Working title: unknown

Credits: Collins

Lyrics: Yes

Length: 4:23

Musicians: Phil Collins, Daryl Stuermer, Leland Sklar, Sting

Played Live: 1985 (Live Aid), 1997

mp3 downloads:

Cover versions: none

Notes: Long Long Way To Go is a ballad. It is the odd one out on the album, perhaps even a hidden gem. Far more unobtrusive than in-your-face pop hits like Sussudio and Don't Lose My Number, Long Long Way To Go represents the quiet, unconventional part of the album. And it's our Track Of The Week.

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread.

If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

• I see this as one of four tracks out of kilter with the pounding pop-rock of this album, the other three being Inside Out, Take Me Home and We Said Hello Goodbye.

I like the moody, atmospheric nature of it. For me, it and those other three are the best tracks on the album.

Abandon all reason

• This is one of my favorite Collins tracks, maybe one out of five worth 15 points.

I remember he played in live in 1997 solo on the e-piano. Absolutely amazing tune. The studio version also features Sting on backing vocals.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Love the song, didn't know exactly how to grade it so I took ITAT as a reference, that's a 15 in my book, this one's a 12. One of the few songs, perhaps two, on an album I could never really stomach.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• If it weren't for "Inside Out," "Take Me Home" and "We Said Hello Goodbye" (my favorite Phil solo song), I might not even own NO JACKET REQUIRED. That said, "Long Long Way To Go" isn't bad. Subject-wise, it seems to belong on BUT SERIOUSLY.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Official Post

13 points from me. I always loved that track, though the sound is pretty much eighties. He should have played that one more often!

• If it weren't for "Inside Out," "Take Me Home" and "We Said Hello Goodbye" (my favorite Phil solo song), I might not even own NO JACKET REQUIRED. That said, "Long Long Way To Go" isn't bad. Subject-wise, it seems to belong on BUT SERIOUSLY.

Same thing, this ballad was in fact a good song. Help by Sting in the background vocals. The major problem of this song, was the ending. In fact, the ambiance was haunting, the harmony of Sting with Phil voice add a dramatic thing in the song and the lyrics was very good, but in fact, the song ending too brutally while the song not finished (at the 4.21). The Live Aid and the live version in 1997 in fact was more better with the ending not ending like in the album.

• Same thing, this ballad was in fact a good song. Help by Sting in the background vocals. The major problem of this song, was the ending. In fact, the ambiance was haunting, the harmony of Sting with Phil voice add a dramatic thing in the song and the lyrics was very good, but in fact, the song ending too brutally while the song not finished (at the 4.21). The Live Aid and the live version in 1997 in fact was more better with the ending not ending like in the album.

The way it ends is the entire point of it - 'turn it off'. It's extremely effective & I believe a nod to Turn It on Again(as I already said).

• 14 points ...

one of his strongest ballads. And Sting clearly on backing vocals.

I loved it when he did that one in 97

... make tomorrow today!