in to give him the address of the local homeless shelter ^^ ).

Shakespeare’s plots/concepts often translate better to modern day settings than the actual plays e.g. the film Ten things I hate about you. Similarly, Bridget Jones’ Diary is an inspired updating of Pride & Prejudice.

• Also, in a similar vein, Dr Who, though it had lost the plot somewhat anyway, has in the last couple of series or so become so "preachy" it's now completely intolerable.

Dr Who’s unwatchable now isn’t it? They ram messages down viewers’ throats as unsubtly as possible, whether it’s extinction rebellion, civil rights, gay astronauts or whatever. Completely counter-productive as most viewers get sick of being lectured & switch off what was unmissable in the Eccleston/Tennant/Smith era.

For a more nuanced & interesting take on homosexuality than the makers of Dr Who could imagine, The History Boys was on BBC4 a couple of days ago. Brilliant film set in 1980s Sheffield, made about 15 years ago, but they probably couldn’t make it now for fear of offending somebody!

• I saw the original play and was underwhelmed so didn't bother with the film, but appear to be one of the few people who didn't think it was wonderful.

For a more nuanced & interesting take on homosexuality than the makers of Dr Who could imagine, The History Boys was on BBC4 a couple of days ago. Brilliant film set in 1980s Sheffield, made about 15 years ago, but they probably couldn’t make it now for fear of offending somebody!

Again, different perceptions - I watch Dr Who and never feel I'm having anything rammed down my throat.

Abandon all reason

• Exactly, Cleese/Booth were making fun of the characters suing the non-PC language.

Remember "Love Thy Neighbour"? That would never get aired now, but Jack Smethurst's character was always the one who came out as the loser in the end.

I agree. I Love that show, " Love Thy Neighbour. Love the episode, when Jack Smethhurst's character was going to be eaten alive and put in a pot, with vegetables. ^^

• Myself and my wife during lockdown have revisited Spooks on I Player. When it was originally on we watched a couple of series but this time we thought we try it from the start. Last night we watched the final episode (of 86). Just have the follow up film to watch, then our evenings are free again :)

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Myself and my wife during lockdown have revisited Spooks on I Player. When it was originally on we watched a couple of series but this time we thought we try it from the start. Last night we watched the final episode (of 86). Just have the follow up film to watch, then our evenings are free again :)

It shocked audiences early on with not just the death of a main character but the brutal drawn-out nature of it. The programme makers said they wanted viewers to be unsure who would and wouldn't survive.

Abandon all reason

• Never much liked Torchwood but did enjoy the Children of Earth story. Found it on the BBC iplayer and re-watched it last week, still very good. I was reminded of how good John Barrowman could be in the role of Jack Harkness. And it's possibly Peter Capaldi's finest moment, as tense civil servant Frobisher.

Abandon all reason

• I watched ep1 of Fort Salem. It's about a military training camp for young witches. I'm not sure whether to continue with it. It came across as a mix of Harry Potter, the first hour of Full Metal Jacket, and various highschool movies in which girls are bitchy to each other. Yet, I didn't come away feeling a definite "no" so I'll probably give ep2 a go.

I should just qualify my Harry Potter comparison - in HP world the general public is unaware of the existence of wizards and witches where as in this, the whole world knows there are witches and respects them as one of the armed services.

Abandon all reason

• Just finished Dark. Good ending. It ended at the begining. Not a spoiler. May watch it again in random order of episodes.

I enjoyed Dark a lot. Very intricate storytelling, well acted, well produced. Waiting on the third season of The Rain now. Also started another show called The Woods which has a similar brooding atmosphere to Dark and The Rain (and is in German I think) - the biggest difference I see is no supernatural/sci fi element... Yet!

Edit: I was wrong, The Woods is in Polish