What TV shows have you been watching ?

• Expanse season 5.

Damn I love a good meaty, dark sci fi space opera. Trouble is, most of them are shit but this is gorgeous. Really marries the gritty thing with the vertiginous awesome spacey thing perfectly. Happy it's here while I wait for cobra kai season 3 and more blacklist.

But castle rock :(

• Cobra kai season 3 just finished. First of all, it continues to be absolutely ridiculous how good this show is with no expectations at all. It's hysterical. Johnny is rapidly becoming my favorite character of any show ever.

But also the denouement had a heavy cover of In The Air Tonight that I'd never heard before and made me love the show more.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I switch from cable DVR, live TV, DVD & Blu Ray player, live streaming like Netflix or Prime to my IPTV App (which includes SKY channels). But not enough time, work comes first, so I enjoy that only during evenings.

Due to not being able to afford premium TV subscriptions at the time, I was unable to see Game of Thrones when it came out in 2011 and was popular on HBO. So now much later, I bought all 8 seasons and have been watching them with passion and excitement. The locations and visuals are stunning as is the storyline and characters. I keep craving for more and although I know how it will all end but love seeing how it all unfolded. It is complicated to follow all the different Kingdoms, leniages, origins, battles and even languages but that states how broad this series was. And yes, my favorite character is Tyrion Lannister.

• I switch from cable DVR, live TV, DVD & Blu Ray player, live streaming like Netflix or Prime to my IPTV App (which includes SKY channels). But not enough time, work comes first, so I enjoy that only during evenings.

Due to not being able to afford premium TV subscriptions at the time, I was unable to see Game of Thrones when it came out in 2011 and was popular on HBO. So now much later, I bought all 8 seasons and have been watching them with passion and excitement. The locations and visuals are stunning as is the storyline and characters. I keep craving for more and although I know how it will all end but love seeing how it all unfolded. It is complicated to follow all the different Kingdoms, leniages, origins, battles and even languages but that states how broad this series was. And yes, my favorite character is Tyrion Lannister.

Don't get me started. I'm passionate about it too and I love Tyrion too (but Jorah Mormont has my heart)....8)

• Yesterday completed watching The Serpent, an 8-part drama about 1970s serial killer Charles Sobrhaj. I wasn't sure at first and baulked at it being in 8 parts. But it slowly took hold. It's very well-made and has terrific performances, particularly Tahar Rahim in the title role and Jenna Coleman as his partner, who I think took top honours. It does a good job of making you care for his many victims. The mismatched group of people who become embroiled in trying to bring the killer to justice are also well-portrayed as is their resistance to outrageous inertia shown by some of the authorities who seemed to prefer to leave things alone.

I also enjoyed series 2 of Staged, the 'lockdown comedy' featuring David Tennant and Michael Sheen - or should that be Michael Sheen and David Tennant? (that's an in-joke for fans of the show). Not as good as series 1 but the bar was set very high and it's still good.

All episodes of the above on the BBC iplayer.

Abandon all reason

• On dvd I've been watching Pennyworth, another Batman origins show by the makers of Gotham, this time going back even further by showing the story of Alfred the butler following his discharge from the army and falling in with the young Thomas Wayne in a grimy dystopian London. It goes even darker than Gotham did and is brutally violent. I'm a bit undecided about it so far but on balance liking it enough to continue with it.

Also on dvd, making my way very enjoyably through the complete Elementary.

Abandon all reason

• Don't get me started. I'm passionate about it too and I love Tyrion too (but Jorah Mormont has my heart)....8)

Well now that I am familiar with the main characters, I just watched last week the episode when Jorah gets kicked out of Mereen by his adored Khalisee (not sure how that is spelled but you know what I mean)

• Official Post

We watched "The Blackout" (russian sci fi series) recently - great one

Now "The Bodyguard" on Netflix

• His Dark Materials on HBO MAX. It's a series set in Oxford England, in parallel universes. Very cool and lots of strange phenomenon.

The only thing I like about this show is Ruth Wilson who plays Mrs Coulter, and with whom I'm in love (Wilson, not Coulter). The story... mehhhh.

Abandon all reason

• His Dark Materials on HBO MAX. It's a series set in Oxford England, in parallel universes. Very cool and lots of strange phenomenon.

I watched the first series but found it quite hard going apart from the odd entertaining moment like Indiana Jones & the singing hare, so I didn’t bother with the second series. Perhaps it’s less of an effort to sit through if you’ve read the books, but the first series didn’t make me want to try.

It’s a Sin on Channel 4, a drama about AIDS in the 1980s, is more interesting albeit preachy in places. The period detail is good at nudging the memory, from the wallpaper through student parties to why did men wear those awful synthetic fawn suits? :/

• Technically, a film, not a TV show, but it's on TV this afternoon, BBC2, around 2.15pm, one of the best films ever made, A Matter Of Life & Death. Possibly the conceptual inspiration for Tv's "Life on Mars".

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Australian Open tennis. Haven't seen as much as I would have liked though, and it's a shame the crowd can't be there. The whole thing has been troubled in that regard. I do love a tennis grand slam though and the stories that tend to develop over the two weeks. Women's game deeper than the men's currently but that swings every few years.