TotW 09/01/2018 - 09/07/2018: GENESIS - The Fountain Of Salmacis

• In Steve's version of the song, he follows the line "forever to be joined as one" by singing "one flesh." I always thought that was something he added to the song (along with an acoustic guitar intro and various brief instrumental bits). However, I just noticed last night (some 40 years after first hearing the song) that Peter seems to sing the same thing in the original version! Just not very loudly. Anyone else ever notice this? Am I hearing things?

(For the record, I have an early CD copy of the album, predating the Definitive Edition Remaster. Maybe the line is more audible on later reissues?)

I thought Peter also sang the line on the 1972 "Belgium TV" video. Could be wrong-haven't watched that one in years. Regardless, I always sing that line whenever I play the song :)

• In Steve's version of the song, he follows the line "forever to be joined as one" by singing "one flesh." I always thought that was something he added to the song (along with an acoustic guitar intro and various brief instrumental bits). However, I just noticed last night (some 40 years after first hearing the song) that Peter seems to sing the same thing in the original version! Just not very loudly. Anyone else ever notice this? Am I hearing things?

(For the record, I have an early CD copy of the album, predating the Definitive Edition Remaster. Maybe the line is more audible on later reissues?)

As soon as I read this I put that bit on and have just listened really closely to it three times and can't hear anything after 'one'.

Bear in mind that while the 07/08 reissues made some bits clearer, others became less clear or vanished. I can't say I ever picked up on the 'flesh' on any of the previous versions I had. But I'm not assuming I'm not missing it somehow!

Abandon all reason

• I thought Peter also sang the line on the 1972 "Belgium TV" video. Could be wrong-haven't watched that one in years.

I've never heard a live performance of the song with Peter singing. It would be interesting to know if he did sing that line in any of them.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I've never heard a live performance of the song with Peter singing. It would be interesting to know if he did sing that line in any of them.

DavetotheB is correct; here is the Belgium 72 broadcast and at 04:30 PG follows "forever to be joined as one" with "one FLESH!" It's an add-on he's extemporised there and then; unless my hearing is really bad, I don't get any hint of it on the studio original (at least on the 08 reissue which is all I have).

Abandon all reason

• I don't get any hint of it on the studio original (at least on the 08 reissue which is all I have).

Maybe a little off-topic, but... that's one more indication of why I wouldn't bother with any Genesis reissue after the Definitive Edition Remasters.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

Just a quick note here: The line "one flesh" is definitely heard in the early CD copy I have, and is definitely not heard in the later mix (1970-75 box set).